Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 nasa st/tt/pt

Old Jan 28, 2017, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
2017 nasa st/tt/pt

Well we can't let those SCCAye guys take all the thunder lol. What's going on this off-season and pretty much on-season for some of us doing ice-races and and southern events?

So far for me:

Rebuild block CB spec 10.5.1 - inbound
Rebuild Trans and Tcase TRE spec - no invoice yet
Tune to ST3
Zip tie everything back together and go ***** out.

Wait on:
Dallas to come to his senses and realize parking lots aren't all there is
Sponsor announcements

Development:
Trans temp without cooler plate, with cooler plate, and with cooler plate and external cooler. Basically there isn't a need to do straight cut 4th gears if you overcome the fluid issue.

First real event:
Race for the PI - Nasa SE - March 18/19

Then:
Nasa FL - Sebring - April 29-30
Nasa SE - RA - June 17-18
Nasa NATIONALS - Sebring Oct 19-22

Currently:
Drinking Rum aged Innis & Gun and....borrowing...fox sports to watch Daytona 24hr
Testing new 802.11 solutions for those that have coverage issues specifically in bunker like garages.

I'm also interested in redoing my splitter in carbon if someone wants to pick up my alumalite template

Last edited by Balrok; Jan 28, 2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
well as of right now...

- got 90% done with a new "race exhaust" on the evo (just a straight piped rear section), so i can build a diffuser finally. have a laundry list of stuff to do to the evo, as im registered for gridlife at mid-ohio. a lot of it is maintenance that i have kind of neglected, but also pulling out every little trick i can think of to have as dialed in a car as i can

- my bigger goal however is doing comp school in may. I bought a Honda challenge/STL car over the summer. needs the floor pan welded, shorter final drive, intake manifold, tun and some other small tweaks and then should be good to go racing.

i also bought a 24 foot enclosed trailer which needs brakes, and some clean up/painting. remains to be seen if the evo runs any other events but gridlife.

i think my first planned event is in 8 weeks...holy crap
Old Jan 29, 2017, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Whats your plans for external trans cooler. So far my set up has been pretty solid for the 6 years Ive run it
Old Jan 29, 2017, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kidloco51
Whats your plans for external trans cooler. So far my set up has been pretty solid for the 6 years Ive run it
Not sure yet. I haven't seen the adapter up close yet to determine size/angle/etc but it'll happen along side replacing both P/S and oil coolers when I do those. Will have to get baselines first of course.

Ya my first event is what 7 weeks away and there's nothing in the engine bay lol.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 722 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
Dallas to come to his senses and realize parking lots aren't all there is
HAHAHAHA

I only care about making the Evo better and what the wife lets me spend time doing (Trust me, shes generous..). T/A may happen eventually but thatll depend on local site development.

I am getting more interested in the track guys answer to Aero though. Going beyond splitter/wing, what are the gains to be had?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i put the put the stock bilstein back on and took some aero off do to some ice racing. then plan to build a new larger quick release front splitter and keep doing TT3 until someone takes the car off my hands. haven't really tried to sell until ice racing season is over. haven't even looked to see if there are any changes to TT3 rules this year.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
HAHAHAHA

I only care about making the Evo better and what the wife lets me spend time doing (Trust me, shes generous..). T/A may happen eventually but thatll depend on local site development.

I am getting more interested in the track guys answer to Aero though. Going beyond splitter/wing, what are the gains to be had?
There's several looong threads on that. Take a look at the WTAC ones too.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If you have a Facebook account I highly recommend Time Attack Builders (page) for any aero info.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Trans and Tcase getting work done...almost twice as much as a motor build . But he's going to add a 1/8 NPT for the sensors so between all setups the reading point will be consistent.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
i'll be doing more and more HPDEs this year - obviously it's not TT, I'm not even sure where all my bits throw me into (I think TTA), but looking forward to getting more on track time. Was severely cut short in the couple I did last year due to improper brake setup. Going to try ST43s in the fronts for the minor HPDE work I'll be doing, hopefully that is enough for my 320hp.

With all that sorted out this year, looking forward to getting back out there!
Old Feb 1, 2017, 01:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm still trying to break into NASA events lol. Was hoping to get into HPDE on a regular basis this season.

As far as work I'm a few bolts from motor being pulled to finish up the planned maint work and install some bits.

But... I had a sewer related issue for my house and the $10K bill has set me back... Maybe another year...

Old Feb 1, 2017, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

hate to bring this convo in here as well but.. I imagine most of you guys are running aftermarket wheels that have a 73mm center bore -

do you guys run centering rings? plastic? aluminum? I imagine if you run plastic they can melt depending on braking temps etc.

Anyone ever consider running something like this

http://www.eldamar.net/brz/image/TC1...ering-caps.jpg

That has the cap & ring built in one?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 01:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Doing hopefully 2-3 HPDE's this year. First one will be 4/1-4/2 with Team Topak at Chuckwalla. Car got Ohlins RT's over the winter. I'm having a fabricator friend build offset trailing arms for wheel clearance. Chad McCurdy is building me a wet sump baffled oil pan, Setrab engine oil cooler going in, and oil pressure/temp and water temp sensors.

After the April track day, car will likely get a 4pt roll bar, and a drivers seat.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
hate to bring this convo in here as well but.. I imagine most of you guys are running aftermarket wheels that have a 73mm center bore -

do you guys run centering rings? plastic? aluminum? I imagine if you run plastic they can melt depending on braking temps etc.

Anyone ever consider running something like this

http://www.eldamar.net/brz/image/TC1...ering-caps.jpg

That has the cap & ring built in one?
most guys run RPF1 wheels which requires 20mm spacers anyways. i have JMFab spacers with built in hub ring. but you dont need them. they just help to center the wheel when you put the lug nuts on. but once you torque the lugs, that will center the wheel.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
most guys run RPF1 wheels which requires 20mm spacers anyways. i have JMFab spacers with built in hub ring. but you dont need them. they just help to center the wheel when you put the lug nuts on. but once you torque the lugs, that will center the wheel.
how does torque the lugs center the wheel? is it related to our lugs being mag style in any way?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 nasa st/tt/pt