Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine dies upon release of key to "run" position

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine dies upon release of key to "run" position

2006 evo with 36k miles. Using AEM V2.

The engine will crank and start but then dies as soon as I release the key to the run position. I can keep the engine running if I hold the key from returning to the run position. In other words, as soon as the engine starts, I pull back on the key just enough to stop engaging the starter but not all the way back into the run position. The engine will stay running like that for as long as I can hold the key, but as soon as I let it go to return to run position, engine immediately shuts off.

I have already replaced the ignition switch and my issue remains.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Hmm, I wonder when the ECU start sampling the crank sensor. If no reading from the crank sensor, no fuel.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

I made an adjustment to my aem and it worked at lunch today. It started and I was able to release the key and keep it running. What I did was turned off oil pressure control. My theory behind it was that the control feature comes in when the oil pressure is below 12.5 psi and it had a delay time of 0.0ms. So, when I go from start to run position, my gauge always resets and I am thinking its sending a 0 signal to the ecu therefore telling it to shut off. Does that make any sense?

I just can't make the connection of why it worked last week with oil pressure control on.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
it makes sense yes, but that's a dangerous thing to do. far better to have all the warning lights go off and let you quickly clutch in and shut down manually than to automatically shut off the engine unless it's not a street-driven car
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I just need to make some adjustments to the oil pressure failsafe. Give it a longer delay or just re-wire my gauge so it does not reset when I come off of start. this is not a daily driver, its a weekend fun/track car