Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Tune?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad Tune?!

Whats up guys, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong section, I bought a 03 evo 8 a few months ago and I recently got tuned on E85 @26 psi making 350/370 on a mustang dyno.

First of all I've been getting a lot of backfire, usually when im just cruising in 4th or 5th gear. I've launched the car a few times and got backfire when launching it too. Isn't this a sign of running rich? I've also been over boosting to 30 psi in 4th and sometimes 3rd.

Also, after driving for a while the car makes a weird noise at idle, like a hiccup, not always, but most of the time. This started after getting it tuned. Ill post a video later maybe.

Lastly, when starting the car up already warmed up the RPM's will bounce up down from like 400-800 for a minute or so and sometimes it sounds like I have mild cams.

P.s. Already put new spark plugs in. BPR8ES gapped at .020

This is my first evo so I don't know much about them but i'm pretty sure I got a bad tune and i'd like to hear what u guys think. I took it back to the tuner a few days ago and he tried adjusting the tune, but I think he just made it worse. He laughed when I told him about the idle noise? Should I get it re-tuned somewhere else???

Mods:
Catless 3in Exahust
ETS Intake
ETS uicp/licp
Hallman mbc
Evo 9 BOV
FIC 1050cc
Walbro 255
E85

Last edited by BiHBeast; Sep 29, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this "tuner" specialize in Evo's?

If anyone from a shop ever laughed at me when I brought up a concern about the work or anything that feels off, I'd immediately fine someone else. Sounds like they need to brush up on their customer service.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:54 PM

Yeah all the cars in the shop were Evo's..And it took him about 4 days to get back to me after I left him a message
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done a boost leak test? That would be my first thing to check. A boost leak could cause some of the issues you are describing.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

350/370 mustang is GREAT numbers for your mods I feel like. I mean, you essentially have intake and exhaust with e85. Concerning everything else I'd say something else is up. Compression test / leak down test / boost leak test might shed some light on it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:02 PM

Boost leak test it is
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:54 PM

If you dont have one already. They are pretty easy to make this is for a slightly more elaborate one, but you'll get the idea....
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are so many things that could cause your issues bro. Boost leak is the least likely to cause a backfire imho... But its not so hard that it isnt worth the effort.. Compression will give you the best idea of your motor health and leak down will isolate any issues. Just get a quality tester or make your own and test above 60psi. Harbor frieghts 14psi. Tester makes every motor look perfect.

When you got some test results we can give more in depth advice. Depending on mileage checking the timing is quick and a good idea. If its back firing and not just sounding like it, it will probably be the cause. If you had a bad tune it would have immediately manifested and not months down the road. If at all possible flash a stock tune into the car and rescale the injectors. There is a how to on here. That will isolate the tune for certain. Best of luck. Let us know when your done with testing and what you got
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:50 PM

^ The idle problem occurred the second day after getting tuned, as well as the rough warm starts, so it would most likely be the tune right? But just recently been getting backfire.

Thanks for the replies though, i'll start with a boost leak test and just go from there