Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

JDM Electric folding mirrors udaptation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 04:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
JDM Electric folding mirrors udaptation

Hello!

The JDM EVO has an option of the electric folding mirrors and I desided to install it on my car.

Here is how it looks like:

The button:

A few years ago I have decided to install this option on my car. Unfortunately it become not so easy as I expected but everything is doable. So here is some instructions which will help you to do the same.

Installation steps:
1. Take a picture of the wires in the socket:

2. Disassemble the mirror.
Take out the mirror itself. To do this, lower it down and climb it with our fingers or a screwdriver wrapped in a rag from above. The glass is fastened with latches. (My mirrors have heating function)

Next unplug black cover in the bottom of the mirror and you will find the hidden screw.

Unscrew another 4 scews and you are done:

To install these motors in your mirror shell you need to remove the special tooth. I think it actually used to prevent install RHD mirrors on LHD car on the factory. But that actually what we are duing now

After this manipulation you will be able to install these motors into your shell.

3. Let's get it work.
Unfortunately this option is not Plug&Play. This mean that it will not work after installation at all. The folding mirror function is writen in the ETACS.

So generally There are two options to get the mirrors work:
1. Use the original ETACS from the JDM EVO or Cedia.

Example of ETACS with mirrors folding feature

The issue here that the JDM ETACS may not work on your car or to be not fully compatible. I know for sure only for European Lancer that it works but the alarm is working incorrect with this ETACS. For USDM EVO there is no information but it is 90% that it will not work without some adaptation of the wires harness.

2. Use custom mirrors controller instead of ETACS.
This is a good alternative to the first option. The custome controller will controll your mirror folding feature and it is not require to replace your ETACS.
I'm not an author of this device. The diagrams for thesis controller were found in the internet and one guy was able to make such device for me.

This is how it looks like:

The controller for electric folding mirrors

Controller diagram

Controller features:
- The controller knows the current state. If the mirrors were folded it will not try to fold it again and vice versa
- By signal from the alarm system (or door lock) the fold mirrors command will be raised
- By signal from engine lock (ACC key position) the unfold mirrors command will be raised
- Mirrors can be controlled from the interior mirror folding button

Video of work:

So you can choose which one is better for you depending on which car do you have USDM on European.

There is the wiring diagram for Lancer Cedia with side mirrors folding function which I have used to connect the mirrors.

Thank you for your time I hope this will be helpful.

P.S. I have done this swap on me car few years ago and happy about that so decided to share my experience there also.
I was able to test with way to connect mirrors (ETACS and custom controller) bot of them require additional wires and work with diagrams. The advantage of the custom controller that it has attitional option to controll mirrors by the custom alarm or door lock (additional pin).
I have few additional kits for sale. Feell free to ping me if you need some.

Last edited by dmitry_i; Jan 16, 2021 at 05:22 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by dmitry_i:
1hotevo9 (Jul 25, 2021), Biggiesacks (Jan 17, 2021), deylag (Jan 16, 2021), huzzle101 (Jan 16, 2021), petrosian (Dec 26, 2023)
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
great work man, were you the one also selling the JDM HVAC awhile back ?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by huzzle101
great work man, were you the one also selling the JDM HVAC awhile back ?
Yes it was me and I'm still selling such kits. you can DM me if you are interested.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 02:11 AM

Here is the updated diagram for the controller. I have marked the pins for fold/unfold wired connection. In some cases, if you connect them wrong the controller may be burned out.

Old Sep 21, 2021, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdm as Fudgeeee