Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Coilover questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
im surprised FA didnt recommend 510 over 500 considering you're only doing autox
Old Aug 3, 2016, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would seriously look into the MCS option as well. You could go with singles for $2,750, or doubles with $3,450. External canister doubles would be additional $1,450, if you want to go to the greater goods (triples there as well).

Quality is extremely good and they work very well! Bunch of autoX cars have great success with them!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So, in the next few months I am looking to do a serious coilover upgrade on my car. I currently have stance supersports with 9k/11k springs. I found the limits of these and am ready for something that rides better, and works better. My initial thoughts were Ohlins rt's with 10k/12k springs.

I emailed CBRD, and Chad rec's 10k/10k springs. Mueller won't tell me what springs he uses until I'm ready to purchase and sign a non-disclosure agreement (really?). And Works hasn't answered the 3 emails I sent them.

I was pretty set on the ohlins, but a used set of KW V3's popped up on FB from someone I'm friends with. They have about 20k miles, and 10k/12k swift springs. He does not know if they were revalved as they came with car when he bought it. He's asking 1500obo, and I have already worked out a lower price shipped, and they come with Tien camber plates.

What would you guys do? Save your pennies a bit longer for ohlins, or snag the used V3's for a good deal?
From my experience, KW's will slow you down. The twin tube design isn't as good for racing. You should consider talking with Dave @ Stance. You can have the current setup re-valved or you can always go with 2/3-ways, if you’re looking to go that direction.
I’m currently running 12k/13K
Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if you're looking for custom valved Ohlins, PM me.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboosted
From my experience, KW's will slow you down. The twin tube design isn't as good for racing. You should consider talking with Dave @ Stance. You can have the current setup re-valved or you can always go with 2/3-ways, if you’re looking to go that direction.
I’m currently running 12k/13K
I emailed stance, the fronts can't be revalved, they're sealed. Regardless, some other issues (mainly engine cooling) have arisen with the car and my budget has ben diverted to those things.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:30 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
My only issue with V3s is that nobody revalves. Had mine been valved for the spring rates I wanted, I would have learned to tune two-ways and kept them. Nice street coilover, though.
Clubsports have support, however.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
MCS 1 ways, with vorshlag camber plates is the best mod I have done to my evo by far. Plus MCS customer support is 2nd to none.
http://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/
http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=72_73_193
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanted EVO IX
I found this thread and am currently in the same situation. I'm hesitant to buy Ohlins R/T as they are often a do all suspension and I would be looking for an Autox setup. I'm sure some here use their product but I'm leaning toward FA. I did make a call to them over a week ago and simply told them I use my EVO for Autox only. The rep suggested a 500 series with 10k F/ 12k R for my use. Now this with pillow bearing upgrade and FA springs which I prefer. Has there been any progress on set ups or suggestions with coilovers?

Op thanks for posting this thread been digging into this topic and trying to get as much info as possible.
A lot of us use the Ohlins for AutoX use. The features that make them good for street use (reliability!) aren't downsides for AutoX use, so there's nothing to worry about there. Talk to Performance Shock about having them revalved for you right out of the gate.

The only real downside to the Ohlins is that they don't have independent compression and rebound adjustments. If you're just getting started with coilovers and suspension adjustments, that may not be much of a minus though.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:17 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Construct
A lot of us use the Ohlins for AutoX use. The features that make them good for street use (reliability!) aren't downsides for AutoX use, so there's nothing to worry about there. Talk to Performance Shock about having them revalved for you right out of the gate.

The only real downside to the Ohlins is that they don't have independent compression and rebound adjustments. If you're just getting started with coilovers and suspension adjustments, that may not be much of a minus though.
Good point. I went with single-adjustables because I feel comfortable making those adjustments.

FWIW Robi told me to find a coilover that was adjustable for rebound only so that compression stays the same. I guess if a single adjusts both, you end up chasing your tail quite a bit. Makes sense to me.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
That was a main reason why I didn't go with them! There was an option to re-valve those so that adjuster adjust only rebound, but it still didn't feel right at that time...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
MCS 1 ways only adjust rebound.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 02:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by nemsin
MCS 1 ways only adjust rebound.
I can confirm AST single-adjustables do too.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
First off thanks for the input and I'm so excited to see your opinions.

I should advise my goal here is to build a budget Autox EVO IX RS and by default the car I purchased is set up for ASP or so I'm told. Hence my Fortune Auto choice...

My current setup is Tune and no clue what tune I have but the car is smooth and fast with great power. I have test pipe, cat back exhaust, intake, 17x9.5 RPF1 with 245-40/17 Bridegstone RE71R and Stock KYB with Hotchkis lowering springs. I did do a custom alignment and got 1.8 F 1.5 R 0 toe and the car is stupid competitive. I also have crap rotors with the newest Hawk pads 5.0, Rear diff stacked and I tried an English tuned ACD. I absolutely was loving the setup. I feel I could gain with better alignment and coilovers.
I honestly don't want to blow $3k + on suspension as I know driver is the best mod.

Thoughts or inputs ?

Last edited by Wanted EVO IX; Aug 3, 2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 06:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Hence my Fortune Auto choice...
Good choice if you go that route. Maybe a set of 510's w/Swift springs & the upper bearing option

Some of the guys are all hot on the new Stance XR3's which are worth looking into. Theres an open thread in the column you should read
Old Aug 3, 2016, 07:58 PM
kaj

17x9.5 RPF1 with 245-40/17 Bridegstone RE71R
I run 255s on my 9.5" RPF and they are too stretched for me. I was disappointed they didn't fit as well as the R-S3. How in heck did you fit a 245 on there?? I can't get my tires to roll over to the markers without dropping serious tire pressure, which gives me increased wear on the outsides of the tires. Not happy.
Since they don't make a 265, I'm looking to trade for a 9" wheel.
Other than that, your setup sounds a lot like mine, though I WISH I had an ACD tune. Mine is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, so I can imagine what your is like.

Quick Reply: Coilover questions