Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
standard Bilstein PSS9 spring rates are usually 8k/8k.

When I first installed mine, I had them revalved by bilstein west for 12k/16k rates. Before an alignment, the car felt scary to drive. I found out that during the installation of the coilovers my toe was all over the damn place.

I set toe 0 front and rear, -3.4 camber front -1.8 rear, corner balanced, and it handles on rails.

2 seasons of autocross and track time, they're still kicking ***.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Solo II Evo
standard Bilstein PSS9 spring rates are usually 8k/8k.

When I first installed mine, I had them revalved by bilstein west for 12k/16k rates. Before an alignment, the car felt scary to drive. I found out that during the installation of the coilovers my toe was all over the damn place.

I set toe 0 front and rear, -3.4 camber front -1.8 rear, corner balanced, and it handles on rails.

2 seasons of autocross and track time, they're still kicking ***.
Thanks bro, I will try those settings

So you are saying it doesn't matter where the spring goes since all four are the same? the numbers are different so I was wondering if one should go at the front and the other at the rear... ?
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lowering the car could've affected the car's center of gravity. There was write up for the Whiteline Front Roll Center kit, with sound theories and testimonials, that significantly improves the handling on a lowered Evo.
From my experience, I felt immediate improvements after installation. Look it up.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, What did you do to get rid of the front end clunking noise?

Originally Posted by RichC
"unsafe", no i don't know what you mean. Please enlighten us.

I've been riding on PSS9's for about 9 months now. Aside from some front end clunking which was fixed, I have nothing but good things to say about them. Yeah, they are on the softer, comfortable side of coilovers, with less adjustability compared to a v3, but for the NYC daily driver I am satisfied.

When I started i kept them in the softer range, 6-8, but as I increased the stiffness, I actually enjoyed the way the car felt more. I now drive on setting 2 on all 4 corners.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Ok guys found out the springs are all mixed... the ones with 497 printed on them are fronts, the ones with 583 are rears, I will fix that, set the car at stock height (is that possible with the PSS9?) then get an alignment with the specs recommended by Solo II Evo and finally I will try to corner balance them. I'll post the results up.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds good. Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:33 AM
TS8
Evolving Member

It is a combination of both the tires and the suspension.
I changed out to the MR Bilsteins and I know it felt a little more "floaty" initially, although I realized the grip is even better than the KYB.
The Bilsteins can stay with the undulations better than the KYBs it seemed.
The Bilsteins are more progressive compared to the linear reactions of the KYB.
I love my Bridgestone RE01-R, by the way.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I agree, I ran them before on the 3G they are okay for the price you can get them but lose grip too fast when overheated, terrible in the rain, sometimes very unpredictable.

In the cold too.. I've scare the S*** out of my self on the tires.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
When I say "unsafe" I mean I do not feel as comfortable as before taking fast turns, the car actually sinks into the corner and the tail feels like is comming loose, that's what I mean by "unsafe"
Did you change ride height with your bilsteins? I lowered the car a bit, maybe that is affecting things, only thing I know is the car felt like a go-kart before, not anymore with the PSS9's
I never got installation instructions with mine, is there anything important in there I need to know? thanks
After installing mine, even on setting 9, the car instantly felt snappier at turn in. I quickly realized it was too soft as the strut ran through its travel WAY too easy and was afraid of bottoming it out. I increased it to 5 or 6 (now ride at 2). Still, on a longer corner, I did feel some "wandering". The car was lowered about 2.5". After doing some research I realized that I was in dire need of a Roll Center Kit.

Thankfully Robert of Robi Spec was visiting the NYC area soon and after the installation, the car felt very solid in the corners once again. At a trackday, my instructor (who drove an Evo IX, and was experienced in TT competition) commented that my car felt similar to another Evo he was in with an Ohlins setup. I was very happy to hear this.

Whiteline Roll Center Kit, after you sort out the spring issue, be sure to install one.

Originally Posted by EVO JC
Hi, What did you do to get rid of the front end clunking noise?
I simply removed the entire front left coilover, pulled it apart and cleaned everything, upper/lower perches, brush out the grit in the springs etc. When I tightened it back up, it seem to tighten a few threads more when I compared it to the passenger side. I have honestly not heard any clunking from that corner since.

Last edited by RichC; Jul 20, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the advice! where can I get one and how much do they run for?
One more question, can I set the car at stock height with the PSS9 or is it always going to be lowered some? if I set it at stock height do I still need the roll center kit? I'll do anything to get the car to turn like it did before.
Thanks a lot.
Ed

Originally Posted by RichC
After installing mine, even on setting 9, the car instantly felt snappier at turn in. I quickly realized it was too soft as the strut ran through its travel WAY too easy and was afraid of bottoming it out. I increased it to 5 or 6 (now ride at 2). Still, on a longer corner, I did feel some "wandering". The car was lowered about 2.5". After doing some research I realized that I was in dire need of a Roll Center Kit.

Thankfully Robert of Robi Spec was visiting the NYC area soon and after the installation, the car felt very solid in the corners once again. At a trackday, my instructor (who drove an Evo IX, and was experienced in TT competition) commented that my car felt similar to another Evo he was in with an Ohlins setup. I was very happy to hear this.

Whiteline Roll Center Kit, after you sort out the spring issue, be sure to install one.

I simply removed the entire front left coilover, pulled it apart and cleaned everything, upper/lower perches, brush out the grit in the springs etc. When I tightened it back up, it seem to tighten a few threads more when I compared it to the passenger side. I have honestly not heard any clunking from that corner since.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

One more question, can I set the car at stock height with the PSS9 or is it always going to be lowered some? if I set it at stock height do I still need the roll center kit? I'll do anything to get the car to turn like it did before.
Thanks a lot.
Ed
http://www.google.com/products?rlz=1...title&resnum=5

I've heard that the RCK will improve handling and steering and characteristics even on stock suspension Evo's. I've also read that if you're going to drop the car more than 1.5", the RCK is highly recommended.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot.
Ed
I bought my Roll center kit from GTWorx (EvoM Vendor). I'm not sure how high the PSS9's can go but you should be able to get close to stock height, once you've got your springs sorted out I wouldn't go more than 1" below stock without the roll center kit installed.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks a lot.
Ed

You should lower it some; my ride height is still a mystery to me

however my rake is still negative (front lower than rear) and my car needs to be lower more to drop the center of gravity.

You can keep stock ride height on the PSS9's, though try dropping it some. I believe my drop was moderate.. I'm at work so I can't upload a picture to my flickr account, but i'll post back at the end of the day today.

Another thing on those alignment specs, take them with a grain of salt. I designed my setup to be loose as possible, which may not be what you're looking for.

For a more aggressive turn-in, you can toe out the front a little (starting at 1/16th) and toe in the rear (1/16th also) for a more stable setup.

Those springs you have are fine, as long as the two front springs are equal and the two rear springs are equal (both fronts are 490 something and both rears are 500 something). The stock springs should deliver you a good ride.

Another thing on the PSS9s, clockwise is looser, counterclockwise is stiffer (which is almost counter intuitive). I keep mine on '2' in front and '1' in the rear for autocross, '2' in front and '6' in rear for track days.

Rest assured, though, you have a badass set of coilovers.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

using the spring rate conversion sticky, i realize i was off on my spring rate guesstimation

8.8k/10.5k. That's an awesome street spring setup.

Drop that ride height and get her aligned and post back!! Do you have pillow-ball mounts?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot.
Ed
I don't think you'll be able to set those coilovers to have your car sit as high as stock. Most coilovers out there have a pre-defined height adjustment range and even at the maximum height settings, it'll still be lower than stock (they are designed with less travel in mind). If you try to force it higher, you'll just end up pre-loading the springs more and it won't sit any higher.

Last edited by funks; Jul 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS9 NOT what I expected. .