Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I was gonna note that Solo II Evo's alignment settings are pretty aggressive and very auto-x oriented. You might want to go for something a little more mild depending on what you use your car for.

A drop of .75 inches up front and .5 inches in the rear with the Whiteline kit is a great starting point. Not slammed by any means, but you still have great geometry and plenty of strut travel left.

- Andrew
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Hey guys, first of all yes, I did search, I actually searched for MONTHS until I decided to purchase the PSS9... well finally got them installed in my car, lowered about 1cm all around, took the car for a spin and the car does not handle as it used to, even in the hardest setting (1) it feels "unsafe" if you know what I mean... I also installed a set of new tires, falken azenis stock size, coming from the OEM potenzas, those tires might have something to do with the loss of performance...
Anyways, if anybody can help me out, what can I do to make the car ride better (like it used to on stock KYB's) besides selling the PSS9's??
Are the springs the same front and rear? because they looked the same so I just installed them randomly. . . I really liked the way the car handled before, only reason I changed suspension was because 2 struts were blown.
I find it hard to believe that such an expensive suspension (pss9) can not perform like the stock KYB's I must admit that the ride is nicer for city driving in the soft settings, but I miss the security the stock suspension gave me in spirited drives... thanks for any help I can get
They're Bilsteins, don't expect much beyond comfort, and ride quality of that of luxury sedans like the NA E55 (non-supercharged, first E55 to come to the states; all AMG models prior to the airmatic suspensions setup you currently, or not, came equipment with Bilsteins). In fact I found that to be one of the main selling points of earlier AMG vehicles, because aside from a slight boost in power, and cosmetic flare, they're was little to be crazy about. Compared to now, the only category in which the older E55 might appeal more to a buyer is in its limited production run. AMG claims their models are "limited", but really what they mean is that few people can afford them, hence automatically making them far a few in between (unless u live in a upscale city where money seems to grow right out of the ground!). The first AMG model, the C32 AMG, was the only Mercedes Benz product that was fully formed and sculpted by AMG at the time, all others were just given "face lifts", but nothing to the degree we see some of the benzes; 738lb/ft Torque can leave you, well, gasping for air.

I enjoy my Bilsteins for their ride quality, but when it comes to performance, they are far from delivering. It should come as no surprise then, that I try not to avoid bumps; the more I hit, the softer the shocks become, and the nicer the ride becomes. On another note, I just recently picked up a set of JIC FLT-TARs for 1350.00 shipped brand new in sealed box! Talk about a deal! My FLT-A2s on my Supra were like 2000.00, though I have had them nearly a decade, they still seem to be like new. Can't say that for Bilsteins which seems to riot regardless of use.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All I've read about the PSS9 is that they lower the car a bit too much and they are a bit too soft for track duty. Many of us were waiting on the PSS10 which should have already been released as those were supposed to be more performance inspired. I got sick of waiting.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree w jeske as their factory valving are more sport oriented but not extreme track duty. Several people use these coilovers at high levels of competition however, and with a revalve and a spring swap they've been incredible. They aren't an eqaul of ohlins though are still awesome for budget minded racers.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 06:32 AM

Good information here.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am starting to think that I wil never be able to set the PSS9 to ride like the stock KYB did
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
They can ride AND handle much better....the stock KYB's are not a good goal or target in my opinion.

Just because it isn't jarring your kidneys doesn't mean it can't perform.

- Andrew
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
All I've read about the PSS9 is that they lower the car a bit too much and they are a bit too soft for track duty. Many of us were waiting on the PSS10 which should have already been released as those were supposed to be more performance inspired. I got sick of waiting.
Yep I started the PSS10 thread who knows how long ago. Got tired of waiting and sucked it up and went with CBRD spec Ohlins. Had to sell a kidney but oh well.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
They can ride AND handle much better....the stock KYB's are not a good goal or target in my opinion.

Just because it isn't jarring your kidneys doesn't mean it can't perform.

- Andrew
Hehe that's true, those kyb's were kidney's killers... hey andrew once I get those springs set right and the roll center kit I will PM you about good alignment specs I will trust I made a good choice buying these coilovers
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE!!!

Ok guys, I got the springs sorted and installed the right way, then I set the car at stock height and it rides way better now, still not as confident in turns as before, but I figured the tires are at fault (falken azenis, stock size, z speed rating) they can't compete with the stock potenzas that came with my car.
Anyways, in conclusion, I am happy with my suspension now thanks a lot for all the help.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
no new tire will handle like any old tire with worn tread. thats why track tires get tread shaved when new. surprised no one brought that up.

also the car lowered in front would have towed tires out. would have been all over the road.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I had a question about the pss9s I was hoping someone could answer. I got these second hand with no instructions.

The rear shock mount (metal cylindrical bushing between rubber mounts) wont fit over the bilstein shock shaft on the rear.

Are they designed to be used with the factory shock mounts?

I ended up taking the metal cylindrical bushing out of the rubber mounts and tightening everything up with the supplied bilstein hardware.

Is this correct?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

ANOTHER UPDATE!: MODS CHANGE TITLE IF YOU CAN TO: BILSTEIN PSS9 MORE than I expected

If you read the entire thread, I installed them and felt they were not performing up to my taste, but this past weekend I went to a hill climb event on my car and turned the suspension all the way to stiff (1) and WOW the car handled like nothing else, I also had an ugly clunk from the day I installed them, but before the event I thought about checking the suspension and guess what, both rear struts were loose at the tower (I used the recommended torque, but I guess it's best to just give it a good tightening) after I fixed that, the clunking is gone, the car is at 6 rear and 2 front, and it just rides amazing, I never want to get off my car
I even purchased some ralliart strut mounts thinking my problem was there, but I guess I don't need them now, I have no noises, and the handling surpases the stock setup in every way possible.
THANK YOU BILSTEIN FOR MAKING SUCH A GREAT COILOVER FOR THE EVO!!!!

A picture when at the hill climb

Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:37 PM

maybe u adjusted to hard, I have the PSS9s and they are way better than stock
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

actually when I first installed them, I left them loose, after I went and re-tight everything, it felt great, yes they are better than stock

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .