Notices

TC-SST issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I got my car back. The last diagnostics showed that the sound is SST issue.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:35 PM

Any more info?

Hello resident, if you don't mind me asking, are you able to post any further details on to exactly what was wrong with the SST? What did they do to diagnose that it was the SST? I ask as my Evo was doing the same thing. Like yours, more often in colder weather. The dealer diagnosed my issue as a timing chain issue. I too had a hard time believing it was a timing chain issue, but since I have gotten my Evo back, the issue has not returned. I am not sure if it is because the weather here is warm (summer) or if it has actually been fixed. I have a thread about what was done etc:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...d-startup.html

My worry is that it returns when the weather gets cold again. And if it does, having any information you, or anyone, can provide would be greatly appreciated!
I feel like this issue is starting to rear its head even more with other owners. Hopefully if it becomes a know issue Mitsu will pro actively do something about it.

Any info you can pass on to the rest of us would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for sharing,
Mike
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:23 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, no problem, I'm always welcome to share my experience. So, here is what i got now. Dealer made full inspection of my car, they checked the starter, timing chain, and other car units and found no problems. After that, they took the electronic stethoscope and found that ​​a sound goes directly from transmission.

Unfortunately in Ukraine mitsubishi dealer don't repair the TC-SST. They simply replaces it for new one, but the price for this is too high. ( here you can buy used EvoX under the same price as new TC-SST ) I'm waiting for reply regarding replacing it under warranty.

p.s. strange, that in Ukraine, I'm only one who has this problem. My EvoX's mileage is 26k miles only.

I will keep the community informed about the progress.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound like timing chain teeth loose.hope u figure it out and get it fixed.my doesn't do that.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by LB_Reddy
Sound like timing chain teeth loose.hope u figure it out and get it fixed.my doesn't do that.
no, it was not timing chain teeth, it was problem of SST. But there was no need to replace the gearbox, that issue can be easily solved. I will ask my service for details and will post it here.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by resident
no, it was not timing chain teeth, it was problem of SST. But there was no need to replace the gearbox, that issue can be easily solved. I will ask my service for details and will post it here.
bump! Do you have any updates regarding the fix yet? mine had got worse since the weather gets cold in my area.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:29 AM
mhd

I think its the Torque Damper spring
Old Nov 3, 2014, 05:43 AM

When you shut off your engine there is a delay from turning the key to off position and the engine shutting off. In that delay the SST will take all preselected rails into neutral and if that does not happen results in a hard start. I too have this happen to me only in the morning when its cold out, but I have reduced my chances greatly by letting the engine idle for a 10 to 20 seconds after I put my car into park then shutting off the engine.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 05:22 PM

Well, since my last post I had tried several ways to avoid the grind noise, one worked mostly on me is:
turn the key to "on" without start engine, move the shifting lever from P to D slowly by step, then move it back to P, repeat 4 times(that's what I did), turn off the key.
And then repeat all above one more time, then start the engine, so far so good.
I found if I just do the P to D to P one time, the chance was 50/50, do it twice, not grinding yet, I hope this helps someone who suffers the same problem, and maybe someone who knows the internal mechanism can think into this direction and work out a final solution for us.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by EDM_MR811
Well, since my last post I had tried several ways to avoid the grind noise, one worked mostly on me is:
turn the key to "on" without start engine, move the shifting lever from P to D slowly by step, then move it back to P, repeat 4 times(that's what I did), turn off the key.
And then repeat all above one more time, then start the engine, so far so good.
I found if I just do the P to D to P one time, the chance was 50/50, do it twice, not grinding yet, I hope this helps someone who suffers the same problem, and maybe someone who knows the internal mechanism can think into this direction and work out a final solution for us.
Too bad threads like this die very easily without solution. Have someone figured out a permanent fix?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Can resident (OP) please let us know what Mitsubishi did to fix the problem?
I'm really interested in hearing what they did with the SST. Did they replace it with a new one or fix the current one. If fixed, do you know specifically what was required.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Griffin5
Can resident (OP) please let us know what Mitsubishi did to fix the problem?
I'm really interested in hearing what they did with the SST. Did they replace it with a new one or fix the current one. If fixed, do you know specifically what was required.

Thanks in advance.
Mitsubishi didnt nothing, they offered to replace SST but the price was too high. So, I sold my EvoX and that is all..