Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Pikes Peak Evo, 2010 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pikes Peak Evo, 2010 Edition

With 2010 officially here, its time to dig into the Evo and get it ready for the 2010 season. Our main focus will continue to be the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, and this year its moved up to June 27th. We've just submitted our entry in the Time Attack AWD division and hope that the class attracts more entrants this time around, otherwise we may switch to Pikes Peak Open again.

Our second goal for the season is to try and capture our 3rd consecutive title in the Colorado Hill Climb Assn. series for AWD rally cars. There are a couple race records I missed out on last year, so those are high on my priority list.

Thats about it for the Evo, though if scheduling worked out, we also might consider adding another event or two, and One Lap of America is high on my 'must do at some point' list.

My last project may or may not get off the ground this year. Realizing that rallying an Open class car is not for the privateer, we've started in on a 2wd car for use in the MaxAttack! championship. Click here for pics. The idea here is lower budget sustainable rallying. I can race the Evo for an entire season in Colorado for what I've estimated it would cost to run one stage rally with proper spares/support (assuming no breakage).

For those of you new to the forum, you can find all the details about the build-up by clicking here, and upgrades for 2009 can be seen by clickinghere.

Thanks for reading!

Dave
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Nice!!!
Guys did great last year!
im sure this year will be even better!
Best of luck!!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Before I'm able to jump into prepping the car for 2010, a bit of fixing problems is in order.

As some of you might recall, I had an "oops" moment at the Land's End Hill Climb, leaving the road and running into the side of the mountain.

Doesn't look too bad here:

But once the bumper cover is removed, the damage is clear. This is the second minor crash + a trailer incident that I've had with the AMS intercooler on the car, and its still working with no leaks what so ever. Its one tough MFer!

After drilling off a bunch of spot welds, the radiator support is off.

You can see the impact really tweaked the skid plate bracing, which is welded onto the bottom of the radiator support.

To finish off our race season, I replaced the LICP, but with a bit of time on my hands, I'm anxious to design something a bit better. I've moved the ACD pump and oil cooler so the car's less likely to DNF an event in the case of a minor front end shunt, so the IC piping remains the car's Achilles heel.

Dave

Last edited by DaveK; Jan 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:34 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
is it why uk versions of the evo have their acd pump in the driver side trunk space?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
is it why uk versions of the evo have their acd pump in the driver side trunk space?
Could be. Also a heavy item, so mounting in the trunk has benefits. Its mounted where the charcoal canister is on us cars is, I'm guessing the uk version may still retain the ic water spray tank too, so there's another benefit. One thing I don't like about the uk location is that is in a fragile area as well.

My first time with a 2-way rear diff I had a brush with a bank, and prpbably would've ruined it. Now mine is safe & sound mounted behind the passenger seat. I'll try to post some pics of it in the next couple of days.

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You might consider a new IC setup. Do something that creates a little more clearance down low - looks like the AMS part is a little dented even if it isn't leaking. Also have the inlet and outlet of the IC up high - so you can route the pipes out of harms way.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
You might consider a new IC setup. Do something that creates a little more clearance down low - looks like the AMS part is a little dented even if it isn't leaking. Also have the inlet and outlet of the IC up high - so you can route the pipes out of harms way.
Yep, a new design is going to be in the works. I'll be posting up other reasons for the change with pics over the next couple of days, along with a couple ideas I've been kicking around.

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Couldn't let BPI's thread take all the fame could ya Dave lol.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Couldn't let BPI's thread take all the fame could ya Dave lol.
He's got a sick build going too. I couldn't beleive the fab work to the rear end of the car.

In truth, I've been away from this board for a bit, spending my time learing as much as I can about BMWs for the new rally project. The "cheap" entry deadline for PPIHC was December 31st, so that got me started thinking about the Evo again, and figured if I posted up, I'd be more motivated to get rolling with the project...and you guys are always here to prod me along!

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

wow man, you did awesome last year, and I hope the same for this year. I will be watching
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:03 PM
bpi
Evolving Member

I'll be keeping my eye on the improvements you make for 2010
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

On to the projects...or at least the reasoning behind the projects.

PPIHC puts some uinque stresses on the engine. Steep grades, low air density, and big boost makes thing get hot. To try and keep the radiator from absorbing heat from the headers, I installed some exhaust specific heat shielding. It worked great, but the material just doesn't hold up. If you look closely you can see where this stuff has been burned. I only had the heat shield on the car for PPIHC, Lands End Hillclimb, CORE Hillclimb, and our failed attempt at being the "0" car at Rally Colorado.

So, something more permanent is in order. After reading up on header coatings, I settled on Swain Tech products. I sent the exhaust components out in early December and just got them back last week. Coatings look beautiful and its a nice thick coating, so I'm hopeful.

Dave
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

wow looking awesome you and AMS together gonna kill it!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we're going to try to make it out this year as a Spectator, I'll be sure to cheer extra hard for you!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
I think we're going to try to make it out this year as a Spectator, I'll be sure to cheer extra hard for you!
Sounds great, and be sure to stop by and say hi!

If you're able to make it out for more than just race day on Sunday, practice days are fun to watch as you'll get to see the cars in your section run the road 3-5 times each.

If you're not able to pull that off, there's Fan Fest on Friday night in downtown Colorado Springs. Its a blast...30,000+ people milling around and checking out the race cars.

Dave

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak Evo, 2010 Edition