Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fuel pump install, car wont start? Help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump install, car wont start? Help

Okay so I have a 06' Evo 9 MR with 190k miles on the clock. I am having starting issues, it takes 6-7 seconds for it to start. I haven't done the fuel pump so I thought that could be an issue. Took the old fuel pump out which was a Walboro and put in a Walboro 255 and now the car wont start. I'm running Tephra tuned by me for knock, injector latency and battery voltages are where they should be, AFR gauge is wired to ECU and Omni 4 bar up and running. Egr delete, rear o2 delete Evap delete. I can't think of why I'm not getting fuel, I literally pulled the old fuel pump out and put the new one in. All of the connectors and fuel lines are connected so wtf? I even put it back to stock rom with stock injector latencys and the car ran for about 10 seconds and just straight up died.

Could this be a grounding issue? I relocated the battery to the trunk and deleted the grounding cable under the hood that runs to the transmission, I keep meaning to put it back but haven't gotten around to it. Could that be a problem that I'm requesting too many amps and its not grounding properly? But when it does start before today it ran fine. I'm thinking about just throwing the old pump back on because I'm lost on what to do.

I bought the car stock except for injen intercooler piping, and I guess a Walboro,

Mods I have done since owning the car for a month.
Kellford 272's
ETS UICP Short route
PTE 1200cc Injectors
GSC Titanium Retainers and Springs
Standard intake, exhaust valves with valve seals
New headgasket
New timing belt
Map Rev 3 intake manifold
Full blown 70mm throttle body
Ets 3.5" fmic
Injen LICP
Omni 4 bar
Map o2 Dump
Megan 3" downpipe
L19 ARP Headstuds
GSC non tick lifters
Map evo race manifold (Exhaust)

Could it be a bad fuel pump? Is there something I missed when installing it? it ran maximum about 10 seconds and died. I killed my battery turning it over so much. Any help would be appreciated
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
had a similar issue with a dw pump...pull the fuel line to the rail at the pump and put some hose on the end of the pump---you need to prime the pump--suck on the hose until the fuel pulls thru-- attach the reg hose and you should be good to go. good luck
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:19 PM

If the car ran for 10 seconds does that mean it's still primed?
I'll try that tomorrow, I have a vacuum pump I can do it with.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you go by this?

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tech_id=9
Old Nov 26, 2014, 09:11 PM

I didn't look at any instructions while installing it, I just read the Walboro 255 how to install and I did everything the same exact way they did, even down to reusing that grommet. Is there a possibility of connecting the wiring backwards? not on the fuel pump itself but on the side of the fuel pump?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:19 PM

The car has been parked on a hill during the install. I wanted it to be level but it wasn't possible where it was parked. I'm thinking air in the lines, bad fuel pump, or possibly backwards connector? The install is straight forward so I don't see how I can mess it up but I guess I did somehow.

Edit car has 3/4 tank of gas so I can't see how the hill would affect it.