Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Curious about S1 vs S2 vs Kelford 272s for my setup

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curious about S1 vs S2 vs Kelford 272s for my setup

From before I bought my Evo I had my heart set on GSC S2 cams. But of late I've been contemplating S1s or Kelford 272s.

Yes, I know there are plenty of comparisons out there which I've read but i'd still like an idea of approx. how much hp vs tq I can expect based on my current setup.

My goal is for usable, streetable power, no need for 500whp. Gearbox is a short ratio RS with a Cusco diff in the rear.

Here are the specs:
1998 Mitsubishi Evo 5 RS
JDM Evo 8 4G63 stock motor
ACL main & conrod bearings
ARP Head Studs
Evo 8 Front Housing
EF4 Ported Back Housing
Tubular Manifold (ported)
Tial External Wastegate
Custom 2.5" Intercooler Piping
Tial BOV
AMS 3.5" Intercooler
Aeromotive 330lph Stealth Fuel Pump
STM Fuel Line Kit (from hardline to rail)
STM ProClassic Oil Cooler Kit
SpeedDensity
Evo 8 ECU
Hallman Manual Boost Controller
K&N Air Filter
Gates Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Delete
Cusco Oil Catch Can
3" Downpipe to 3" exhaust to a Ractive muffler (cat has been deleted - it's still legal here)

I don't expect anyone to give me exact #s but i'm hoping someone can give me a comparison between the S1, S2 and the Kelford 272.

Also, do I need to upgrade valvetrain if I use all of the above? What injector size would be ideal (it currently has stock)?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
with a e5 engine it is advisable to upgrade the valve springs and retainers.. you can get a set of used evo 8/9 springs and retainers and that will work with a s1 cam... for s2 you need stiffer springs..
Old Dec 28, 2016, 07:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
What Kiki said. Find some 8/9 springs and retainers and out the GSX s1's in it.

Also sell that MAP turbo before it blows up.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
What Kiki said. Find some 8/9 springs and retainers and out the GSX s1's in it.

Also sell that MAP turbo before it blows up.
Whats wrong with the MAP turbo? I've been running a beta turbo since 2010 with no issues until i put the 2.4 in. TO the op, I loved my s2 cams. They will be going up for sale as soon as I can get them ready to be sold out of the garage and pics taken, but to answer your question S1< kelfored 272s< S2 cams. Idk why kelford gets such a bad name from people being tuners seem to not want to take the time to get them dialed in or something. IDK i loved my s2 cams got rid of them for Kelford 288s and made way more power with them in my setup.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
MAP turbo are generally accepted as being terrible. They don't spool well for the power they make, and they are unreliable.

S1's will be fine for his power goals. GSC S22's over kelford 272's because they make a bit more peak power, without giving up spool or torque.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
MAP turbo are generally accepted as being terrible. They don't spool well for the power they make, and they are unreliable.

S1's will be fine for his power goals. GSC S22's over kelford 272's because they make a bit more peak power, without giving up spool or torque.
Hmm I have never had any issues with mine at all. Poor spool being people tend not to know how to spool them or they are on stock 2 liters which dont spool for ****. I know on my stock 2 liter best spool up i could get was 4800 and that was 38 lbs of boost. I don't think that is all that bad for what the turbo is. Sure you get a bb turbo you get better spool blah blah blah.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have been having a ton of setbacks with my car. Had to spend the money I had put down for the cams to try to get the problems fixed.

They're all electrical related, which I know nothing about so had to take it to some guys who are Evo experts here to try to get some help.

Was getting a ton of black smoke and the car was running extremely rich. It was also misfiring and the speedometer needle was all over the place at low throttle. It was also idling at 500rpms.

Haven't been able to get a straight answer as to what exactly is causing the problems but have discovered a lot of things that were done incorrectly by the previous owners. It's so sad to me when previous owners take shortcuts or don't treat these classics the way that they should.

The map sensor is of an unknown brand, the knock sensor had grey silicone holding it together. The same for the speed sensor. The cam angle sensor had a break in the ground wire. The spark plugs were from a Honda (my previous mechanic had told me they were fine when I initially was servicing the car when I just bought it. Have since installed the correct ones). The ECU seems to be having some issues, they're going to try loading a base map to see if this will correct some of the other issues.

In the meantime, i've ordered new sensors and will be going thru the entire loom to look for breaks in the wires.

Also it seems the fuel pump was wired straight. I always wondered why I was hearing the pump for a little while after turning off the car. Also, my previous mechanic wired the fan straight w/o my knowledge. Found at least 10 bridged fuses, swapped those all out (can never understand why persons bridge fuses when fuses are so inexpensive to begin with).

It's been a nightmare with a small light at the end of the tunnel so far.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Kelfords for the win. Most Australian Rally Teams choose Kelford.