Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank no start? Please help me someone!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank no start? Please help me someone!

So my evo has been running like a champ and then we had a really cold snow storm. When I tried to start the evo outside in the snow. It fired up for about 2 seconds then it died out . my battery is basically brand new , I also checked all of my fuses and relays and they are all working properly. I then checked to make sure I have spark and I am. So it took me to a fuel issue. I made sure my fuel pump was getting power and it is. I have an aerommotive pump and it's been in my evo for almost 3 years. This car is my daily . I then pulled my pump out to see if it was kicking on and off . So with my key to the on position, the pump does not prime. But when I start to crank it , the pump turns on but it doesn't sound that powerful. I also checked to see if I had fuel going to my injectors. So I pulled the fuel lines under my hood and I found that there isn't any fuel making it up to the front. Should I start with a new fuel pump? I'm not to familiar with the aerommotive pumps and I'm also still learning a lot about my evo. I also checked my wiring in the kick panel to make sure the wires were not broken / corroded and they are in great shape. Any ideas on what to start with? Should I just try a new pump? Or are there any common problems with these evo 8s? Thanks guys! Any help would mean the world to me! I miss driving her!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 02:05 AM

Do you know anybody else with a good pump you could swap just to make sure it is your pump?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:45 PM

Sadly I don't know anyone :/ so should I just get another $100 aerommotive pump and just try it out?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel pump won't prime, it just sends fuel when the engine is cranking or running. It wouldn't sound powerful because the starter is using a ton of battery when cranking. I test for fuel by pulling the fuel line off the rail on the drivers side and put the line in an empty container then crank the engine to see if it gets fuel. I had a very rare issue with my car where it wouldn't start and after a month of swapping ECUs, crank angle sensor, plugs, and un-looming the whole wire harness under the hood that lead to a wire tuck, it turned out to be a failed immobilizer that I found by disabling it in ECUFlash.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:04 PM

I pulled the fuel line on the fuel rail to see if the fuel was making it to the front and it's not. Would that just mean the pump is bad then since it doesn't prime until you crank it? start with the pump? Where are the evo 8's fuel pump relays?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lSimplyMel
I pulled the fuel line on the fuel rail to see if the fuel was making it to the front and it's not. Would that just mean the pump is bad then since it doesn't prime until you crank it? start with the pump? Where are the evo 8's fuel pump relays?
I have the same pump--- put a hose on the side to the fuel rail and suck--that will prime the pump and get gas in your mouth-- but if it saves you 100.00 worth it.
Same thing happened when I installed my pump and took 3 days and 3 installs to figure that out-- good luck.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:33 PM

So you don't think I need a new pump then?