Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

A/C turns off

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2013, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C turns off

GF's car, 2003 Lancer ES has an odd issue. A/C works for about 5 minutes and then turns itself off.

I've read through about a dozen similar threads here but don't see a solution. So I'll describe the symptoms and what I've checked so far:

1. When A/C is first turned on, compressor is spinning, Low side pipe is cold, the air coming out of registers is cold.

2. After about 5 minutes of driving the air coming out gets warm and stays warm. The only way to get A/C working again is to wait several hours for teh car to cool down.

3. When the air turns to warm, compressor stops. Both radiator fans still spin. Light on A/C button stays on.

4. I got under the dash and looked very carefully at the big white box, gears and cable. Gears are a bit sticky, but I'm able to move them all the way in both directions with temp button and with my hands. Heat works OK, btw and temp switches between warm and hot. So I assume that the door inside the box works properly.

5. When disconnecting pressure switch near the sight glass, the fans stop. Shorting the pressure switch with a clip makes the fan come on again, so pressure switch is working OK.

So... what have we here? A/C compressor crapping out when hot? I've read a bit about the shim that can be remove from under the clutch. I also have not yet measured R134 pressure, but assume it should be OK if A/C turns on and blows nice and cold initially.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:37 PM

One more thing that could be very important and might just solve the problem (one can hope). When A/C runs, there is no condensate/water on the ground. Not at all. Which leads me to believe that drain tube is plugged up and needs to be cleaned.

I can not see the tube and have not been able to find any good pictures.
Can plugged drain tube cause A/C to stop running?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:40 PM

Took out the airbox and looked at the drain, it's a very short 90 degree rubber elbow just to the passenger side of the steering column, right? I kind of expected it to go down lower, so maybe a piece is missing. But it wouldn't matter - it's not plugged up. Nor any water comes out of it when A/C is running.

What the...? Help!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:24 AM

I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU NILE13?? CAN ANYONE HELP US??

A/C turns off
GF's car, 2003 Lancer ES has an odd issue. A/C works for about 5 minutes and then turns itself off.

I've read through about a dozen similar threads here but don't see a solution. So I'll describe the symptoms and what I've checked so far:

1. When A/C is first turned on, compressor is spinning, Low side pipe is cold, the air coming out of registers is cold.

2. After about 5 minutes of driving the air coming out gets warm and stays warm. The only way to get A/C working again is to wait several hours for teh car to cool down.

3. When the air turns to warm, compressor stops. Both radiator fans still spin. Light on A/C button stays on.

4. I got under the dash and looked very carefully at the big white box, gears and cable. Gears are a bit sticky, but I'm able to move them all the way in both directions with temp button and with my hands. Heat works OK, btw and temp switches between warm and hot. So I assume that the door inside the box works properly.

5. When disconnecting pressure switch near the sight glass, the fans stop. Shorting the pressure switch with a clip makes the fan come on again, so pressure switch is working OK.

So... what have we here? A/C compressor crapping out when hot? I've read a bit about the shim that can be remove from under the clutch. I also have not yet measured R134 pressure, but assume it should be OK if A/C turns on and blows nice and cold initially.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your clutch gap on the AC compressor. I used a spark plug gapper for this. I just did mine like a month ago. The gap for the clutch gets to large and the heat expansion causes it to lose grip and stop working (how I understood it anyway) Putting in a smaller shim fixed this problem right up.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ng-advice.html
Posts #11 and #12 on this thread have what you're looking for.

^ This is for an EVO. Not sure if lancer is the same so No quotes here. But i'm sure its the same concept if its not the same part number.

And seriously. The 14mm nut holding the clutch spins off (have to hold the clutch still with screw driver or something). Then the clutch pulls right out nice and easy. NO NEED TO TAKE THE BELT OFF.

But if you can get in there with a spark plug gap checker, and see what the gap is, you will know if this is your problem. My gap was 1.1mm. Limits are .3mm to .5mm (.012-.020 inches). I got mine down to .6mm using the smallest shim option and my A/C works great now.

Good Luck Guys
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some what related response--- you guys should check with a dealer and see if they list an A/C thermal switch-- or temp switch, usually located on the condenser core.. it would slip between the fins ( under the dash) . This is what Nissan uses, symptoms of them going out are exactly what you describe but I dont own a lancer and dont have time to do the leg work. Just a guess.

If it was the shims as mentioned above, you could look at the compressor and while it would click to cycle, the ac clutch just wouldnt engage, but if your working at all, then that sounds like it is.