Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Question about matinance of paint.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about matinance of paint.

This is my first post. I've been lurking for several days now, but something has me worried. After getting my Lancer OZ this past week, yah! me , I came across several topics on the paint. What has me worried is that several people have said that the paint fades, chips, and eventually rusts.

My question is, what can I do to prevent fading chipping and rusting? I am worried about using any waxes that might harm the paint or stripe the clear coat.

What do you guys use to keep your cars in good condition?

Thanks,
Shingen
Old May 18, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

wax, and a clear bra isnt a bad idea, i live in Colorado and getting one of those would have been a life saver, now my front end has all kinds of chips but it would have happened sooner or later....

my paint also faded green along my ss, so repainted those for me... The paint is REALLY thin on our cars so protect it as much as possible now that it is new, cause once you get the little chips and that, there really isnt any motivation to use protective measures.
Old May 18, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know how much of an issue heat/sun is in VA, but I live in Arizona so I have to keep my car in the garage all the time or in the shade whenever possible.
Old May 18, 2003, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RollerPyro
I don't know how much of an issue heat/sun is in VA, but I live in Arizona so I have to keep my car in the garage all the time or in the shade whenever possible.
The sun isn't all that much an issue. I don't think I've seen the sun in about a week (those of you that are in my area or watch the weather channel know what I am talking about... feels like Seattle lately)

It doesn't get hot here till late June, so there isn't that much to worry about. And, we have lots of trees... So shade isn't hard to find when parking.

I have to keep my Lancer outside when at home, which only adds to my aprehention concerning the paint. And I refuse to buy a cover for a car that only set me back a few grand... I'm concerned but not crazy.

I owned a 97' Jeep Wrangler Sport for five years and I could care less about the paint on that car, cause it's meant for abuse and dings. Plus, faded paint only added to the mistique of the Jeep. With concern to my Lancer, I want to keep it in as good of shape as I can.

Any cleaning products I should be using or should I just start hiving away money up for a paint job now?

Shingen
Old May 18, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

u'll see that most liquid waxes out there MOTHER'S, MEGUIAR'S, TURTLE WAX, just to name of a few.... are all clear coat sate.

i just got my car like 3 months ago, but i'm planning to wax the front to keep it protected...
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

This was my first thread I ever started here on Evom. I now have 500 posts as of this one and I wanted to Evolve with some style. So I come back to thead that started it all, well over a year ago.

To keep it on topic, my paint has the battle scares of over 20,000 miles of commuting. There is a scratch on the rear right quarter panal and a chip on the front hood. There isn't any fading to speak of but the paint on the bumper and the sideskirts is starting to peal in places. Each of these things bother me but the car is for the most part in good condition. Mitsubishi paint likes boys.

With that I am now Evolved! Took me long enough.

Fox
Old Feb 10, 2005, 04:07 PM

I'd definitely recommend a clear bra to protect against those nasty paint chips.