Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

how do i read the oil dipstick on my evo 9?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i read the oil dipstick on my evo 9?

How do i read the oil dipstick on my evo 9?my car has 1475 miles and my car ticks when it is idling.i asked a friend he told me i need more oil, so i checked the oil and the dipstick has no markings just a noch.Can someone please explain?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
If the IX dipstick is the same as the VIII, there should be two notches. The bottom notch (closer to the tip of the dipstick) is like the "quart low" mark and the top notch (closest to the handle) is the full mark.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:58 PM

Just got the car huh. Well in your owners manual it shows where the oil level needs to be in regards to the notches. Pretty much the oil level needs to be towards the middle of the upper notch when the vehicle is cold. Always check your oil after the car has sit for a while to cool off and let it settle to the oilpan. If it's ticking, and it's troubling you, take it by the service station from the place you purchased your vehicle. Most of the time the service people are friendly and helpful not matter what the question is.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:03 PM

thank you guys!!!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Let the motor cool so the oil drains to the bottom fo the pan then lift up dip stick, wipe clean, stick it back in there all the way then pull it out. If the oil is between the two notches you are good to go. The ticking is most likely associated with the injectors, the evo has a lot of weird/loud noises that you would typically not hear in your normal car. However if it really worries you, you can take it to the dealership.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, retarded question but just wanted to make sure, just did an oil change and tried checking the oil level on the dipstick. There's liquid within the "good" mark but it's not dark oil color, just clear liquid. Is this because the oil is new or should the marking be with the darkish oil color? I poured about 4.5 quarts after filling the filter.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take a fast food drink lid & pour a little of your left over oil on to it. Should be a little yellow depending on the type of oil your using. Compare it to what you see on the dipstick. Same color? Good to go. Different? You'll need to give more info about the car.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by APEXR
Take a fast food drink lid & pour a little of your left over oil on to it. Should be a little yellow depending on the type of oil your using. Compare it to what you see on the dipstick. Same color? Good to go. Different? You'll need to give more info about the car.
It is a little yellow but still not as clear as the liquid on the dipstick. There is liquid at the very bottom of the dipstick that is as yellow as the oil I poured, but it is not within the good mark. There is still liquid within the good mark(no higher), just slightly clearer than the oil. Car is completely stock, used castrol edge titanium 10w-30.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately I'm no expert, & it doesn't sound like your situation should be handled under this thread title anyway. I'd recommend searching in the https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...drivetrain-22/ or start a new thread there if you have no luck. Good luck.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by APEXR
Unfortunately I'm no expert, & it doesn't sound like your situation should be handled under this thread title anyway. I'd recommend searching in the https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...drivetrain-22/ or start a new thread there if you have no luck. Good luck.
Maybe I'm just being a litle OCD about it lol, thanks for the response though.