Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust theory and my IX MR. Tapered exhaust. Fujitsubo / Supersprint.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow read this whole thread, and i know you said that exhaust replaces the downpipe back, umm to be honest unless there's another pipe missing it don't, that looks like it bolts on to the downpipe in place of the front of where the cat flange would be. As far as exhaust diameter, on smaller turbos ie older dsm's that flow a bit less airflow it might not help as much with a 3" exhaust, over a 2.5 or a 2.75 all the way back, kinda the same thing with 2.5" intercooler piping over 3". Now op you gotta ask yourself do you plan on staying with a stock turbo, if your answer is yes then this exhaust system will do. However if you ever plan to go bigger, not saying this exhaust wont be good, but there is a possibility at a 400+ hp level it might be somewhat of a bottleneck, which can rob you of hp on your dyno day. Which then if your tuner recommends a bigger diameter exhaust system you'll be kicking yourself in the a$$ for having to spend your money twice. I say that because ive had to spend money on a few parts twice because i thought they would be good.
Just remember one thing: Look at a fast food place, don't those burgers look good on the commercial, but when you get it in front of you its not the same, long story short pictures can be deceiving.
Good luck and buy the 3".
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm no genius... nor an expert on any level of engine building and modification. but what i can tell you is my stock evo on 91oct at 25psi picked up about 20 hp and a good bit of torque when i installed my cobb 3'' which i still run with the mods in my sig. albeit without tuning.

the one catch in my situation is i was also running the xede with a base flash so i may have just fallen into its real performance range.
either way, i can see this going both ways. i dont see thermal heat transfer or the lack there off having much effect on exhaust flow that far down the pipe. i know at my test pipe my exhaust has never been hot enough to burn me. and the taper in the theorized exhaust is unless i read wrong. after that.
on the flip side maybe the restriction causes a heat pocket which accelerates gases and causes a vacuum effect increase velocity thru out the entire exhaust. idk

All in all the only way to figure this out in the end is 3 pulls on a dyno. 0-1 smoothing... install new pipe... 3 more pulls with 0-1 smoothing
then average the three pulls in order dont mix and match to bias one side or the other.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to be clear, the Supersprint full exhaust for the stock turbo is 70mm all the way.
The 63.5 mm has been made for regulations reason in the Group N class, where you can't have an exhaust bigger than the stock one.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It would be interesting to see a good stock turbo setup with 2.5", 2.75" and 3" exhaust, all well made with minimum bends and the largest bend radius you could fit on each with straight through mufflers of equal lengths. In that situation, I could potentially see the smaller exhausts making nearly equal power up top and gaining low end.

The problem though with all these comparisions mentioned is that you could have a garbage 3" and a good 2.5" and the 2.5" could spool better and make more power simply because it's a better design.

Also, I imagine it's going to be setup dependent anyway. A setup that relies more on low backpressure (high overlap cams, a big turbine wheel, and moderate boost) is going to probably act a lot different then something like a stock turbo mild cam setup with little overlap and tons of boost.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:36 PM

Well, we may be in luck.

Gardus, do you have dyno comparisons of all three of your systems; 63.5mm, 70mm, and 80mm?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:59 AM

I think I do, I need to check in the archives.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 8, stock engine, stock cams, Ralliart piping and suction pipe, injectors & pump, CBRD 3" vband dump and front + 100cpsi HFC with a BBK Full @ 21.5 psi (for this) and I have a 2.5" ralliart Ti catback and a 2.75" HKS Super Turbo catback that I just did back to back testing with. No difference between the two at all in terms of power and toque. They both go from the 3" cat flange to the 2.5" flange on the catback so this may skew things a little but I'd have thought the 2.75" would flow better as both are straight through systems just different diameter piping. I intend to run the ralliart Ti with a modified cat that tapers from 3" to 2.5" to smooth the transition. A local guy just made 332kw with a dump back 2.75" system so I think I'll be right for my goals on the 2.5" catback and 3" front end. I'd love to see some dyno testing though.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by burnzy
how come the bigger exhaust gained spool in the top dyno and lost spool in the second one? seems to have lost a good 800rpm? dunno if i would trade 800rpm for 50 up top
I forgot to mention that I had employed a different boost control strategy between the 2 that got me better spool as well as some MIVEC changes down low. The ambient temp was a little lower as well.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Going to smaller pipe isnt something i like. Giving back pressure works great on supercharger. Hey when you doing a test, will you also watch EGT as well? Good luck
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Jerry,

There was more to that post that I needed to add and didnt get in before I pressed Post (then I was on the dyno for the last week). I increased spool with an addition 7* of MIVEC advance down low (45* total), some WG spring changes, and the aforementioned cooler inlet temps. I have never seen any advantage to smaller exhaust. I know you arent advocating it, but you cant interpret my data that way either since the muffler didnt add spool just lost power.

General-

We do LOTS OF TESTING. I have tested basically every bolt on combo there is in the last 3 years. For instance, in addition to cam testing, fuel testing, exhaust testing, intake manifold testing, turbo testing, we just got done testing 2 cars with individual EGT probes. It will take me a little while to get all the data quantified and really only will appeal to endurance applications but we dont sit idly by. When I say something doesnt work, I am not going off half cocked, it means we have tried it and learned something.

If this exhaust is actually 70mm ID (2.75) its not the same as running 2.5" ID obviously and all my points, while applicable, have a little more room for variation in a discussion vs generic 3" exhaust.

Aaron
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crx-si
damn aaron, now you make me tempted to fire up my welder and make a 4" alum exhaust for my car
Huy,

I switched to a 4" downpipe to 3.5" turbo back with 60mm dumps on the testpipe. That is from a 3" to 3.5" with dumps which I had last year.

Backpressure is the devil.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is really not complicated....

With a turbo car, a larger exhaust will ALWAYS make more horsepower with a given set of parts. Even with a stock turbo.

All these "tests" that you guys reference showing the smaller diameter pipe making more horsepower than the larger diameter pipe are forgetting one very important detail... RE-TUNING FOR THE LARGER DIAMETER PIPE.

I promise you I can take a bone stock Evo and put a 3inch downpipe on it with a 3inch exhaust system and make more power with those exact stock parts because I have now reduced backpressure, which is the enemy of turbos. You say, "But the tests show a loss of torque down low!"

Of course that happens. The car has now leaned out due to less backpressure and I guarantee you it wants MORE FUEL THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE FUEL MAP, but especially in the midrange, where torque gets going... Once you add some fuel to those areas of the map, sit back and watch the torque figures jump right back to where they were and then leave the stock numbers in the dust. Same thing with the horsepower.

Last edited by way2qik; Mar 28, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:50 AM

I agree with you.
In fact, our exhaust are specifically developed for stock cars, no remap or anything else.
That's the reason why we offer the 80mm exhaust as well.

Some backpressure is useful for:
Cars with stock boost and engine management, as they are not able to compensate.
Spool up time.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Backpressure is the devil.