Notices
02-03 Lancer Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

2003 Lancer OZ (First Thread!)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lancer OZ (First Thread!)

Hello!

Thought I'd introduce myself and my car. I'm a beginner car enthusiast just getting into the auto industry. I live in Canada (sorry, eh?), I work as a parts advisor at a Volvo dealership and I drive a 2003 Lancer OZ.

Now to the car.

The car is in good shape other than a couple scratches on the bumpers and a small oil leak (I believe it's coming from the cam seal, or something under the timing cover). The previous owner put in a K&N Typhoon intake, replaced all the factory speakers with Alpines (don't know the specs), and put in an aftermarket Kenwood deck.

Since purchasing I've got it caught up on it's maintenance, purchased but have not yet installed two 10" enclosed subs and an Alpine amp, and got new summer and winter rubber. The first thing I'm doing this spring is front suspension as I'm getting some clunks from the front end.

I only have the picture I took when I purchased it, but I'm going to take some more when I clean it up again this week.

Don't go to hard on me!

Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I have some Evo 8 depo tailights if your interested I sold my lancer and I want to get rid of them
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:14 AM

How much are you looking at selling them for? I am from Canada so if it isn't a scream of a deal it would probably cost a lot after shipping and exchange rate lol

Got any pics of them anyway?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Good start, how many miles on it & what are your future plans?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:02 AM

I'm in Canada so its KM its at 164k (about 101k miles). I plan to do very little in terms of performance upgrades as it's my daily driver. Here's my list so far:

Mechanical
- Rebuild top half of engine to fix a small oil leak (maybe paint the valve cover).
- Replace suspension components with stock parts (for now to relieve a clunk).
- Eventually replace ^ with Tein Coilovers.

Aesthetics
- Fix multiple scratches on rear bumper/hood, and repair some surface rust starting on the driver rear fender.
- ^ Actually if you look closely in the pic, you can see the spec of surface rust just in front of the tire.
- Purple Emblems and decals (OZ Racing as well as a "TowelWEB" Decal (home business))
- Purple wheels - plasti-dip?
- Purple accented interior (Dash Panel, Gear Shift Surround, Window Switchpack surround, etc.)
- Purple Backlighting? (If I could that would be sweet)

That's all I can really think of for now. If you can't tell by my plans, it's not going to be a race car by any means. Just something to get me from A-B, advertise my business a bit, and hopefully look cool while I do it.

Last edited by KingTowel; Mar 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:37 AM

Question

Sweet ride my man. I wish my lancer had standard trans and was an oz. Cant wait to see the progress. Keep posting.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KingTowel
I'm in Canada so its KM its at 164k (about 101k miles). I plan to do very little in terms of performance upgrades as it's my daily driver. Here's my list so far:

Mechanical
- Rebuild top half of engine to fix a small oil leak (maybe paint the valve cover).
- Replace suspension components with stock parts (for now to relieve a clunk).
- Eventually replace ^ with Tein Coilovers.

Aesthetics
- Fix multiple scratches on rear bumper/hood, and repair some surface rust starting on the driver rear fender.
- ^ Actually if you look closely in the pic, you can see the spec of surface rust just in front of the tire.
- Purple Emblems and decals (OZ Racing as well as a "TowelWEB" Decal (home business))
- Purple wheels - plasti-dip?
- Purple accented interior (Dash Panel, Gear Shift Surround, Window Switchpack surround, etc.)
- Purple Backlighting? (If I could that would be sweet)

That's all I can really think of for now. If you can't tell by my plans, it's not going to be a race car by any means. Just something to get me from A-B, advertise my business a bit, and hopefully look cool while I do it.
I'm with you man, I drive my car daily also. It's all good. List looks good though. Looking forward to your updates.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:21 AM

Update:

Took some pictures of my car but they came out grainy as eff. So you're going to have to wait a little longer for some good shots.

However I found myself a little surprise!

I ended up taking off my timing cover to confirm that it is in fact my cam seal leaking (which it is). While I was cleaning in and around the engine bay I decided to take a look at my spark plugs and found this:

So this weekend I get to pull the valve cover off and replace them tube seals, and try to get to the cam seal as well. It's a good thing I'm right around Tbelt mileage! This will officially be the first time I open up an engine. So wish me luck!

'till next time and I promise more pictures!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Damn man, sorry to see that. Will it be an easy fix?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:57 AM

Yeah actually, my hunch on the oil leak was either cam seal or head gasket and I'm very relieved its only the cam seal. The spark plug seals are on the way there anyway so that's no biggie either.

I've done a lot of research on valve cover removal and cam seal replacement so I'm pretty confident and I won't be alone. Excited to get my hands dirty for the first time with this thing this weekend!

Update:

Did the cam seal and spark plug seals this weekend, and cleaned up the valve cover. It fired up nice (first engine job, woo!). Now to drive it for a week and re-evaluate. Hopefully my oil will cease to **** out of my engine. LOL

Totally forgot to get a timing belt, and realized I didn't really want to **** with the tensioner anyway. I'm right at timing belt mileage though, so I think I may just get a tech to do it. Unless you guys think it's relatively easy?

Last edited by KingTowel; May 4, 2015 at 08:24 AM.