Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Question: Evo 8 timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Evo 8 timing belt, tensioner, and idler pulley

Hi guys. I am wondering whether you guys can give me suggestions on WHEN I should change the timing belt, especially the tensioner and idler pulley. I am thinking to buy the Greddy belts. But hard to find a good review.
Thanks!!!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to ask. How can I tell whether they are in bad condition?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mileage is key, I think Mitsubishi has a service interval of 60k on the belts. Its not so much inspection the components to see if they are showing signs of wear, as it is more of a preventative maintenance. I peiced together a full timing belt kit with tensioner and pulleys with a water pump off amazon for cheap, using all gates parts. Your just better off replacing it all while your in there and having the peice of mind that its safe. Let alone its a hassle enough to get to most of the components.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how modded your evo is but I would stick to oem timing and balance shaft belts.

There is a great 'How To' if you decide to tackle the timing belt job yourself. You can go OEM or piece together parts cheaper. There is also a thread showing title 'Timing Belt on a Budget' or something like that which breaks down the non-oem parts you can use at discounted prices compared to oem.

Like the other member said, mileage is key. You can visually inspect the timing belt but mileage is the key factor. If you don't know when the timing belt job was done last and what components were changed, I would get it done with sooner than later. Just to be safe.