Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

S-AWC Service Light and clicking clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S-AWC Service Light and clicking clutch pedal

1/12/14 UPDATE: Both issues are resolved. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I've left my original post unedited in the event anyone else comes across either issue in the future.

Back story: I own a 2008 Evo with about 76,000 miles on the clock. I had an Exedy Twin HD installed for the past 30k miles or so, along with the Magnus CMC kit. Recently while engaging the clutch at parking lot speeds, the pedal made a clicking noise and felt mushy, and the car wouldn't go into gear with the motor running. I had it towed to a shop where I was told one of the prongs of the clutch release fork had broken off. It was also discovered that the CMC was broken, likely due to the clutch seizing when the fork broke. The shop ordered a new fork and Magnus sent me a new Evo IX CMC along with a new clip and ball joint for their CMC kit. I also had a new clutch installed at this time since the transmission was already removed (ACT ME3-HDSS clutch w/ Streetlite flywheel).

The shop finished the installs and the car feels perfectly fine, for the most part. This clutch is such a nice change of pace from the Exedy twin disc for street driving.

Current status: As I was pulling out of the shop, I received the S-AWC Service Required light for the first time ever (this isn't my photo):
Name:  JWW1AKB.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  10.1 KB

The light does not appear until the car begins moving, and it remains on until the car is turned off. While the light is on, I cannot utilize S-AWC or switch between Tarmac/Gravel/Snow. I can switch between T/G/S like normal when the car is first turned on and hasn't yet started moving. I'm aware of the pump failures and other issues, but I'm mainly concerned about the timing of this considering the recent repairs/installations that the shop just performed.

The second issue is that my clutch pedal is clicking towards the very top of the pedal. After about an inch or two, there will be a heavy click that is audible and can be physically felt, before the clutch continues smoothly to the floor.

I asked the shop about both of these issues, and was told that the S-AWC light was nothing to worry about and just needed to be reset at a dealer, and the pedal clicking was due to a bushing on the pedal that was worn out and should be easily replaceable. I'm not aware of such a bushing, but if anyone can provide some info, I'd appreciate it.

I'll be scheduling an appointment at a local dealer for this weekend to diagnose both issues (hopefully), but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience after a clutch installation. I don't know if this is a strange coincidence and my car is suddenly revolting against me, or if either of these could be results of the recent work done to the car.

Any input for either issue would be much appreciated.

Last edited by macPSU; Jan 12, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did they bleed the line to the ACD after doing all that transmission work? If not, that's first. If they did bleed it, odds are you just lost your pump. Either way, that's a self-resetting code, so going to the dealer to "reset it" will do nothing (that I know of).
Old Jan 6, 2014, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

^Thanks for the input.

It turns out the shop must have let some of the S-AWC fluid drain, as the level was extremely low. I picked a quart up at the dealer, topped the fluid, and all's well.

Now I just need to figure out why the clutch pedal's clicking and I can go back to sleeping a full night again.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please note that if your fluid went low enough to cause the pump to not achieve pressure and throw a code, then you may have air-pockets in your lines. This won't throw a code, but will make the ACD and AYC much less effective. The solution, as it were, is to rebleed.

If you aren't having any problems and like how the car is driving, you can ignore this.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your feedback, Iowa. I had a local dealer change all of the fluids last week, as I had my doubts about the work the previous shop had done. The bill wasn't pretty but I can rest easy now.

Also, for anyone wondering, it turns out clicking clutch pedal was from a worn out socket/clip on my Magnus CMC kit. Magnus sent a new part out for me and it was easily replaced; no more clicking pedal. Side note: Magnus is great to work with and they really helped me out the past few weeks, sending some replacement parts to me ASAP. I had their kit installed for about 30k miles over the past 2 1/2 years, so it was just a little wear and tear on one of the machined parts.

Last edited by macPSU; Jan 12, 2014 at 01:38 PM.