Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Noise After timing belt!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Help! Noise After timing belt!

Hey guys I just got done changing my timing belt, balance belt, and accessories belt but now I am getting a very odd noise like a bearing is about to go. Both of the belts spin freely and do no heat up at all. Also, all of the pulleys including the water pump were changed and everything was torqued. I have never experienced this noise before when performing timing belt jobs but there's a first time for everything right? This is my daily driver for work and school so I need to get the car running ASAP!

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/...205_212919.mp4
Old Feb 5, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure if you know this trick but get a long screwdriver or prybar and put the metal end on the alternator housing. Then put your ear on the handle end to listen for bearing noise. Move to every component until you pin point the noise. The one that's bad will be noticeably louder.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it sounds like bearing noise, acts like bearing noise, must be bearing noise, right?

Poke around to see if you can hear it, but if it's anything on the block I'd be afraid to poke around there with that belt moving. You could try taking the belt back off (yeah, I know, shoot me) and seeing if any of the pulleys feel loose, don't turn as they should, or make noise when you spin them.

Everything you replaced with bearings in it is immediately suspect too. New parts can be bad out of the box.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds kind of like a bearing but almost like there is something bouncing around in there. Any screws drop into anywhere? How are you balance shafts? Lined up? My oil pump balance shaft was flipped 360 but didn't sound like that. Use a screwdriver like the person above mentioned and put one side to your ear and the metal part on various parts in the engine bay. Where is the sound coming from, top or bottom of the motor? Also one more thing to check would be the auto tensioner, did you re-adjust? Even the new ones have to be adjusted
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizzo 8
Not sure if you know this trick but get a long screwdriver or prybar and put the metal end on the alternator housing. Then put your ear on the handle end to listen for bearing noise. Move to every component until you pin point the noise. The one that's bad will be noticeably louder.
Will do this once I get home from school tonight man! Thank you for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by cmspaz
If it sounds like bearing noise, acts like bearing noise, must be bearing noise, right?

Poke around to see if you can hear it, but if it's anything on the block I'd be afraid to poke around there with that belt moving. You could try taking the belt back off (yeah, I know, shoot me) and seeing if any of the pulleys feel loose, don't turn as they should, or make noise when you spin them.

Everything you replaced with bearings in it is immediately suspect too. New parts can be bad out of the box.
It has to be one of the serpentine belt pulleys because I started the vehicle for a couple seconds prior to putting it all back together. The car idled perfect with no noise at all. The noise started as soon as I put the new serpentine belt on.

Originally Posted by tstevens
Sounds kind of like a bearing but almost like there is something bouncing around in there. Any screws drop into anywhere? How are you balance shafts? Lined up? My oil pump balance shaft was flipped 360 but didn't sound like that. Use a screwdriver like the person above mentioned and put one side to your ear and the metal part on various parts in the engine bay. Where is the sound coming from, top or bottom of the motor? Also one more thing to check would be the auto tensioner, did you re-adjust? Even the new ones have to be adjusted
I am very confident that nothing was dropped. My balance shaft is right where it's supposed to be. I move the shaft close to the timing mark and it lines itself back up clockwise and counter-clockwise. Although when inside the car with the windows up I can hear the power steering pump whine quite a bit when I turn the wheel but there is fluid in the reservoir.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your balance belt is 180 out..... thats the whine noise, that or your belt is to tight. But I have a feeling your balance shaft is 180 degrees out. Did you put a screw driver in the block to make sure it was at the correct position?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

As I have stated above my balance shaft is not 180 degrees out. The timing belt isn't too tight because I ran the car before putting it all back together. The belts aren't heating up either and spin freely. Can the tension be adjusted on the serpentine belt?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Did you replace/ remove the lifters?
can you make the noise go away by removing the serpentine belt?
Is it possible the lower timing cover is installed a little crooked and is rubbing on one of the belts?
is the crank trigger wheel installed correctly?
is it possible the crank position sensor came loose?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
It has to be one of the serpentine belt pulleys because I started the vehicle for a couple seconds prior to putting it all back together. The car idled perfect with no noise at all. The noise started as soon as I put the new serpentine belt on.
Now we're getting somewhere! You said you replaced all the pulleys, I'm assuming you mean not just timing, but tensioner and idler as well? So we're down to those and the water pump. New or rebuilt pump?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

So sorry about all the commotion you guys but I do appreciate the help. It was just low on power steering fluid...FML
The following users liked this post:
SoSoEVO (Jun 16, 2020)
Old Jun 15, 2020, 04:01 PM

[QUOTE=MuslimEvoFreak;9943688]Hey guys I just got done changing my timing belt, balance belt, and accessories belt but now I am getting a very odd noise like a bearing is about to go. Both of the belts spin freely and do no heat up at all. Also, all of the pulleys including the water pump were changed and everything was torqued. I have never experienced this noise before when performing timing belt jobs but there's a first time for everything right? This is my daily driver for work and school so I need to get the car running ASAP!

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/...205_212919.mp4[/QUOTE

Hey mate I had a horrible whine after doing the timing belt, turned out to be the kevlar timing belt making the noise. The noise sounded like the belt was too tight but when swapped to a rubber gates belt it was fine. Just a head up for anyone else who runs into this!