Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ezz-e
I have a evo 9 and i got hit with mac what do i need to do to rom id ect to get it to pass MAC?
The same stuff I already pointed out in this thread basically. You probably have a 88590015 rom which is totally passable since it's a USDM rom anyways. Just be sure all EGR and EVAP systems and tests are enabled and the monitors are set correctly.

Originally Posted by evovette
Jamie my appologies. I just pulled my ROM as I have not messed with the car in a very long time. It is a USDM rom that I passed with. So the euro rom file as well as having passed tests that should be unavailable (ex: smog pump) could be the trigger for these failures. Sorry if I messed anyone up.
-Nick
No worries, thanks for catching that and mentioning it though

-Jamie
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really good info here... i just passed in June and my rom is from MR Turco. for mods i'm running intake, licp, mbc, tune, dp, hfc and cb.

i'll keep this in mind when i come around next year...
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have the 8859175 , it says its tdm under rom info
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
So the first thing everyone is gonna want to do is set the readiness monitors to factory specs like the image below. If you fail with these 1's and 0's set properly, you know what you need to do to comply. Im still confused why the people who made the pre-patched V7 roms felt the need to set everyone to 1's anyway.

-Jamie

evap is set to zero? is that correct?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah, these are OEM stock settings.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

People keep PM'ing me saying we shouldn't be in this thread because we are a business.

Let me make this clear:

WE ARE NOT CONDONING ANY ILLEGAL EMISSIONS TAMPERING WHAT-SO-EVER!

We are just helping members that may have downloaded pre-patched rom files that were preset with incorrect settings for the emissions systems to function properly. If anything, this shows that we, as a company, are trying to RIGHT these wrongs so every Evo is adhering to federal laws.

Let this be documented right now.

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ezz-e
I have the 8859175 , it says its tdm under rom info
88590015 should also be an approved USDM rom.

http://evoecu.logic.net/wiki/Downloads

-Jamie
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
today was my 5th time failing.. guy keeps crying about my idle... fuel trim.. etccc.. and my readiness... i have a stock map loaded into my car.. with the p0300 off and my scaled inectors.. everything else stock.. still failed me..
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

People keep PM'ing me saying we shouldn't be in this thread because we are a business.

Let me make this clear:

WE ARE NOT CONDONING ANY ILLEGAL EMISSIONS TAMPERING WHAT-SO-EVER!

We are just helping members that may have downloaded pre-patched rom files that were preset with incorrect settings for the emissions systems to function properly. If anything, this shows that we, as a company, are trying to RIGHT these wrongs so every Evo is adhering to federal laws.

Let this be documented right now.

Thanks
perfectly said
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DREVO978
today was my 5th time failing.. guy keeps crying about my idle... fuel trim.. etccc.. and my readiness... i have a stock map loaded into my car.. with the p0300 off and my scaled inectors.. everything else stock.. still failed me..
5th time? WTF does he want you to do at this point? Why is he giving you such a hard time?

I would ask him why he's checking fuel trims? Fuel trims are a +/- percentage and are never the same, even on a stock car. Where's it in the law book he can fail you on fuel trims?

What is he saying about your idle, that it's to rough?

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Oct 3, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Any 03-04 evo should pass with the 94170015 rom since that was a factory reflash to attempt to remedy a few issues, including the P0300 CEL that they were tripping all over the place. This was reflashed on 03's and 04's and possibly even some '05's but I'm not certain. Aftermarket clutches can still trip this code and it CAN be disabled and still pass MAC inspection, especially since it has nothing to do with emissions.

Not sure if its 100% necessary but I changed the ECU internal ID from 94171715 to the stock 94170015 in case they inspection scanner reads that rom ID code and see's it as a modified ROM ID. This may not be necessary though.

We have already passed MAC with a speed density 94170015 on an '04 evo.

The owner of the vehicle had a full 3" exhaust and speed density intake with cone filter with a stock exhaust manifold and FP Red so they can be lenient on certain modifications as long as the emissions and saftey items are all still legit.

During the MAC inspection, they do look closely into things, especially a catalytic converter. It doesn't matter whether they look at your EVAP and EGR components because the detailed system checks they perform will let them know that it is all actually installed and functioning.

When the vehicle owner first brought his evo for MAC inspection, it was set to Force pass all OBD monitors (the proper monitors were set like factory too) and it still failed with the EGR system and EGR Test disabled so just setting the forced pass items to all pass isn't gonna sneak you past this inspection anymore.

I have removed stock intake manifolds that have utilized their EGR system for over 8 years and the exhaust buildup in the intake manifold wasn't even worth an ounce of concern. Yes, its black colored but its not holding back any power or performance. You will most likely lose about 4-8MPG with the EGR system removed and disabled so if its a daily driver, you really want to keep it.

-Jamie
actually.. the guy i went to searched for the egr valve.. he was all in the motor lmao.. question my inj, my gt35, my manifold, my cams.. but his main concern is my ecu... lol
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DREVO978
How are your fuel trims?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

How are your fuel trims?
their not so great.. i can email u a logged one so u can see.. at idle it reads 12.5.. ive tried different scalings and nothing..
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

my friend just got randomly selected for the inspection the other day,, he just bought an srt-4 last week and went for his sticker and got locked out and sent there... so carefull guys... be ready for the least expected
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by binky
5th time? WTF does he want you to do at this point? Why is he giving you such a hard time?

I would ask him why he's checking fuel trims? Fuel trims are a +/- percentage and are never the same, even on a stock car. Where's it in the law book he can fail you on fuel trims?

What is he saying about your idle, that it's to rough?

-Bink
He says its to lumpy cause the cams.. But now he is just all over my ecu.. Firstt is fuel trim.. And also cried about my flashing oil light that I just had to get fixed...

Quick Reply: MA Inspection FAIL - refer MAC