Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC

Hi,

I think I'm hosed. Car has flashed ECU and mods listed below, and all OBDII tests show ready. Car had been in the body shop for ~4 months, long story....

Anyway, went to get it inspected, and it passed safety, but failed emissions. However, I don't see what is wrong on the results page:

Test Results

OBD Tampering Check: Pass
OBD Key-On Bulb Check: N/A
OBD Engine Running Bulb Check: N/A
OBD Scan Tool Check Results: N/A
OBD Connector Result: Pass
OBD Communication Results: Pass
OBD RPM Check: Pass
Pin 16 Volts Check: 15.0
OBD MIL Status Result: Pass
OBD Readiness Monitor Result: Pass
OBD Test QA Check: N/A

Monitor Results

Catalyst Monitor: Ready
Catalyst Heater Monitor: Ready
Evaporative Systems Monitor: Ready
Secondary Air System Monitor: Ready
A/C System Monitor: Ready
O2 Sensor Monitor: Ready
O2 Sensor Heater Monitor: Ready
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Monitor: Ready

The failure indicates my vehicle is being referred to a Motorist Assistance Center for Specialized Testing (Refer MAC). "Your vehicle cannot return to a state-licensed inpsection station for your re-test until you have a visited a MAC."

I suppose this means I have to reinstall the EGR and other stuff pulled off when my new IM was installed? Was the fact that everything showed as "Ready" even if the car doesn't have it what triggered the referral?

I haven't driven the car for several months, and I'm almost ready to get rid of it if this is going to be a total PITA to get addressed....

Any thoughts, solutions, suggestions etc. would be appreciated, but other than reverting to stock, I'm not sure what I can do?

FB
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Some info from the MA website about the "refer MAC":

Massachusetts has established a network of Motorist Assistance Centers (MACs) to help vehicle owners and their repair technicians diagnose emissions problems with vehicles that fail their initial inspections. MACs are conveniently located across Massachusetts.

Your vehicle may be referred to a MAC if:

The emissions test analyzer identified something unusual in your inspection that should be verified before you spend money on repairs;
Your vehicle is having repeated problems with readiness that indicate you may need additional assistance;
Your vehicle has been selected for a program evaluation inspection; or
You have a specialty vehicle, such as a kit car.

If your vehicle has been referred to a MAC, it will need to be evaluated there before you can return it to an inspection station to complete the inspection process. If you want to apply for an Economic Hardship Failure Extension or a Waiver of Emission Standards, your vehicle will need to be evaluated at a MAC to confirm that it meets the requirements. Call the Motorist Hotline at 1-866-941-6277 for more information or to make an appointment at a MAC that is convenient for you.

Motorist Assistance Center Locations and Map

Beverly Bourne Braintree
Fall River Fitchburg Framingham
Hyde Park Medford Pittsfield
Shrewsbury Tewksbury West Springfield (Closed until further notice)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird. Worst case that Mil spec cat might need to be upped to a 300 cell? This isn't Cali, the car should be legal shouldn't it?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is an entire thread in the ECUFlash forum on here... or if you sign into NewEngDSM.org there is a ton of info on this topic there. It's become a pretty big problem happening to alot of people in MA, so there is alot of discussion on this and possible solutions being tested. MA has pretty much 100% adopted CA emissions laws.

Last edited by EvoooB; Sep 26, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That could definitely be a flag. Why would things be set to ready the car doesn't even have? I have a bunch off things that the car doesn't have turned off or not read, which ever it is. That's asking for trouble. This is something new going on up there...follow the other topics. Vendors are also discussing it.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, will check those other threads. Didn't find much with initial searching.

GLTA! In MA at least...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

you could try calling dynotech, i believe they were the ones who posted the thread in ecuflash forum.. i think it may be due to all of the readiness monitors set to ready. there is a separate thread in the ecuflash forum somewhere on how to make it so only the correct ones say ready.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You need the EGR system and EVAP enabled 100%. Make sure all periphery bits for EGR and EVAP are set like OEM. The 'forced pass' OBD patch will not do anything and should be set back to stock. They actually sit there and wait for every test to run through and pass their specific tests. Also make sure all of the OBD Forced Pass monitors are set back to stock. For some reason, Phenen felt the need to disable all of this stuff in hisTephraMod v7' pre-patched versions. Most people probably didn't even catch that he disabled it and probably wonder why their fuel trims changed and the car got terrible gas mileage all of a sudden.

I also set the ECU ID to the stock ROM ID number (minus the V7 modified numbers like 07 or 17). This may not be necessary but I didn't want the customer to make another trip.

This car passed Mass MAC inspection, as it should have since all emissions items were fully functional again. There is no need to remove the EGR or EVAP anyhow.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Sep 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh, BTW, when you fail the emissions section and get referred to a MAC station, your inspection results show that everything passed. Probably so you don't mess with anything so they can catch people that are messing with stuff.

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, you cannot use the 9653 rom ID because it fails since they know its a Euro ROM and not an approved USDM ROM ID.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

These are the factory settings for a 94170015 ROM. If you get a CEL, you will need to fix the issue prior to attempting to go to the MAC station. You can disable the notoriously bad P0300 periphery bits though.

Again, I am not condoning any illegal activity here. I am merely showing you how to put it back to stock settings so everything is fully functional.

Attached Thumbnails MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC-mac1.jpg   MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC-mac2.jpg   MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC-mac3.jpg  

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Sep 26, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by berkel
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Glad to help, good luck!

-Jamie
(aka Jack_of_Trades)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for dynotech really coming through for a member. Nice job guys
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

This will be happening to mostly every Evo owner in Ma, it has already happened to 3 others I know...probably a stupid question, but if one had the stock map saved on their computer from before anything got tuned from there own car, could one plug that back in for the inspection? (not saying me, just trying to help out others)

Quick Reply: MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC