Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Koni shock/struts for the Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni shock/struts for the Evo?

I am planning on doing some suspension work on my Evo this spring, but I don't know what direction I want to go. In doing this suspension work, I want to fix 2 things. 1) reduce the body roll and tighten up the car 2) get rid of some of the ugly wheel/wheel well gap, especially in the front.

I know I could just do springs, but I have never liked this approach. I would probably fix problem #2, but I don't know that it wouldn't increase problem #1.

I know I could do coilovers. But to be 100% honest, I really wouldn't take advantage of them. I auto-x & track my car, but not very often. I simply don't have the time necessary for these undertakings very often... (and the $!) Coilovers are simply massive overkill for my driving asperations and pocketbook. The complexity is also an issue, as I don't know enough to properly set them up, and it's doubtful that I could find a shop in the region that could. (Minnesota is a wasteland for car performace guys despite the numerous performance cars on the road)

So, I am thinking that a set of Koni or Tokiko (or similar) struts/shocks might be the perfect answer for me. They would even out the wheel/well gap somewhat and firm up the ride without breaking the bank. I have used both in the past, and would buy either again. Now the bad news: from what I can find, neither company makes thier product for the Evo.... Does anyone know if there are plans to remedy this?

Last edited by trigeek37; Feb 5, 2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2004, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

This is the reply I got from Koni today. My guess is this is the same reason no one else makes replacement shocks:

We do not offer an application for this vehicle. No plans to make
anything due to the inverted mono tube design.

Thank you,

Stoney Hamilton
Toll Free: 800-922-2616 x331
PH: 859-488-0331
FX: 859-334-3340
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same thing here. Nothing yet from Koni or KYB
Old Jul 8, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

You can get a basic coilover kit that is non-adjustable for a pretty good price. Just look around this site and you will come across several.