Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another air bag recall update

Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ugh, I got a notice as well. I really don't want the dealership mucking around with my car. Anyone know the extent of work necessary to swap the bags? Will they need to access the ecu, etc.?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got my notice on the airbag...so now does that mean we still sit around and wait for them to get the parts? anyone have it replaced yet?

BMH
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2006 EvoIX and it has been imported into Canada since 2009. I bought it off the guy that imported it in 2009. I wonder how that would translate to a Canadian Mitsu dealer working on the car to remedy the airbag issue?

I'll be phoning my local dealer shortly and report back but if anyone has some quick info that would be great. Talking to the dealer is about as appealing as a hot needle in the eyeball. Ha!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Got the letter in the mail yesterday. Not really planning on getting this done as my IX really only ever sees the track. Plus I really don't want the dealership taking apart my dashboard or driving it for that matter
Old Jun 22, 2015, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
On the letter they sent me, it says dont let anyone sit on the passenger side until its fixed. So does that mean the potential injury/death is only to the front passenger? If so I will just put this off longer. And it may also serve as a valid excuse not to let anyone into the evo lol
Old Jun 23, 2015, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i got my letter also.... Im assuming it is just the passenger side bag.
what if you just unplug it? The plug is just right behind the glove box.
will it freak everything out?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand the apprehension to get this done. I don't want my wife to get her head taken off by a randomly exploding airbag.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not opposed to getting it done. I just want to know what's involved/what I need to instruct the dealer not to do (e.g., don't eff with my ecu, don't rip my dash apart).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I've never pulled my dash apart so not really sure whats involved but guessing it's kinda a PITA. But as someone, like probably most others on this forum, I do all my own work and don't trust the dealership one bit with my baby. Im not opposed to getting this done and plan to do so however was thinking maybe I could do the bulk of the work myself and simply leave them with plugging in the airbag? Hell, I dont even want them pulling my car into the bay...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Its stupid easy as long as you don't have aftermarket stuff with really crappy wiring skills applied. Stock for stock, it can be done in very little time, less than an hour taking it easy. In a rush I've done them in well less than half that. The dash does need to come out... you can do it in car, but you have to do 98% of the same work and then it is more difficult, so it is best to just remove it.

Essentially:
Remove radio trim
Remove radio
Remove AC controls
Remove storage bin (or lower gauge pod)
Remove belt molding/clock/mirror control
Remove gauge trim and gauges
Remove knee panel
Remove glove box
Remove dash end panels
Remove A pillars
Remove bolts for ecu and leave attached on floor
Remove ALL bolts for dash and air bag anchor
Unplug passenger air bag
Slide dash out and flip over
Loosen nuts holding inflator to air bag
Loosen air duct over inflator
Swap inflator
Reassemble

Stupid easy. The only hard ones are when people do bad installs on radios or gauges etc (short cutting wiring, looping around stuff to take up slack etc) and make removal more difficult because they cut corners on their installation figuring no one would ever see it
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

My gauge install was clean, so was my radio. It still scares me how much the dealer will need to take apart. Anyone have any experience with Bay Area dealers?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found my recall notice in the mailbox. 2006 IX MR.

Last edited by jsmcpn; Jun 23, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
had this service done on my evo today. So far so good, I have defi gauge and they had to take one out to get the dash piece out so I had to re-silicon it after I got back. Left my carpet dirty but I don't think they took it for any joy rides or whatever. They didn't both to reset my clock either but that's all minor stuff. I did find a broke clip on the carpet so hopefully they replaced it with a new one.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Pm me and let me know whats up. I'm in the same situation but I wont be driving the car till october.
Originally Posted by white rocket
I have a 2006 EvoIX and it has been imported into Canada since 2009. I bought it off the guy that imported it in 2009. I wonder how that would translate to a Canadian Mitsu dealer working on the car to remedy the airbag issue?

I'll be phoning my local dealer shortly and report back but if anyone has some quick info that would be great. Talking to the dealer is about as appealing as a hot needle in the eyeball. Ha!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got my appointment setup for this upcoming Monday am. Told me like 5+ hours to do. They were scheduled out all week for this recall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another air bag recall update