Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing ethanol content testing, mind blown.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing ethanol content testing, mind blown.

Alright…….long story, I'll make it as short as possible and try to get all the information in this I can.

We have drums of purchased E98 here at the shop. After putting some in a few cars with flex fuel sensors the ethanol content was coming up way short of the expected E98 reading. I assumed that the ethanol had taken on water from condensation and that was the problem.

I did a lot of Google searching to find out what happens when water is introduced to ethanol and how it effects the reading on the meter…….I found nothing.

I decided to build a test fixture for transferring fuel from the drums to the cans/cars and then we would know as it was pumped what the ethanol content was.

Now as a side note, before you watch the video. I became interested in ethanol back around 2004 and applied for Small Ethanol Plant Permit and have been making ethanol at home through a Reflux Still I also built. I was hoping this new test device I built was going to shorten the process of testing that ethanol. I was wrong. In the video I tested some E90 I produced and in the video I verified the E90 (other 10% in my ethanol is water) with a hydrometer before the testing, also in the video.

I'll skip forward to answer some of the obvious questions.

The Ethanol Content Analyzer after talking with Zeitronix, does NOT test ETHANOL content. It actually test for GASOLINE content in the flex fuel sensor and then the ECA does the math for us telling us what the percentage of ethanol is or I think more accurately, what percentage of what is going through the flex fuel sensor is NOT gasoline. You will understand that more after watching the video.

Enjoy.

Last edited by David Buschur; Jun 26, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The link is not working David.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the information David!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry!! Link is fixed.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
LOL talk about insane. So if I took a **** in your tank your eth content would stay the same, since the amount of gas wouldln't change.
Glad i'm sticking to methanol with a wideband failsafe.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder why the tap water shows E100?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very informative, good job as always David
Old Jun 26, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

There is a Part 2 coming today or tomorrow.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whoa! isn't that the same sensor on most of the newer "flex" ECU (eg: E-manage Ultimate) ?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Whoa! isn't that the same sensor on most of the newer "flex" ECU (eg: E-manage Ultimate) ?
There is nothing wrong with the sensor.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Thanks for conducting this test; it is very interesting. Every time I fill up I test my e85 to make sure its actually on par. I was traveling one time and tested the fuel at a random station and it came out to like e50. Glad I tested it with my little test tube thingy.

David- Im a little confused though with your findings. I understand that the sensor tests for presence of gas not ethanol and then draws its conclusions from that. What I dont get though is when you tested 100% water it came out to e100 because it didnt find any gasoline thus the rest was assumed to be ethanol. OK that makes sense. However when you tested your brewed ethanol which you know to be 90% with the other 10% being water right now it came out to 0% ethanol. How could that be? Why wouldnt it also show it to be e100 like the water sample since there is 0% gasoline in it?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Thanks for conducting this test; it is very interesting. Every time I fill up I test my e85 to make sure its actually on par. I was traveling one time and tested the fuel at a random station and it came out to like e50. Glad I tested it with my little test tube thingy.

David- Im a little confused though with your findings. I understand that the sensor tests for presence of gas not ethanol and then draws its conclusions from that. What I dont get though is when you tested 100% water it came out to e100 because it didnt find any gasoline thus the rest was assumed to be ethanol. OK that makes sense. However when you tested your brewed ethanol which you know to be 90% with the other 10% being water right now it came out to 0% ethanol. How could that be? Why wouldnt it also show it to be e100 like the water sample since there is 0% gasoline in it?
That is the most confusing part for me too. I don't understand it myself.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I should have asked the question diffently. So this thingy should be called Fluid-That-Is-Not-Gasoline Sensor.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
That is the most confusing part for me too. I don't understand it myself.
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dense.

As I think about it, Im not sure it really matters that it shows 100% when testing water because realistically it should never be subjected to those conditions in the first place.

I guess the question remains though, will it pick up on the presence of water assuming the fuel is contaminated?

I want to say yes since as you add water to the sample the amount of ethanol is staying the same thus its % relative to the gasoline and now the water would go down. Is that a fair assumption?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dense.

As I think about it, Im not sure it really matters that it shows 100% when testing water because realistically it should never be subjected to those conditions in the first place.

I guess the question remains though, will it pick up on the presence of water assuming the fuel is contaminated?

I want to say yes since as you add water to the sample the amount of ethanol is staying the same thus its % relative to the gasoline and now the water would go down. Is that a fair assumption?
It will not detect water until the ethanol is extremely contaminated with it, new video coming to show that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing ethanol content testing, mind blown.