Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall update

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imagine when your evo goes into a dealer, entry level 18-21yr old techs and oil changers about 4-5 of them crowded around your car eating, texting, instagram, sending pics, sitting on your seats, opening your hood playing with your big turbo, vacuum lines, wastegate, boost controller, etc...all while really only 1 tech does the recall, then they take turns "road testing" your car?

I got this letter too and instantly threw it away.

Both my airbags have been disconnected since i started tracking my car years ago.
I'm good.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I received my letter a few days ago and dropped off my car today to have the airbag changed out at the dealership. I specifically told them over the phone and in person not to touch my ECU since my car is also part of that ECU recall for rich air fuel mixture.

Got a call today after the new airbag was installed and now my car cranks but won't start. The check engine light won't even come on. I hook up my laptop to try and upload a tune to the ECU via ECU Flash and an error pops up saying "no response to any code." I'm not too sure what that means. I am running Tephra V7 with a Speed Density tune. A simple airbag swap in my opinion should not affect the ECU in any way. The only other thing that was done according to the dealership was that my battery was disconnected, which as far as I know does not reset the ECU. I'm really hoping they are telling me the truth as far as them not touching my ECU. Any feedback to help me solve this issue is much appreciated.

To recap:
  • Got new airbag installed at dealership due to recall.
  • Told dealership not to touch ECU.
  • Car now cranks but won't start.
  • Check engine light does not come on at all.
  • ECU Flash has error "no response to any code."
Old Jul 1, 2015, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Klaiceps
I received my letter a few days ago and dropped off my car today to have the airbag changed out at the dealership. I specifically told them over the phone and in person not to touch my ECU since my car is also part of that ECU recall for rich air fuel mixture.

Got a call today after the new airbag was installed and now my car cranks but won't start. The check engine light won't even come on. I hook up my laptop to try and upload a tune to the ECU via ECU Flash and an error pops up saying "no response to any code." I'm not too sure what that means. I am running Tephra V7 with a Speed Density tune. A simple airbag swap in my opinion should not affect the ECU in any way. The only other thing that was done according to the dealership was that my battery was disconnected, which as far as I know does not reset the ECU. I'm really hoping they are telling me the truth as far as them not touching my ECU. Any feedback to help me solve this issue is much appreciated.

To recap:
This is the nightmare scenario. Probably to reset the SRS they have to gain access to the OBDII. Some program probably does the upgrade without them even knowing it! Argh.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got my car back from dealership yesterday...no issues to report. Only sweat marks on dash and windshield..

Sorry to hear about everyone. Horror stories.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To recap:
This might be a silly suggestion, but I often have a hard time reflashing my
ECU if the battery is not fully charged and if I don't initiate the flash immediately when flipping the ignition to the "On" position. Have you tried reflashing while the car is hooked up to a charger?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aamoedo
This might be a silly suggestion, but I often have a hard time reflashing my
ECU if the battery is not fully charged and if I don't initiate the flash immediately when flipping the ignition to the "On" position. Have you tried reflashing while the car is hooked up to a charger?
Ok gave it another shot this time with a battery charger hooked up. Checked fuses and they were good. I still can't upload a tune to the ECU. I even hooked up my OBD2 scanner and it can't read the ECU. I'm really hoping the ECU isn't fried in any way. Any other suggestions or ideas?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ok gave it another shot this time with a battery charger hooked up. Checked fuses and they were good. I still can't upload a tune to the ECU. I even hooked up my OBD2 scanner and it can't read the ECU. I'm really hoping the ECU isn't fried in any way. Any other suggestions or ideas?

Befor assuming the ecu is fried, make sure all the wiring got hooked back and placed properly so it didn't get pinched when the dash went back in.

If that's all OK, a regular OBD2 scanner not connecting to the ECU is a bad sign..
Old Jul 1, 2015, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Befor assuming the ecu is fried, make sure all the wiring got hooked back and placed properly so it didn't get pinched when the dash went back in.

If that's all OK, a regular OBD2 scanner not connecting to the ECU is a bad sign..
Found the problem. I double checked the fuses on the interior side and fuse #8 (7.5A fuse) was pulled out. I put it back in and car fired right up. I don't know why it was out but it was. I'm just glad the ECU wasn't fried. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

If you send you car for services on the Mitsubishi dealership they let you know if you have a recall like in my case right know.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 04:29 PM

I just got my recall notice today I'm going to drop it off soon to get it fixed.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone looking to do this themselves part number is 7030A696, according to my dealer, & costs $34.08. It won't clear the recall notice on your car, but you'll at least have a safe car again.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by APEXR
Just a heads up for anyone looking to do this themselves part number is 7030A696, according to my dealer, & costs $34.08. It won't clear the recall notice on your car, but you'll at least have a safe car again.
Thanks for the info, rather do that than let the dealer touch my car.

I wonder if I send them a reciept and mail them the old part they would clear the recall. Usually with any other recall if you show proof it was fixed they update the record.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by APEXR
What's the install look like? Working with airbags scares me
Old Jul 2, 2015, 09:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
What's the install look like? Working with airbags scares me

Agreed. Anytime I've had to do it, I usually let the car sit for an hour with the battery disconnected, and the fuse for the air bag system pulled, if the airbag "ecu" is easy to get to, I unplug that too. It may be excessive, but a properly functioning airbag can kill you if opens in your face..
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM

Well, it looks like I'll be taking a trip to the US to get this done. Probably Seattle(or closer if there is an option) but would like to wait for others in the PNW to get it done first so I know what to expect. Depending on the job time I may have to stay overnight.

I really don't want a Canadian dealer touching the car as they will have little to no experience. VIII's and IX's are uncommon as they were never sold new here.

Quick Reply: Another air bag recall update