Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

fouling plugs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fouling plugs?

i have an 03 evo viii. the only mods i have are a turbo back exhaust, intake, and a manual boost controller(set to 18-19lbs). my check engine light came on about three hours after the install of the turbo back exhaust. everything still seemed to run fine. so i took the car to a friends shop to see what the cel was from. the cel is from the exhaust. i noticed that when i get on it a little bit, it feels like the plugs are fouling. so i changed the plugs thinking that might help. it did for a day or so, then it started running like crap again. judging by the old plugs, it seems to be running lean. could the cel be causing this? any thoughts would be awesome. thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
If you switched out the cat for a test pipe your CEL will come on. The computer is thinking that the cat is bad because it is not sensing a change in O2 between the 2 sensors.
Search for spark plug non fouler and you will find a $3 fix for this problem.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknsnoboarder
If you switched out the cat for a test pipe your CEL will come on. The computer is thinking that the cat is bad because it is not sensing a change in O2 between the 2 sensors.
Search for spark plug non fouler and you will find a $3 fix for this problem.
+1

Or getting a tune is always an idea! Try looking for a tuner in your local area that will do a simple street tune for you, they arent as expensive and i dont think DYNO time is needed nor worth it over a street tune for just simple bolt-ons.

A tune will get rid of that CEL and trick your ECU into thinking everything is A-Okay!