Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall update

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Another air bag recall update

For those still wondering about the passenger air bags, we've added more vehicles to the recall group. Specifically, the 2004 Lancers have become nationwide recalled. The 2005 have been changed to "ALL" 2005 (not just certain dates), and have also become nationwide recalled. 2006 models have been added, and as well are nationwide recalled.

Pursuant to a Defect Information Report that TK Holdings Inc. (Takata) submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Safety Recall SR-14-012 – Lancer Front Passenger Air Bag Inflator will now be expanded to:
 Include all remaining 2005 Lancer/Lancer Sportback/Lancer Evolution vehicles and those 2006 Lancer/Lancer Evolution vehicles utilizing the inflator at issue
 Cover all affected vehicles nationwide, regardless of garaging or registration history
Old May 29, 2015, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
What do we do if we're affected? How do we find out if our specific vehicle is affected in regards to the 2006 only having certain inflators covered?
Old May 29, 2015, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless there is some website to check VIN just have to wait for a letter in the mail.
Old May 29, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this recall relatioin in conjunction with Takata fiasco?
Old May 29, 2015, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Yep, Takata bags.

The VIN list won't be available for another few weeks, so no point in checking right now. The anticipated release of the VINs is the second week in June. Notifications will be sent out in waves starting the week after typically and will go to the current registered address with the DMV.

Rumor has it that drivers bags may get added, that is not concrete though (only the above I quoted is from Mitsubishi directly and considered fact at this point).
Old May 30, 2015, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to the Mitsubishi's website and register your car and it will tell you if you have a recall.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/registration
Old May 30, 2015, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by envyno1
Go to the Mitsubishi's website and register your car and it will tell you if you have a recall.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/registration

Read above, this is pre-release information. New vehicles added to the recalls will not be listed there for another 2 weeks or more. The Mitsubishi site (or any other VIN checker) should not show any new information today that wasn't there 8 months ago.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:02 PM

I ran a Carfax report on my 05 RS today and the recall was posted on the 27th of May
Old May 30, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by superbovine
Read above, this is pre-release information. New vehicles added to the recalls will not be listed there for another 2 weeks or more. The Mitsubishi site (or any other VIN checker) should not show any new information today that wasn't there 8 months ago.
This isn't true for everyone. I ran my VIN when the original checker came out and it was clean. Re-ran Thursday and it is now showing up just as the poster alluded:

Originally Posted by brandonu05
I ran a Carfax report on my 05 RS today and the recall was posted on the 27th of May
YMMV
Old May 31, 2015, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: Shiat, apologies.... apparently they updated the current list already, didn't think that would go public for a week or more on the first email I got.
https://i.imgur.com/fsFF7hy.jpg

Last edited by superbovine; May 31, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, I got an email earlier today through MyCarFax saying my 06 MR had a new recall. Blah. Given a choice I'd rather not have anyone from a dealership touch the car ever. Oh well.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

If your airbag so happens to be deployed, does that exclude you from the recall?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
oh man...I just found out that my 2006 MR is included in the recall...you can also call 18886487820...be sure you have your vin ready...the customer rep told me to call my nearest mitsubishi dealer to schedule a replacement of the inflator...the dealer will have the same list as she has...the "recall" list keeps on increasing...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:15 PM

How long does it generally take for the dealership to perform the recall once the car is in?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionIXMR06
If your airbag so happens to be deployed, does that exclude you from the recall?
Technically speaking....probably not. I can see them wanting to get approval for it, but since we are outside the discovery period I don't really see why not. Normally when air bags are recalled they are destroyed on-site. In the early instance of these we were sending them back to Takata for evaluation (to determine if they wanted to recall all or not). Since they have decided to do all, odds are they won't call them back now and deployed ones could be recalled too. I would sit tight until the official release is made and the added cars start getting processed... if the official documentation shows they will be deployed on-site, then you have nothing to worry about.

How long does it generally take for the dealership to perform the recall once the car is in?
A good tech can do one in about 30-40 minutes if it is tidy and you don't have a lot of aftermarket wiring strung everywhere poorly or if it is all stock. If you have stuff that looks like Stevie Wonder wired it in, expect delays.
If your local dealer sucks.... expect a few hours.

Quick Reply: Another air bag recall update