Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much coolant is normal?...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much coolant is normal?...

I was wondering how much coolant is normal? My car runs fine but each time I look at the coolant levels they are below what is listed in the manual. But I always seem to check after i have my car warmed up, is the tank supposed to be close to empty when my car is running? Also can i change the coolant myself? Not too sure if I have to flush out the radiator or something myself If i want to add more. I was assuming that I couldn't mix them. My car has 13k miles on it...should have I already have done something about it? lol..

Thanks

Last edited by vicbdn; Feb 7, 2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although i dont have an evo i know about maintenance. YEs u can mix coolants. U can add coolant like u do oil It should be a mixture of 50/50 water and coolant but chek your manual casue it might tell u different. When your car is warm coolant is in the engine circulating so if u do fill up the coolant tank than it will overflow when the engine gets cool. Im not sure when evos recommend getting coolant flushed but basically there is a drain plug on bottom of radiator. Unscrew and let drain out. U use some radiator flush u can buy at any automotive store or target walmart etc. Follow instructions on package. Usually it is drain coolant put drain plug back in put in cleaner and then fill with water adn close radiator cap. Run car for 10 min with heat on then unscrew drain plug let adn then replace fill with water again and then run for 10 more minutes. Let all fluids drain and take a hose to the radiator and put hose in radiator cap and let all excess cleaner drain out. put drain plug back on and fil with coolant/water. Pretty basic stuff. I usually change coolant every winter casue coolant usually only last about a year but there are some coolants that last longer. Hope this helps.