Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

New car Protection Package?? worth it??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car Protection Package?? worth it??

im at the dealership looking for a new car (08 lancer gts), and they offer me a NEW car protection package, now this package cost $1600 (CND), something that i can't afford at the moment, since the lancer is already reaching my budget.. anyways this is what they offer:

- anti-rust protection (they do something to protect from rust)
- paint fade, and rock chip protection (i think its 3m on the front bumper + they do something to coat the paint so it doesn't fade over time)
- interior protection from spills on the fabric
- and interior sound protection (sounds better, and prevents ratteling)

individually they are $400 each .. i was thinking of saving myself a few dollors and just getting the paint fade/rock chip protection..

do you guys think its worth it to get the other stuff?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:10 PM

i would do it
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eventually your probably going to get chips. You can probably do the dynamat and other stuff for way less. I would say no to everything. Just my .02 cents.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:18 PM

i'll get the 3m rock protection somewhere else.. and heres what i plan to do for everything else:

-anti-rust > i'll just wax on a regular basis. which i already do..

-sound dampening stuff > i'll get in the future when i can afford it..

-interior protection > i'll just buy that fabric spray protector and spray that stuff myself..

thx guys.. you probably saved me 1600 ..

Last edited by lancerpinoy; Jul 16, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

paint protection sounds good, i personally think bras are ugly and not worth it even if they do save your paint
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:23 PM

^^ i think bra's look nice.. but thats just my opinion.. but i havn't seen it on a 08 lancer.. ive seen it on a mazda 3, and it looks nice on that car
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

for what it's worth: isn't there already a warranty on rust and corrosion? there should be. i was reading through the crap in the WAPCE's glovebox the other day and it had the original dealer paperwork and manual and it said in the manual that the car came pre-treated from the factory with anti-rust/corrosion materials and that if you applied a coating on your own aside from this stuff the rust and corrosion warranty would be voided.

now, her car is a GM so this may or may not be relevant--but i know that some evo guys have dealt with their local dealerships because of rust or corrosion and as far as i know it was covered under a warranty.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a load of bollocks.

- Anti-rust.......its a 2008, you don't even have to worry about rust. Maybe in like 5-10 years.

- just wax your car regularly and don't drive through mine shafts, car bra's are ugly, you can probably get one on ebay for cheper even if you do want one

-interior protection???? what, are they gonna wrap everything in plastic?

- Sound dampening is the only reasonable thing i can justify paying extra for.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do your self a favor, take your wife and kids on a nice vacation somewhere for 1600. to be honest. I dont think you will be needing that stuff unless you are just are just a mess inside your car. as for the rust proofing. Go to canadian tire and pick up a rust in hiberter for a cheap price, they are worth the money and they work.

as for the bra/3m stuff, it will only work to a certain point. it reduces your chances of a deep impact. but we have all see rocks hitting the windshield, one of those bad boys hitting your bumper or hood, it just again going to help.

it will reduce your amount of chips no doubt but one chip or 3 chips or 5 or 100, more then one sucks.

Also it really depends on the color of your car. black chips are much easier to hide with touch up paint. now white silver or lighter stuff I think are harder to hide.

Its all about risk management. but your better off keeping the money in your pocket and should you one day need a paint job. reach in there and slam that 1600 on the table.

Cheers
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerpinoy
im at the dealership looking for a new car (08 lancer gts), and they offer me a NEW car protection package, now this package cost $1600 (CND), something that i can't afford at the moment, since the lancer is already reaching my budget.. anyways this is what they offer:

- anti-rust protection (they do something to protect from rust)
- paint fade, and rock chip protection (i think its 3m on the front bumper + they do something to coat the paint so it doesn't fade over time)
- interior protection from spills on the fabric
- and interior sound protection (sounds better, and prevents ratteling)

individually they are $400 each .. i was thinking of saving myself a few dollors and just getting the paint fade/rock chip protection..

do you guys think its worth it to get the other stuff?

hahahaha wow. i can't believe they got you with that bull****. the "protection package" is a scam. they don't do anything to the car. the anti-rust is from the factory, and is covered in your anti-corrosion warranty. the rock chip protection may be legit if they actually do put 3M on the car. the interior protection is probably them spraying scotch guard on your seats, and the interior sound protection is most likely bull too. if you pay for any of that, you're an idiot. they tried to offer me that crap when i bought my EVO and tried to say that if i didn't take it, that my paint warranty would be voided. after i stopped laughing i told the guy he was full of ****, and that my paint is covered by mitsu whether i pay you more money for nothing or not. you can get it if you want, but it's a waste of money, and a big time scam.

oh, i used to sell new cars, and i know plenty of guys who used the "protection package" thing to get up to $2,000 more (on big vehicles like suburban's, etc) out of customers.