Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Coolant Temperature Sensor gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Temperature Sensor gone bad?

So my brother noticed that my 02 OZ's fans kick into high gear pretty randomly whether the AC is on or not. Sometimes after i've turned the car off and gotten out, the fans are still working for another 10-20 seconds i would say. Everything else that I can think of is fine - the car has never overheated and the needle always warms up to about the middle spot. There's definitely enough coolant - i just changed my timing and serpentine belts over the summer and flushed and replaced all the coolant. But the fans issue has been going on for years. I just dont get why they fans sometimes just go at full speed out of the blue - he mentioned it might be the coolant temp sensor and due to the miscommunication the fans are overworking themselves.

Does this sound like its the likely culprit?

thanks
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i would say fan control, relay or module...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Cranswick! Good to know what else it might be so i can do a little more research.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the modules are known to cause the fans to stay on after ignition is off, this is a tell tale sign it's on it way out, and when it does, no fans...so it's a good idea to check it out...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

That sounds just like my situation. It's been going on for a couple years. They stay on afterwards I shutdown for like 10 seconds. Where's the module located? Is that in the fuse box?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:25 PM

I have the same problem on my 04 sportback. Did you fix the problem?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Nope. After reading a bunch of posts it seems that it could be a normal thing. We've had the car in the family since 02 and its been happening for as long as I can remember. I know the fan control module sometimes craps out but to this day my fans are still working fine and the car isnt overheating. After i turn the car off, they still kick for a few seconds but they then shut off.

Did this just start happening to you? or has it been like this for a while?
Old Mar 1, 2013, 03:02 PM

I have exact the same thing. It started a few months ago on this current wagon that I'm driving.

I once owned an 04 Outlander too (besides 2 Lancers). That one had the same engine 2.4 MIVEC. When it was like 3 years old starte to do the same thing. It irritated me after a while. I passes by a dealer and I was told that the car had a recall for the radiator termostat. After they fixed the car I never had that problem ever again. Since everything was good I didn't care to ask what was the problem exactly.

Now when this started I looked around on some forums too. There is a posting on mitsubishi forum too (I don't know if that isn't you also ). Somebody said that there are recalls for this problem. I call Mits. They said that there is no recall on mine. It costs me 110 just the diagnosis. I just changed myself the termostat. For a few days seemed to shut off almost instant after turning the car off... but after that I'm back to 10-15 seconds plus the increasing and decreasing or the fan sound while I drive. I don't want to ruin the fans just for not changing a Coolant sensor or something like that. I will try to do that at some point. But for sure it's not normal.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

try the fan control module - i've read that either the desing or placement of them made them pretty much marked for death. You can get a used on on ebay from a lancer, evo, or outback i believe. I was going to replace it but in all honestly it's become normal for me so i dont notice it anymore

Mine has been doing this for many years - fans still working.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:55 PM

Ace !!! You are the best.

One of the reasons of buying another lancer was that I already know some stuff about it. Today it proved to be more helpful.

The fan(s) that doesn't stop running is on the wagon.
I started with replacing the water sensor (I replaced the termostat a few months ago). At that moment Mitsubishi F$%#$%# me a little. I am not an expert but I suppose that when you have a thread that item will use all the thread. NO. It's not the case with the water temperature sensor (WTS). It doesn't use all the thread. and the thing sticks out a little. I thought that they gave me a different one. I checked with the original one. The plastic part was longer but the metal one was the same. I checked the one on the sedan. The WTS sticks out like 3 mm. So I left the new one in. No changes with the fan. As soon as I turn the car on both fans run super fast.

At that moment I decided to try the Fan Control Module from the sedan on the wagon. YESSS.... After I switched it there was no problem.

@$@#%#$% to PepBoys guys that were looking at me like I was the last stupid person on earth. The robbed my of $60.

Of course that I had to put the controller back on the sedan and I have to order a new one. I will let you know if I will have any more trouble with it.

Thank you Ace. You are the best !!! You saved me the time and money.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

anytime, justme1. glad to be of some help!

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys I just noticed on my 03' Evo fans won't come on by temp but will come on by ac or shuting car off. Is the the fan relay or fan control module? I had cooling fan blade break off and made the fan get stuck so it wouldn't cool. Replaced with new fan and went to make sure fan would kick on by temp and it didn't. My temp gauge has ALWAYS stayed on the water lines just below half on temp gauge. Let it get just above that to see if fan would come on it didn't so drove around block cause its EFFEN cold here:-) So what's your thoughts?
Name:  null_zps4686fb0a.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  87.0 KB

Thanks Dave