Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buzzing/Clicking On Accel/Decel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Buzzing/Clicking On Accel/Decel

So I hear this somewhat feint buzzing/clicking noise when my windows are open and it gets louder as I accel. and quieter as I decel. It's almost like crickets but not really? It's hard to explain, but I'll try to get a video later tonight. A friend suggested it could be the wheel bearings but I'm not 100% sure...any ideas?

Edit: It doesn't sound like it coming from the engine. Also you can't hear it at idle.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Nobody? o.O
Old Jul 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Bump.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

If you hear it at idle its coming from the engine or first half of the trans. Sit in your drive way and rev the engine. What happens with the noise? Turn the car off with the ignition on. Any noise?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

I have clicking noise, only on slow acceleration, sounds like a cricket. I gave up trying to locate it but it is coming from under the dash.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:07 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
If you hear it at idle its coming from the engine or first half of the trans. Sit in your drive way and rev the engine. What happens with the noise? Turn the car off with the ignition on. Any noise?
It's not audible at idle at all. It's only audible while driving. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine or the trans to me anyway, it sounds like it has to do with the wheels maybe? Bearings were suggested but I'm not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by evo milk
I have clicking noise, only on slow acceleration, sounds like a cricket. I gave up trying to locate it but it is coming from under the dash.
Sounds exactly like my problem, but it's not coming from the dash.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 04:34 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Up .
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

I misread your first post oops. So its rotational? The faster you go the louder it gets or the harder you accelerate the louder it gets? Get on a nice flat open road with noone around and pitch the car side to side. Does the noise go away/get louder one way or the other? It could be bearings. Jack it up on 4 stands and check all the wheels for play then run it on the stands so you can pinpoint it.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your tires..could be a nail or rock wedged in between your treads....

or Wheel bearings. I could only hear my wheel bearings at slower speeds...not at highway speeds when one went out on me.

GL
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
I misread your first post oops. So its rotational? The faster you go the louder it gets or the harder you accelerate the louder it gets? Get on a nice flat open road with noone around and pitch the car side to side. Does the noise go away/get louder one way or the other? It could be bearings. Jack it up on 4 stands and check all the wheels for play then run it on the stands so you can pinpoint it.
Will do this soon.

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Check your tires..could be a nail or rock wedged in between your treads....

or Wheel bearings. I could only hear my wheel bearings at slower speeds...not at highway speeds when one went out on me.

GL
Yeah, it's strange because I can hear it all speeds. It's more audible when you're driving next to a wall because the sound bounces off of it and makes it much louder.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:39 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Quick update: Took my car in to get Rotors/Pads/Lines installed and the tech working on my car told me that as I was driving the rear hub of the wheel was being scratched. I looked at it and it's pretty much shredded. Just goes to show how ****ty no name shops can be. The noise is 100% gone.