Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 nasa st/tt/pt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
didn't know I needed new lugs for aftermarket wheels - the "acorn" kind?
most aftermarket wheels use conical style lug nuts. the first one in the picture

Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
most aftermarket wheels use conical style lug nuts. the first one in the picture

gotcha... i'll take a look at the wheel seat when they get here.. first time running aftermarket wheels on the evo.. I've got enkeis for the mini but they just fit like standard, with normal lug bolts so I didn't know it'd be different for the evo
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
what about that is wrong? genuinely asking, I have no idea. bolt on spacers as opposed to what?
gotcha... i'll take a look at the wheel seat when they get here.. first time running aftermarket wheels on the evo.. I've got enkeis for the mini but they just fit like standard, with normal lug bolts so I didn't know it'd be different for the evo
Actually, the MINI uses spherical seat from the factory, so even on that car, you should be using aftermarket lug bolts that have a conical seat.

These lug nut will work perfect with the new wheels. https://www.amazon.com/Muteki-32906B...ds=muteki+sr48
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^yeah what he said. I have the shorter version of those that I picked up years ago but Ill probably get the taller ones when I replace mine, granted with my spacer the extended studs dont even stick out past the nut. Someone mentioned some chromoly lug nuts recently that might be worth looking into; I dont recall them being that much more expensive then the typical steel ones. And if they have a neochrome option those are the ones to get.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

oh man, thanks for the clarification, didn't even know there were so many different types of seats/that it really mattered. i'll check the tc105ns when I get them, but yea I assume i'll have to get another set of lugs.

while I realize lug nuts are not an area you want to cheap out on, will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2A65CUIZM9PM8

I think I'd prefer a closed-end one in general. man, i'll miss running OEM wheels.

I can see how, with a conical lug nut though, these should self-center as they tighten. it may be annoying to get them on straight, but I don't see how a centering wheel would matter as far as actually centering the wheel with this type of nut. I also imagine you'll want to tighten these fully with the car in the air, correct me if I'm wrong on that bit

Last edited by kyoo; Feb 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

i always two stage torque while the wheel is jacked up.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

baller use these lugs. ive been using this same set lug nuts on my cars for 9 years. lol

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...x1-50-lug-nuts
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

lol! I wish! so do you guys even really drive around on oem wheels anymore, or just trailer/always run aftermarket wheels for regularly driving too
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:37 PM
EvoM Guru

oh man, thanks for the clarification, didn't even know there were so many different types of seats/that it really mattered. i'll check the tc105ns when I get them, but yea I assume i'll have to get another set of lugs.

while I realize lug nuts are not an area you want to cheap out on, will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2A65CUIZM9PM8

I think I'd prefer a closed-end one in general. man, i'll miss running OEM wheels.

I can see how, with a conical lug nut though, these should self-center as they tighten. it may be annoying to get them on straight, but I don't see how a centering wheel would matter as far as actually centering the wheel with this type of nut. I also imagine you'll want to tighten these fully with the car in the air, correct me if I'm wrong on that bit

If you're going to get a tuner splined lug, I would go with gorilla. They are known high quality. I have no experience with those.

If you don't have a hub ring, its best to tighten the lugs before lowering the car.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you're going to get a tuner splined lug, I would go with gorilla. They are known high quality. I have no experience with those.

If you don't have a hub ring, its best to tighten the lugs before lowering the car.
thanks - decided to go with the mutekis you recommended. is it true that for hubcentric wheels, the weight of the car is on the center bore/hub itself, while for lugcentric it's just purely on the lugs? I imagine the shear forces aren't an issue as we're all racing on them. centering rings are obviously purely for centering since some are made of plastic but really does seem unnecessary with conical lugs.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

thanks - decided to go with the mutekis you recommended. is it true that for hubcentric wheels, the weight of the car is on the center bore/hub itself, while for lugcentric it's just purely on the lugs? I imagine the shear forces aren't an issue as we're all racing on them. centering rings are obviously purely for centering since some are made of plastic but really does seem unnecessary with conical lugs.
Absolutely untrue. The centering ring is only there to center the wheel while you torque the lug nuts. Once lug nuts are torqued, the clamping force they generate creates an immense amount of friction between the wheel and hub mounting surfaces. This friction is what keeps the wheel in place, regardless of whether or not you have a hub centering ring.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Absolutely untrue. The centering ring is only there to center the wheel while you torque the lug nuts. Once lug nuts are torqued, the clamping force they generate creates an immense amount of friction between the wheel and hub mounting surfaces. This friction is what keeps the wheel in place, regardless of whether or not you have a hub centering ring.
that's what I figured, wouldn't make sense otherwise really. do OEM wheels that have bores that match the hubs bear no force/weight on them then?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
lol! I wish! so do you guys even really drive around on oem wheels anymore, or just trailer/always run aftermarket wheels for regularly driving too
Personally my OEM wheels have snows on them so yes mine are still used. I have a few sets of lug nuts so I just use them accordingly based on which wheels Im mounting.

It sounds like you already ordered lugs and if so I hope you got the open ended ones. I'd do ARPs on the car all around and then at that point you need open ended anyway so just get them now to future proof things.

I've never bothered with centering rings on any of my aftermarket wheels although I will admit that my spacers that I use for my 18's do have centering rings built into them. Im not the best at explaining this but its my understanding that the weight and the forces are supported by the hub. The studs job is to clamp the wheel to the hub and then the friction between the surfaces is what allows the hub to support the load.

Whoops guess I was too late to respond!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
baller use these lugs. ive been using this same set lug nuts on my cars for 9 years. lol

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...x1-50-lug-nuts
I use these. I have a couple sets now. The heads will eventually stop spinning anyway.

Would recommend the Blox chromoly as they are the same material as the Project Kics
Old Feb 2, 2017, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I also likely won't be in TT, but I hope to get out and do some HPDE this year with the intention of learning and practicing to get me into TT later. Looking at doing the March event at Willow Springs, just have some stuff to finish up before the car is ready.

At the very least I'll do new rear wheel bearings, new front pads, and tone down my tune since it's probably overkill to start on. If I have enough time I might install a Wavetrac diff and maybe some other things.

Quick Reply: 2017 nasa st/tt/pt