Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

The 4G18 to 4G69 Engine Swap Progress Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 4G18 to 4G69 Engine Swap Progress Thread!

I know many people have said they were going to do an engine swap, but never did... but I am actually doing one right now, which started 6 months ago with the studying of the lancer shop manuals and gathering of all the required parts.

At the present stage we now have all the parts needed to fit it, we have the engine itself and the car is booked in in June to have the swap performed.

Why is this in the Lancer Ralliart forums?

1). My car is Lancer Sport (Ralliart) from the UK - its just it came with a 1.6 engine and all the other ralliart goodies. The newer ones come with a 2.0 DOHC 4G63.
2). By the end of this project my car will be a Lancer Ralliart with a 4G69 engine in!

I am going to update you over the next month or two with photos showing the progress. To begin with today, here are the photos of our 4G69, 2005 with 6000 miles on it in perfect condition.

Mounts and MAF Sensor, intake tubing etc...

Wiring Harness & Battery Harness and Throttle By Wire Sensor

Im waiting on delivery of the ancilliary units of the engine; power steering, AC compressor, water pump and alternator, and the right hand drive axle.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good, so how much did the engine cost? So you're aiming at like an USDM ralliart i guess?
Old May 10, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'm planning to turn a 2005 UK Sport Lancer into a USDM Lancer Ralliart.

thats 1.6 to 2.4 MIVEC
98bhp to 169bhp

My car already has TEIN basics and loads of other stuff...

What I am going to do in the mean time is add the RRM pulley to the engine, and get an RRM ported intake manifold and send them mine. I'll probably get the RRM downpipe as well, if they hurry up with the header ill get that also!

That engine cost me £1395 which must be about $2000.

All the other bits must have totalled about $1000 from the USA by now!
Old May 10, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

spending all this money on a swap, wouldnt be easier to just turbo ur existing motor and get more power?
Old May 10, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure if you do a $/HP comparison he's saving quite a bit and would still have funds left over to mod the engine. We, in the states, don't know how the G18 responds to boost (could be worse than the G94) so I think he's moving in the right direction.

What about transmission orientation and the starter motor?
Old May 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diavlo
The newer ones come with a 2.0 DOHC 4G63.
Someone else mentioned this, and also said the RA's get the strengthened Evo style chassis. So are they like FWD Evos? Turbo and all? or do they have N/A 4G63 engines? Do you have a link?
Old May 10, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

They are N/A (except for the Lancer 260 which is known as a poor man's evo being 260bhp and most of its performance bits stripped but still AWD ACD AYC), but the 2.0 lancers can come in AWD, my car has got an ACD button but it doesnt work obviously as my cars FWD! I'll get a pic if ya want.

Transmission orientation is exactly the same. The 4G18 from what i can tell from the shop manuals is very very similar to the 4G94 except for the intake manifold.

Anyhow, no need to debate my choice, its already been made!
Old May 10, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't ask about the G94. I only brought up the G94 beause everyone says "why not boost" instead of trying a swap. but some engines don't handle boost that well. The G94 needs a lot of internal work to make real power- the G18 could be even more fragile and boosting could be more expensive than a swap.....

That said, how does the G18 tranny compare to the G69?
Old May 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

From comparing shop manauls the tranny is exactly the same except for two lower gear ratios in 3rd and 4th. The transmission, and housing is exactly the same otherwise.

I personally feel that this engine will be better than boosting, and leaves the door open for boosting the 2.4 in the future for more power still.

The main reason I'm doing this is because I love a good project! There is no 2.4 lancer here, so I'm getting somat unique!
Old May 10, 2006, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

From comparing shop manauls the tranny is exactly the same except for two lower gear ratios in 3rd and 4th. The transmission, and housing is exactly the same otherwise.
Awesome- that's exactly what I wanted to know. That has been the major stumbling block (and expense) of most of the swap projects. I hope you don't have any major fabrication ahead of you, but it sounds more-or-less straightforward.

I personally feel that this engine will be better than boosting, and leaves the door open for boosting the 2.4 in the future for more power still.
exactly- if you wanna boost the G69 we have a large community of people who know the capabilities and limitations.

Best of luck!!!
Old May 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

They are all essentially F5M42 with different gear ratios, there doesnt seem to be any other difference. The all mount in the same orientation, and the bolt holes in my transmission housing line up with those on the 2.4 engine, so hopefully it will bolt up.
Old May 10, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

They are N/A (except for the Lancer 260 which is known as a poor man's evo being 260bhp and most of its performance bits stripped but still AWD ACD AYC), but the 2.0 lancers can come in AWD, my car has got an ACD button but it doesnt work obviously as my cars FWD! I'll get a pic if ya want.

Transmission orientation is exactly the same. The 4G18 from what i can tell from the shop manuals is very very similar to the 4G94 except for the intake manifold.

Anyhow, no need to debate my choice, its already been made!
so is the lancer 260 somewhat the some as our RS?
Old May 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

my car has got an ACD button but it doesnt work obviously as my cars FWD! I'll get a pic if ya want.
why would they put that and not be functunal. its like have a cruise control button but no cruise control..
Old May 10, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

...You should throw in a V8
Old May 11, 2006, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiCKlEyWiKeD
so is the lancer 260 somewhat the some as our RS?
no it=s basically a detuned version of the GSR. instead of making 276 or w/e it makes now, it only makes 260bhp.

but when compared to the FQ-400, it's slightly lacking

Quick Reply: The 4G18 to 4G69 Engine Swap Progress Thread!