Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

the great air filter question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the great air filter question

So I got the Perrin stage one kit, which comes with AP and foam filter, but I have doubts about running the foam filter. I bought a Cosworth filter instead. I have always looked down on foam filters because they are not known for good filtration. So I thought. I read the perrin blog and found an article on foam filters. Perrin claims foam filters are actually the best. I just find that hard to believe. Ya they may be the best for flow but not for filtration. So chime in with your opinion/evidence for either way.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, no offence but 'you find it hard to believe'? Are you serious? Instead of posting questions like this spend an hour researching facts.

And while on topic why do you find it hard to believe? Have you performed any actual tests to prove this, and better yet have you taken a physics or chem course while in high school.

I don't mean to sound like an *** but I actually spilled coffee this morning while reading this otherwise I would have not put me 02cents in here. cheers
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:23 PM

Ya bubba i find it hard to believe....
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think the filter debates have caused as much blood shed as the oil debates. I have run paper, cotton and foam on various vehicles over the years, I never had engine trouble with any. If you keep the washable filters clean and properly oiled, they filter fine. It's all about maintenance. I would stick with reputable names, as you already have, and not worry about it any more.

If you want to read tons and tons of information about paper vs. cotton vs. foam filters, check out the TDIClub forums. They have results from several scientists utilizing microscopes, etc., trying to figure out what is best. Oil and fuel filters too. It never ends.

I choose to pick what works and just drive the damn thing.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by mixlplix
So I got the Perrin stage one kit, which comes with AP and foam filter, but I have doubts about running the foam filter. I bought a Cosworth filter instead. I have always looked down on foam filters because they are not known for good filtration. So I thought. I read the perrin blog and found an article on foam filters. Perrin claims foam filters are actually the best. I just find that hard to believe. Ya they may be the best for flow but not for filtration. So chime in with your opinion/evidence for either way.
Actually paper flows better initially. Good foam filters actually filter very well and don't get that clogging effect as bad as paper filters.

I switch out from paper to foam every oil change. I just clean the other until the next oil change. Everyone I know that has a dirt bike or quad uses foam filters and those guys are riding through the desert where it's nothing but sand and dirt.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Foam filters are very effective and filtration, as mentioned above, there is a reason the dirt bike, off-road truck, and ATV guys run them. They can trap and hold a lot more dirt and dust than paper, cotton, or synthetic material filters before becoming clogged. The Perrin, AFE, K&N, and Cosworth filters are all very good. The only filter I recomend staying away from is the HKS since that one is known for very poor filtration quality (it is a much thinner and looser type of dry foam, Perrin uses a nicer quality oiled foam).

I ran a Perrin filter on my IX, and now an AFE filter on my X. Both were great quality, both work well, and I've had no issues with either.

Here's a test I did quite a few years back: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-results.html

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Foam filters are very effective and filtration, as mentioned above, there is a reason the dirt bike, off-road truck, and ATV guys run them. They can trap and hold a lot more dirt and dust than paper, cotton, or synthetic material filters before becoming clogged. The Perrin, AFE, K&N, and Cosworth filters are all very good. The only filter I recomend staying away from is the HKS since that one is known for very poor filtration quality (it is a much thinner and looser type of dry foam, Perrin uses a nicer quality oiled foam).

I ran a Perrin filter on my IX, and now an AFE filter on my X. Both were great quality, both work well, and I've had no issues with either.

Here's a test I did quite a few years back: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...t-results.html

Ya i hear ya. I just figured foam filters didnt clog as easy because they simply didnt filter very good.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
They have thicker material so they can trap more in depth, not just on the surface.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
They have thicker material so they can trap more in depth, not just on the surface.
Nice test Kracka! You deserve some sort of community award for the services provided here.

For those interested, check http://www.pipercross.net/home.asp

Pipercross supplies F1, nough said.. oh and they use multi layer foam.

People need to realize that power is all about intake temps, colder=denser air/more oxygen=more power. All competitive race intakes are enclosed for that reason.

If you want the best, they just announced C7000 enclosed element, the enclosure is plasma sprayed with a special coating from Zircotec, reducing the intake charge temps by 30%.

Now do you have a spare $1000? Then stick to perin. Cheers,

Edit: They offer a drop in for the stock box 40 british pounds.

http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/p...l=336&kit=3506

Last edited by Cellar Door; Dec 9, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Nice test Kracka! You deserve some sort of community award for the services provided here.

For those interested, check http://www.pipercross.net/home.asp

Pipercross supplies F1, nough said.. oh and they use multi layer foam.

People need to realize that power is all about intake temps, colder=denser air/more oxygen=more power. All competitive race intakes are enclosed for that reason.

If you want the best, they just announced C7000 enclosed element, the enclosure is plasma sprayed with a special coating from Zircotec, reducing the intake charge temps by 30%.

Now do you have a spare $1000? Then stick to perin. Cheers,

Edit: They offer a drop in for the stock box 40 british pounds.

http://www.thepipercrossshop.co.uk/p...l=336&kit=3506
Now that was a noteworthy reply...not some **** ripping on me for starting the thread.