Notices

Dealers have completely wrong info on changing and filters??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealers have completely wrong info on changing and filters??

I recently bought an mr with 40k, and I wanted to know if the trans and diff fluids had been changed. I called the dealership that serviced it on carfax records, they said you don't need to change trans or diff fluids at 30k just check. I'm reading the warranty manual from mitsubishi's website(just as much on these fourms too, 30k is well known) and it says change all of then at 30k not check. Service dept tell me I'm wrong, service mgr wont call me back. I talk to my local dealers about this, they have the same info, check. I tell them I want these specific items of 30k service done and I tell them what they are, they tell me $475 parts & labor. WTF?! I try telling them trans fluid and filter is 450 alone. He tells me you're trying to tell me what you think the price should be and I'm telling you what it is. When in reality, the filter is 182 from them and 1 gal of fluid is 147. Also told me, don't change the filter, you never change it, just the fluid.

So, they dont think you should change the fluid at 30k, and if you do, don't change the filter? Do they not realize so many transmissions are failing?
Ive seen a few other posts about this on here but

Also, anyone know what percent of people with SST are having issues? Large portion?

Last edited by SaulHudson; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:14 PM

I've had my SE for over a year now and it has 34k on it. I did the full flush at 30k through the dealer, and it cost me somewhere between $900-1k.

I haven't had any transmission problems myself, but I don't really go to hard on it. It's always been kind of jerky going at really slow speeds in first gear, but I think that's just a dual clutch thing.

Obviously you can find the horror stories on the forum, but I believe the vast majority of people don't have issues as long as you keep up on oil changes and at least do the 30k. I know some people even talk about doing it at 10-15k.

I would definitely get it all flushed though as you don't know what the previous owner did with it.

Better safe then sorry.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

DIY ..If you cant afford $450 for transmission fluid change from the dealer, then go buy a honda.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gqracer
DIY ..If you cant afford $450 for transmission fluid change from the dealer, then go buy a honda.
Yep even if the fluid was $200 and its not, you could pick up $250 in tools and save that much next time around.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Love this guy. "Go buy a Honda", he says. If you think there's really $450 worth of fluid, filters and labor going into a 30k service, I've got some muffler bearing grease and blinker fluid I'll let you have for $100.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tuxevo
Love this guy. "Go buy a Honda", he says. If you think there's really $450 worth of fluid, filters and labor going into a 30k service, I've got some muffler bearing grease and blinker fluid I'll let you have for $100.
Whats your point buddy? If the dude cant fork out $450 for transmission fluid service at the dealer, I suggest DIY to save on the labor cost ****.
Keep ur bearing grease and ***** fluids, that is all that you can afford buddy.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Whats your point buddy? If the dude cant fork out $450 for transmission fluid service at the dealer, I suggest DIY to save on the labor cost ****.
Are you a child? Are you're so foolish as to think that the exorbitant price you're being asked to pay for a very basic service is somehow justified? Why? Do you believe your inline 4 cylinder japanese sedan is so very diferent than any other inline 4 cylnder japanese sedan? Does the transmission of your MR require some amazingly expensive piece of machinary and a tech with specifically developed skills to remove and replace the fluid? I guess you must believe so or you wouldn't attempt to belittle someone who has a valid question.

It was good of you to suggest he take steps to tackle his car maintence on his own. Your assinine comment about getting honda was an unnecessary effort to insinuate he isn't capable of purchasing what ever he likes. I'm going to wrap this up, as I feel that any more time spent communicating with you is time wasted. Good luck in everything, pay whatever you want for whatever you want, but if you're going to insist on overpaying, you may want to consider taking that ***** you spoke of. It seems you like to bend over.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Yep even if the fluid was $200 and its not, you could pick up $250 in tools and save that much next time around.
First off you didn't read my post too well. I was talking about the dealer trying to charge me 475 when there is more than that in parts, and that the dealers had no clue what they were talking about. I have no problem paying the price.
I usually do DIY my cars, however I am still in Japan, my car is in the states, there is a little problem with that.

I never said there was a problem with it being too expensive, I was saying its too cheap. So please, let you yourself out of the thread if you can't read properly.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edIT
I've had my SE for over a year now and it has 34k on it. I did the full flush at 30k through the dealer, and it cost me somewhere between $900-1k.

I haven't had any transmission problems myself, but I don't really go to hard on it. It's always been kind of jerky going at really slow speeds in first gear, but I think that's just a dual clutch thing.

Obviously you can find the horror stories on the forum, but I believe the vast majority of people don't have issues as long as you keep up on oil changes and at least do the 30k. I know some people even talk about doing it at 10-15k.

I would definitely get it all flushed though as you don't know what the previous owner did with it.

Better safe then sorry.
I want to. The problem is the dealers have no clue how to do it, and there are no evo specific shops within 50 miles. The dealers think this filter I speak of is some mysterious thing inside the trans that requires dropping the trans and digging halfway to the milky way to get to it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
I want to. The problem is the dealers have no clue how to do it, and there are no evo specific shops within 50 miles. The dealers think this filter I speak of is some mysterious thing inside the trans that requires dropping the trans and digging halfway to the milky way to get to it.
I had a similar experience in central Florida. I called several dealers, including one that has somewhat of a reputation for being "evo friendly" and none of them had a clue. One girl told me she checked with a "tech" and said that there is no transmission filter. I told her that was funny because I was just staring at it under my car.

I ended up just ordering the fluid and filter online and doing it myself in about an hour. It cost me less than $500. I didn't do a full flush per se, but rather just emptied all the fluid, measured the amount, and then put that amount of new fluid in.

I still regret getting the SST living in constant fear of the thing breaking now that I have quite a bit more torque than stock.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alkor
I had a similar experience in central Florida. I called several dealers, including one that has somewhat of a reputation for being "evo friendly" and none of them had a clue. One girl told me she checked with a "tech" and said that there is no transmission filter. I told her that was funny because I was just staring at it under my car.

I ended up just ordering the fluid and filter online and doing it myself in about an hour. It cost me less than $500. I didn't do a full flush per se, but rather just emptied all the fluid, measured the amount, and then put that amount of new fluid in.

I still regret getting the SST living in constant fear of the thing breaking now that I have quite a bit more torque than stock.
Thanks for your input! I am glad I am not alone in this. I wish more would chime in, because I know they are out there. Or maybe they just don't know what needs changed?

I wish I would change it myself, but I am in Japan for awhile longer.

I don't know if I reget it yet, but I may when I find out what is inside that filter since it hasn't been changed for 40k. As of right now, I can still make money on the car since I bought it so cheap, I paid 25k out the door, carmax will pay 29k.

What mileage did you change it at?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a little piece of advice when it comes to moron Mitsu dealers, don't even waste your life going there, or calling them. Just find a good performance shop and let them handle it.

Very rarely are Mitsu dealers good, last time they didn't even tighten my UICP all the way, I would hardly trust them changing oil or trans/tc fluids.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
What mileage did you change it at?
I changed it around 20k. I was planning on waiting until 30k but after seeing that I had a significant amount of fluid on the bottom of the trans, I started to worry about a leak. Also, I saw some threads suggesting changing it as early as 5 or 10k.

After changing the fluid the leak appears to be gone. I suspect it was related to the filter casing which got replaced with the new filter.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Modern vehicle scheduled service rarely has anything to do with what the vehicle needs any more. They have more to do with Edmunds and JDPower cost of owner ship information for marketing. Do you think they could really sell that many MR's or Ralliarts if they told you should change the transmission fluid at 5k the first time at a cost of $320 just for the oil and another $138 for the filter, and another $180 for the labor? Not hardly. All they care about is if the car will make it out of warranty without breaking. Period.

The SST's 1st fluid change is it's most important. Ii IS expensive. However most of the debris etc in the transmission fluid on first change is break in and manufacturing slag (casting sand). How soon should you do this? After 1500 miles, but less than 5000. The tranmsission costs $10000. Mitsubishi voids Evo warranties at the drop of a hat. Take care of your transmission like the very expensive component it is, and your odds of having issues with it down the road will diminish greatly.

I have seen first hand Mitsubishi Dealerships install ATF-4 as the fluid in an SST, and then void the warranty on the transmission for improper service 3 months later. Do NOT have your SST equipped vehicle serviced by Mitsubishi. You have been warned.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

This man knows his business. You should all be listening to him.