Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Getting my evo track "ready" opinions plz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 08:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Do you have a surge tank? You will hit fuel starvation pretty quickly on E85, depending on the track orientation.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Do you have a surge tank? You will hit fuel starvation pretty quickly on E85, depending on the track orientation.

Nope just a wally450
Old Nov 22, 2016, 06:57 AM
EvoM Guru

I would do something about that sooner than later then.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What Razor said. You'll start to sputter pretty bad on longer left hand turns at around half a tank and right handers shortly after. As you prob know fuel starvation on our motors is a death sentence. Take extra fuel! I'm not on E85 yet but from what I've read (guys, correct me if I'm wrong)you'll go through about 4-5 gallons per 20 min session on E85.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JJwins
What Razor said. You'll start to sputter pretty bad on longer left hand turns at around half a tank and right handers shortly after. As you prob know fuel starvation on our motors is a death sentence. Take extra fuel! I'm not on E85 yet but from what I've read (guys, correct me if I'm wrong)you'll go through about 4-5 gallons per 20 min session on E85.
it will happen way before half tank on E85 on a left centric track
Old Nov 22, 2016, 07:13 PM

it will happen way before half tank on E85 on a left centric track
Really? Wow! Okay... as I mentioned I'm not on E85 yet but plan to pick up all my E85/Flex Fuel goodies this friday. Was planning to just carry a **** ton of fuel with me to the track till I figure out my surge tank but now you've got me second guessing. I've experienced fuel starvation on 93 and its not a good feeling... at what tank level would you say starvation would begin on E85?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by JJwins
Really? Wow! Okay... as I mentioned I'm not on E85 yet but plan to pick up all my E85/Flex Fuel goodies this friday. Was planning to just carry a **** ton of fuel with me to the track till I figure out my surge tank but now you've got me second guessing. I've experienced fuel starvation on 93 and its not a good feeling... at what tank level would you say starvation would begin on E85?
It happened to me on the stock turbo on a very left centric 3 mile track by the third lap after starting the session with a full tank.

For the first track day on 93 octane I wouldn't worry about it but once you start going faster you need to start thinking about it. The higher demands of ethanol exacerbate the situation.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 07:48 AM

It happened to me on the stock turbo on a very left centric 3 mile track by the third lap after starting the session with a full tank.

For the first track day on 93 octane I wouldn't worry about it but once you start going faster you need to start thinking about it. The higher demands of ethanol exacerbate the situation.
Good to know that E85 will starve before 93. On 93 I've been fine with keeping it over half a tank and figured half a tank is half a tank. Guess Ill have to rethink my setup.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
I think they mean the car consumes e85 faster, thus you'll run into the problem sooner, if I'm not mistaken. I'd maybe anticipate filling after every session
Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
I think they mean the car consumes e85 faster, thus you'll run into the problem sooner, if I'm not mistaken. I'd maybe anticipate filling after every session
Sort of. It's not because the tank drains faster, it's because once the pump does start to starve, the engine consumes what is in the fuel line faster.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
gotcha - interesting. oil starve in one gen, fuel starve in the other lol
Old Nov 23, 2016, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The 8/9 gets fuel starve as well, just much later, like below 1/4 tank. And the X has oil starve issue as well. It's just what happens when you build a car up so it is capable of way more than it was ever designed for.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Nov 23, 2016)
Old Nov 24, 2016, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Is this all that I will need and this will work with my 450 correct?

https://www.maperformance.com/collec...tion-x-20-0113

If there is anything else I need to install this please say so.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
Is this all that I will need and this will work with my 450 correct?

https://www.maperformance.com/collec...tion-x-20-0113

If there is anything else I need to install this please say so.
No, that is just the install kit, you also need the surge tank itself.

Check out my write up I did awhile back: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fuel-rail.html

at the very least you need the install kit PLUS the surge tank.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

No, that is just the install kit, you also need the surge tank itself.

Check out my write up I did awhile back: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...fuel-rail.html

at the very least you need the install kit PLUS the surge tank.
Yeah I figured it wasn't all I needed. Very nice write up added that to my favorites. I will probably do that exact setup once I get a better idea of the track and my car. I'm gonna hold off on it (mainly cause I just spent a nice chunk of money on ohlins and some other suspension mods) for my first time out cause ik I won't be flying around corners and I'll just make sure I keep adding fuel throughout the day.

I do have a aem fuel pressure gauge routed off my boomba rail to inside my car as well so I can monitor it that way. Even tho I'm assuming it won't be able to warn me if I am going to have fuel cuts?

Quick Reply: Getting my evo track "ready" opinions plz