Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake battle and its results

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake battle and its results

I was thumbing through a mag and saw this ad on the battle of intake: CAI vs SRI. I was a bit surprised by its results.

I kinda knew CAI wasn't all that efficient for NA application. Of course, you may have to vary your judgement a bit. At least, there is some info for anyone to base their POV, a starting point.

http://*******************/tprdyno.html

enjoy.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

I can see how they got their results, but dynos usually are setup with the cars hoods up and industrial fans blowing on them. Yes a short ram would be optimum in dyno testing, but only cause the air doesn't have to travel as far. Let the engine warm up nice and good with the hood shut and then compare short ram vs CAI. I've gone from short ram to CAI, In my opinion CAI wins with out a doubt!
Old Oct 17, 2003, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

I would have to agree. I also went from short ram to CAI its no comparison
Old Oct 19, 2003, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm not in favor or against CAI or not. I just want to bring the info out there.

Just like when I bought my Blitz filter for my mitsu, it has the most airflow but at the price of being dirty. When I periodically check the amount of dirt and grime on the butterfly of the TB, I was surprised it was just as dirty as factory air filter.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

wouldnt the air in a CAI get warmed up anyways?

i mean the metal tubing runs all along the engine bay and im guessing the heat from the engine bay will transfer into the metal tubing and then into the air..i really doubt there really is any significant difference in air temp. a cai might bring in a little cooler air since air is a pretty good insulator, but i doubt it's actually worth the money.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 05:21 PM

Saying I had a SRI on my mirage, I remember feeling the tube after getting back from a run, and it was warm. W/ the CAI on my Lancer, I take a ride get all warmed up, head home, that tube is nice and cool, all the way up to the TB.
Old Oct 19, 2003, 08:02 PM

Does anybody know the advantages of using a sri with the addition of a hood scoop compared to the cold air intake. Which do you think would be better? I was also contemplating the possibility of rigging my air conditioning so it would blow some of that cold air directly into the intake. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 19, 2003, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting..