Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TOB checked out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOB checked out

I just did a bunch of searching and didn't find anybody with the same problem as me. Have never had any clutch issues. Had the trans off last year to do a rear main seal. Have put about 6000 miles on it or so since then.

Drove to work today. About to park in the spot, push the clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch stays on the floor. Luckily I am a mechanic at a shop so perfect place to break down i guess. Pull the pedal up by hand, try to push it down, won't go down. Pop the hood. The clutch fork is stuck all the way towards the engine (like clutch pedal depressed). Unbolted slave to access fork. Can pull back slightly but feels weird and will not clip on and stay in the center position. Grabbed the camera and went through the top hole while moving the fork to see whats going on in there. Wave clip seems fine. TOB is seperated! I can see the ball bearings inside the tob. It looks like its just press fit together. There is like a lip and it popped out. There is a clear like 1/4-1/2 inch that is all shiny and clean on the wave clip side. There is then a gap then to the right hand side you can see those ball bearings.

I already ordered a new OEM TOB. Gotta check the slave tomorrow too. ANYBODY ever seen this??

Exedy twin HD with oem TB.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get an act monoloc
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:01 PM

Wow....i had the EXACT same thing happen to me a week ago. Inner sleeve of the bearing separated from the outer sleeve and is still clipped into the wave clip. Only 6k miles on the ACT TOB...

Here is a pic through the inspection hole:

Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

An act monolock with my exedy clutch? Looks like I need to research these.

Ah yes thanks for the pic. What did u wind up doing
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:21 AM

Same **** happened to me except I was going 125 pushed the clutch in it stayed to the floor -_-
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was that an OEM throw out?

I have an Exedy twin HD with act monoloc and clutch fork stop and it works great.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by asu11
Was that an OEM throw out? I have an Exedy twin HD with act monoloc and clutch fork stop and it works great.
Yeah OEM Tob on my exedy twin HD im going to do a monoloc also, how do you like it? Poor evos been sitting
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Really? we need another thread on this? This is a VERY VERY VERY common problem with Evo clutches. just do a search for "clutch pop out" or "bearing pop out" This is why they make clutch stops.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by hatesposers
Really? we need another thread on this? This is a VERY VERY VERY common problem with Evo clutches. just do a search for "clutch pop out" or "bearing pop out" This is why they make clutch stops.
Yeah deff, I've herd of this happening to a few other people as well with the Exedy clutches and Oem tob. I wish I knew about this from the beginning when I did you clutch I would have just went with a monoloc
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply hatesposers. I advanced searched TOB back to 2010 did not see any of the same issues. Lots of ppl with the wave plates popping off, none of the TOB seperating. I just typed in "bearing pop out" exactly as you wrote on the advanced search and got only 1 thread. Maybe you should have posted some links instead of making a useless post. Thanks for the help.

I don't have any issues with the clip so I don't see how the monolock would have helped this problem. Just like in the picture my TOB seperated. OEM TOB. Would the fork stop help the bearing at all or is that just to keep the wave plate in place too??
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts