Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Jc's Lab Black Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Great look, I definitely like it. Keep up with this project.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So where to begin? A lot has happened since last May - mainly maintenance items, autoX, snow storms, and a minor fender bender.

May 2016. Another 1/2 inch drop would be nice, but that would put more stress to the stock front lip. It's pretty beat up already.

August 2016. AutoX. I sucked at AutoX and the Ralliart wasn't ready at all. I was too impatient and caused a lot of understeer by stepping on the throttle early. The Hankook all season tires had no grip at all. Huck the car in a turn hard enough and the back end rotates!

October 2016. I swapped to a set of Stoptech Sport for the front and Centric Posi-quiet Ceramic for the rear. I've never done brakes before so it was quite a learning experience. Those darn squealer clips took the longest time to put on. I wasn't sure how they were supposed to be oriented, but in the end I managed.

November 2016. New starter and ignition switch was put in by TSS. She finally starts on the first crank!

And this happened. I bought a Grey Rallliart with a stripped reverse gear. Fixed the issue and put in a new clutch. The regrets are real and expensive. Don't tackle something with costs unknown. Since fixing her, I've driven MAYBE 400km. I like the way the Grey one rides with only lowered springs and OEM clutch. It's much more comfortable than coilovers and stage 2 clutch.

This Grey one has an aftermarket muffler and cool mesh grills. I'm going to take those off and swap with stock parts before I sell the car.

December 2016. First snow. First fender bender. I thought it would be cool to run all seasons during the winter instead of switching back to my Conti DWS tires. Worst idea ever. I'm never going to cheap out on tires ever again.

March 2017. BRalliart is going to the dealership for timing/balance/serpentine belt change, basically the whole 9 yards. I've got a couple of projects that I'm slowly working on. I bought a Griots DA orbital + pads + compound + polish to detail and restore the paint. The paint on my cars are disgusting, scratched, and not taken care of.

I also bought a set of JK Jeep Morimoto Sealed7 Bi-LED headlights (7" round) for the fun of it. They are brand new units, but put on closeout because casting was off. I plan to build a light bar mounted to the front of the RA via L brackets off of the two dampener weights in the front. My friend K gave me a harness that I hacked up. It's still a work in progress. The plan is to cover the Bi-LED headlights with amber coloured LaminX to give it a rally look. Plus the output *should* be yellow.

Last edited by jcmaz; Mar 8, 2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Wow! Welcome back. I see you have been busy.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 03:21 PM

Thanks SilentCool! It's refreshing to have the time to document everything.

March 2017. Fixed sunroof. The screws holding the motor was loose which caused the sunroof to skip so I took off the headliner (which was disgusting since the previous guy was a smoker) and applied blue loctite to the screws. They aren't going to loosen anytime soon XD

Future plans for BRalliart include better tires, reflash or ECU, EVO seats, and EVO 7 front end + rear flares (like K3lv's red Ralliart).
Old Mar 15, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jcmaz
Thanks SilentCool! It's refreshing to have the time to document everything.

March 2017. Fixed sunroof. The screws holding the motor was loose which caused the sunroof to skip so I took off the headliner (which was disgusting since the previous guy was a smoker) and applied blue loctite to the screws. They aren't going to loosen anytime soon XD

Future plans for BRalliart include better tires, reflash or ECU, EVO seats, and EVO 7 front end + rear flares (like K3lv's red Ralliart).
Awesome dude! Looks good, I'm definitely in for the updates!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 09:56 AM

@SilentCool, thanks buddy!!

April 2017: Changed brake fluid to Liqui Moly DOT5.1 with my dad. I ended up only using two 250ml bottles. It sure beats buying a tin (1L) of ATE Type 200 and wasting half of it. First time changing brake fluid... not a bad experience at all!

On the GRalliart, the engine vibrates like crazy when revving past 4500RPM. I suspect the PO screwed up the balance pulley install and installed it wrong, like this video.

I still need to test my theory out by shoving an allen key or screw driver in the test hole port thing just like what the guy does in the video below.

I really don't want to take it apart JUST to rotate the damn pulley... so much work :S But hey, I'd learn how to change timing belts and pulleys right?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice build man! I really like that skyline wheel setup you have! Funny, that gray ralliart looks just like mine (minus the lips). Also has transmission problems like mine haha.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
Very nice build man! I really like that skyline wheel setup you have! Funny, that gray ralliart looks just like mine (minus the lips). Also has transmission problems like mine haha.
Thanks Cmartin! For the grey one, I really want to get rid of it to buy a suv. Maybe an Isuzu Trooper or Montero!

Almost got into an accident a couple days ago. Pickup truck driver didn't bother to signal and cut me off

Old Apr 28, 2017, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scary bro... I got T-boned last year in my 05 envoy. Ended up flipping on its side and slid about 500ft. Luckily I was the only one injured (wife and kids were in the car) and it was just nasty elbow laceration.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

And the driver went along their merry way. Isn't that something.