Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

bad slave/master cylinder? 2002 lancer ls

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad slave/master cylinder? 2002 lancer ls

i was driving on the highway and traffic was slow. i tried downshifting to fourth but the clutch had no feel/pressure. I coasted to the exit ramp and came to a stop. i shut off the car, pushed in the clutch, shifted into gear, and started the car. Immediately the car stalled out. The clutch had no pressure and it was rough shifting into gears. I bled the slave cylinder and pressure was regained in the clutch. A week later the same problem reoccurred. We re-bled the slave cylinder and topped it off with new dot-3 brake oil. Its been a little over a week and roughly 100+ miles since we re-bled the slave cylinder. Is this a cause of air in the system or a faulty salve/master cylinder?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you've got a leak...check master and lines for leaks,if not, it's your slave
Old Mar 1, 2015, 07:19 PM

have you changed the slave cylinder on a 2002-2003? i didnt find any leaks on the master or the slave. i took off the rubber seal and put my finger in the housing and didnt find any leaks for the slave cylinder.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gooov
have you changed the slave cylinder on a 2002-2003? i didnt find any leaks on the master or the slave. i took off the rubber seal and put my finger in the housing and didnt find any leaks for the slave cylinder.

yes I have...I just sold my 2003 lancer ES not too long ago, I'm familiar with the CS6A chassis...can you explain how you bled the system?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:08 AM

I had someone pump the clutch 10x times, had them hold the clutch pedal in, opened the bleeder screw, closed the bleeder screw and then told them to take their foot off the pedal. and i just checked the clutch master cylinder on top of the pedal and it was dry. The car was sitting for about a year, and when we bled it the first time it was completely dirty. Do you think i should just drain the entire brake oil from the master cylinder and put fresh brake oil?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 09:13 AM

i did that procedure about 4 times
Old Mar 4, 2015, 07:09 PM

Sounds like your slave. I just today opened my transmission up to find out why I was suddenly losing pressure and leaving a puddle of fluids under my oz. And found my Throwout bering in half. I took pics but don't see where to post them.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:23 PM

weird thing is, it's not leaking oil anywhere. the master cylinder is dry, above the clutch pedal is dry, and the slave cylinder housing is also dry. im thinking since the car was sitting for awhile(maybe 6 months-1 year) that air got in the system. im going to try to take out all of the oil from the brake reserovir and bleed the slave cylinder the right way. what are signs of a bad throw out bearing? much appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

your bleeding procedure is incorrect, for the clutch system, you DO NOT pump the pedal, that is only for brake bleeding...simply press it to the floor, open/close the bleed valve, and repeat until clutch releases fully.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 07:27 PM

im going to do that this weekend. do you think the slave is bad?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

you checked the master cylinder and lines for leaks? is there any fluid dripping from the bell housing? make sure the reservoir does not drop below "MIN" during bleeding, cause if you suck in air from the reservoir, you're back at square one, just press the clutch pedal to the floor slowly while bleeding...
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:42 PM

i read a few forums regarding the no pressure/feel from the clutch and a few people mentioned that the bore on the clutch master cylinder was malfunctioning due to highway driving or inactivity of the clutch. the clutch master cylinder didnt not have enough hydraulic pressure to engage the clutch. so i changed the cmc yesterday and the pressure feels a lot stronger than it used to. i havent drove the car on the highway yet to see if it was cmc, but ill post a reply as soon as i go on a long trip.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:43 PM

i couldnt find any leaks anywhere and the bell housing for the slave cylinder was dry. thanks for everyones input.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

if the piston in the master cylinder was not producing pressure, it would leak somewhere...hydraulic fluids (brake fluid) is not compressible.