Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .

Hey guys, first of all yes, I did search, I actually searched for MONTHS until I decided to purchase the PSS9... well finally got them installed in my car, lowered about 1cm all around, took the car for a spin and the car does not handle as it used to, even in the hardest setting (1) it feels "unsafe" if you know what I mean... I also installed a set of new tires, falken azenis stock size, coming from the OEM potenzas, those tires might have something to do with the loss of performance...
Anyways, if anybody can help me out, what can I do to make the car ride better (like it used to on stock KYB's) besides selling the PSS9's??
Are the springs the same front and rear? because they looked the same so I just installed them randomly. . . I really liked the way the car handled before, only reason I changed suspension was because 2 struts were blown.
I find it hard to believe that such an expensive suspension (pss9) can not perform like the stock KYB's I must admit that the ride is nicer for city driving in the soft settings, but I miss the security the stock suspension gave me in spirited drives... thanks for any help I can get
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think people will need more information to help you.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Get an alignment. I have the PSS9s and they handle a lot better than stock, even on the softest settings (9) I notice a difference.

Last edited by Show286; Jul 17, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
spring rates are different front and rear for those arent they? I dont think you can really tell just by looking at them. You might have swapped the wrong springs into one or two of them and that could be causing your issue. Also, to get the full benefit of coilovers, you need to get it corner balanced.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Potenzas stock? huh?

Get an alignment, make sure you have the correct springs in the correct place. get back to us after you do that.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Spring should have codes marked on them. Usually the last number is the rate in kilos. Ex. 55.101.10 the .10 means 10k. Contact Bilstein to be sure. If you have the rates wrong then that would feel like that on you. And get it aligned and corner balanced.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

It's a JDM RS, Potenzas came stock (amazing tire, only lasted 10k miles ) I got the car aligned but is that corner balanced thing? If I remember correctly all springs had the same number, will have to check tomorrow and get back to you guys, thanks a lot for your help.
Show286, the ride has improved overall, but not in an aggressive way, meaning I can not takes turns as fast as I could before (anyone else think it could be the falkens??)
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
The Falken RT615 - not as good as what you just took off. Personally, after running them - not impressed at all when compared to todays top tires out there (Z1*, RE11, NT05).
Old Jul 18, 2009, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
The Falken RT615 - not as good as what you just took off. Personally, after running them - not impressed at all when compared to todays top tires out there (Z1*, RE11, NT05).
I agree, I ran them before on the 3G they are okay for the price you can get them but lose grip too fast when overheated, terrible in the rain, sometimes very unpredictable.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
you have them set to hard probably the hardest setting is not the best setting
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
you have them set to hard probably the hardest setting is not the best setting
Not really, I actually tried in the softest setting and it was too soft, then I tried different inrements until I went to 1 still not satisfied...
Since some of you suggested to get the car corner balanced, can anyone tell me how to get that done? thanks
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

"unsafe", no i don't know what you mean. Please enlighten us.

I've been riding on PSS9's for about 9 months now. Aside from some front end clunking which was fixed, I have nothing but good things to say about them. Yeah, they are on the softer, comfortable side of coilovers, with less adjustability compared to a v3, but for the NYC daily driver I am satisfied.

When I started i kept them in the softer range, 6-8, but as I increased the stiffness, I actually enjoyed the way the car felt more. I now drive on setting 2 on all 4 corners.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

When I say "unsafe" I mean I do not feel as comfortable as before taking fast turns, the car actually sinks into the corner and the tail feels like is comming loose, that's what I mean by "unsafe"
Did you change ride height with your bilsteins? I lowered the car a bit, maybe that is affecting things, only thing I know is the car felt like a go-kart before, not anymore with the PSS9's
I never got installation instructions with mine, is there anything important in there I need to know? thanks

Last edited by Evoardo IX; Jul 18, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Spring should have codes marked on them. Usually the last number is the rate in kilos. Ex. 55.101.10 the .10 means 10k. Contact Bilstein to be sure. If you have the rates wrong then that would feel like that on you. And get it aligned and corner balanced.
Ok I went out and looked, one spring on the rear reads E4 FD1 Y497 A00 and the other rear reads E4 FD1 Y583 A00... same thing on the front springs, one reads E4 FD1 Y497 A00 and the other E4 FD1 Y583 A00.

I know now that they are missplaced, but does anybody know which springs go at the front and wich at the rear?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Ok I went out and looked, one spring on the rear reads E4 FD1 Y497 A00 and the other rear reads E4 FD1 Y583 A00... same thing on the front springs, one reads E4 FD1 Y497 A00 and the other E4 FD1 Y583 A00.

I know now that they are missplaced, but does anybody know which springs go at the front and wich at the rear?
ask Bilstein. That would be a big part of your issue. you have odd spring rates on all four corners to begin with. basically cornerweighting a car involves a scale under each wheel, so as you adjust height, it effects the weight on that wheel, basically. so you are making adjustments based on the weight values on each of four scales. The idea is to set it up so you can have a bias to whatever the alignment tuner seems best for the evo. There is more to it Im sure, this is just a basic idea of what your doing.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .