Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2.2L and Stock Turbo - Torque Monster - 5150/BakaUnchi Tuned

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
That looks very fun Murlo. enjoy it. Torque is super fun on the street with small turbos.
Thank you sir, and yes higher displacement plus small turbo is fun, lag is boring It's weird though, I have had to readjust my shifting a lot as my t4 6266 was a bit laggier haha.
Originally Posted by Bmore_EvoX
Awesome results Murlo! I wonder how long the stock turbo will last hitting 30+ psi
I guess we will have to find out I don't romp on the car a lot as I barely drive it so I am guessing at least through next year but we will see how much i use the car then.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Murlo
Congrats on the numbers! I've been thinking about doing the same but with my 18K. I have all the boltons down to a ported polish Über exhaust manifold, intake and TB. This setup got me 398awhp and 352awtq with the 18K and a untouched head and block. I'm hopping that if I was to add the AMS 2.4 big bore crate motor I can squeeze 500awhp and tq. After seeing your numbers I feel comfortable it should get me there. Thanks for being the forum trend starter.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know that I am necessarily a trend starter, just following the natural progression haha.

It seems my route is the same used by many in the 8/9 game.

1. stock evo
2. stock evo tuned
3. bolt ons evo tuned
4. bigger turbo
5. e85, blow up motor
6. build motor with biger turbo and e85
7. motor fails again, rebuild with more displacement now and even bigger turbo
8 upgrade all supporting mods
9. big giant laggy 800whp turbo on
10. get bored with it or run out of money, swap for smaller stock turbo or stock frame turbo, but now has uber build with all sorts of fun stuff

Ok, so not the same as me, but a lot of people have done similar paths lol.

I have seen many evo 8/9 guys get tired of their big power cars and instead of selling the downgrade the turbo to like an fpgreen and have a wide *** power band with 450-550 whp and wtq and enjoy the car again. The extra displacement makes a smaller bolt on turbo feel very stock still, or in my case the stock turbo feel even peppier.

It's not a bad setup, feels kind of like a waste as I could be making like 1000whp with a bigger turbo and revamped fuel system but still very fun.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 01:25 PM

WHP isn't fun. Torque is fun, rowing through gears is fun, smoking tires is fun. This is exactly the kind of build I want. Though I would maybe do a 2.2 strocker instead of overbore, spend a little less on head work cause I wouldn't need the reves, but keep the turbo small like an MHI, MAP 2.5, 7163 etc.

That car looks like a blast to drive. Great power band, lots of low end grunt. Drop the hammer at 3K and just smile.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the AFR on the e85 setup!?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

i was to see this car with a stock app turbo !!!!! but would love to see what this thing does in the quarter with this set up and a good driver
Old Oct 31, 2014, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NY Black momba
i was to see this car with a stock app turbo !!!!! but would love to see what this thing does in the quarter with this set up and a good driver
Same. My guess would be mid to low 11's as is
Old Nov 1, 2014, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

why does it spools so late??? .....you should be getting 25 psi by 2900 rpm.....youre getting 25 around 3600.....youre on a 2.2....you should be at like 2500 rpm lollll that sucks....so my 2.0 spools faster than your 2.2....that sounds weird lolllll
Old Nov 1, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

or maybe you just started the pull very late.....might be that...hopefully :-p .....i recon that this car has everything it needs to be might 10s!!!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
Same. My guess would be mid to low 11's as is
I'd be very very happy with mid 11's with my wheel/tire/brake package. Oh, and the clutch I have in there, that doesn't help as I think its on its way out after seeing 600wtq last year. The car has these numbers in it for sure just a matter of practice and going there I think, we shall see.

AFR's are roughly around 12 now if you look at the most recent graph.

Also, I did start the pull real late, that is the main problem.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it to the track and let it have it Lets see how she does.

If we are placing bets and its full weight.....I'd say 11.60

Either way...nice power.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
Take it to the track and let it have it Lets see how she does.

If we are placing bets and its full weight.....I'd say 11.60

Either way...nice power.
It's not quite full weight and wouldn't be at track. trunk is gutted various other stuff to remove weight like exhaust system etc. But not a whole lot of weight removal.

I will get it to the track this spring, winter now sadly.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Murlo

Do you get any surge?

I am surprised a bit that such a power curve is more fun than your more powerful past experiences.
I have had an HKS 7460 turbo on my 2.3 Evo 8, which was "inherited" from the 2.0: it was so responsive it was almost unmanageable. It would spool up at the slightest depression of the throttle.
Driving on normal backroad was major pain, nearly impossible to be smooth.
Since that experience I learned that I really like the normally aspirated power band, and that for me at least mimicking NA power band with turbo car is the what produces greatest pleasure of driving.

I do like having a BBK-B now on 2.3, as it does not surge but builds torque that it feels like an LSx V8: much more linear than HKS, but still super responsive.

I think based on my various experiences that a 7670 EFR may just be the ticket for you.

Here is a point of view: let's say you have $45K in your car. For argument sake.
And you are very happy now: I know that you spent halleluva more with past setups, but let's just assume its '12 Evo X and mods, say $45K in for owner.
And if you now invested another $5K it would be absolutely amazing car. So $50K total.

Its 11% investment on top of the total thus far, to go from really good car to really great car.

This is an argument, but the best choice for you is something I cannot begin to assume.
I skipped some of the typical steps you listed, fortunately approaching conservatively thus far. So I don't know where you have been and what does it feel coming from that prospective into this argument.

In any case, you have definitely had fun, and we had fun with you!
You always had awesome updates we look forward to.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Murlo

Do you get any surge?

I am surprised a bit that such a power curve is more fun than your more powerful past experiences.
I have had an HKS 7460 turbo on my 2.3 Evo 8, which was "inherited" from the 2.0: it was so responsive it was almost unmanageable. It would spool up at the slightest depression of the throttle.
Driving on normal backroad was major pain, nearly impossible to be smooth.
Since that experience I learned that I really like the normally aspirated power band, and that for me at least mimicking NA power band with turbo car is the what produces greatest pleasure of driving.

I do like having a BBK-B now on 2.3, as it does not surge but builds torque that it feels like an LSx V8: much more linear than HKS, but still super responsive.

I think based on my various experiences that a 7670 EFR may just be the ticket for you.

Here is a point of view: let's say you have $45K in your car. For argument sake.
And you are very happy now: I know that you spent halleluva more with past setups, but let's just assume its '12 Evo X and mods, say $45K in for owner.
And if you now invested another $5K it would be absolutely amazing car. So $50K total.

Its 11% investment on top of the total thus far, to go from really good car to really great car.

This is an argument, but the best choice for you is something I cannot begin to assume.
I skipped some of the typical steps you listed, fortunately approaching conservatively thus far. So I don't know where you have been and what does it feel coming from that prospective into this argument.

In any case, you have definitely had fun, and we had fun with you!
You always had awesome updates we look forward to.
Surge, yes. 5th gear kinda sucks as the car spools so quick on the freeway that its tough to do partial throttle stuff. Otherwise, surge isn't too bad as Jon has my mivec tuned well

To be honest, the 7670 was my planned next step when I bought the stock turbo setup again. I was going to temporarily use the stock turbo then bump it up to the 7670 from FULL Race next year or soon after.

Not sure what I am going to do now. I am starting to enjoy spending money on other stuff now a days so we will see.

It would be more than $5k to switch setups again though, close to 10 maybe, as it will require fuel changes too.

For now I am going to get a better clutch, multidisk one, probably exedy triple. Then do a surge tank and get that setup properly. And then I want new tires, leaning towards BFG rivals.

Power wise, the car is fun enough for now and it isn't a risk to blow it up as much now either which i like