Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

TURBO and SMOG questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TURBO and SMOG questions

Hi all, I have a few questions about the RRM Turbo kit.

1.) If i was to install the RRM turbo kit on my car what would I need to remove from the car when I go for an emissions test? (I Live in CT)

2.) What does the kit include from the exhaust manifold down?(dp, cat, etc.)

3.) Would I have to remove the piggyback when I go for the emissions? Or anything else for that matter?

4.) How long can I run the car with parts taken out to pass emissions without damaging the engine or turbo kit?

5.) Any other information about this would be deeply appreciated

Thank you
Old Nov 3, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck getting a turbo-kitted car to pass a smog inspection, especially if they open the hood.

If all they do is drive it on the rollers and analyze the exhaust, you might get lucky if your car is tuned right.

A piggyback would pass, no problems.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Good luck getting a turbo-kitted car to pass a smog inspection, especially if they open the hood.

If all they do is drive it on the rollers and analyze the exhaust, you might get lucky if your car is tuned right.

A piggyback would pass, no problems.
I'm not looking to get a turbo kit that will pass smog read the question again.
Thank's for replay any ways
Old Nov 3, 2005, 08:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That would depend on your local laws and how they check emissions. Do they just check for a CEL or do they actually put a sniffer in the exhaust? If it's the latter, you'll have to add a cat to your exhaust (RRM kit comes without). If they just check for a CEL, do the CEL eliminator trick.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 09:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.) If i was to install the RRM turbo kit on my car what would I need to remove from the car when I go for an emissions test? (I Live in CT)

If your local laws require visual inspections then you'll need to remove the entire kit. If it doesn't then you'll just want to put a highflow cat in your exhaust system and ask RRM to provide CEL eliminators for you.

The kit comes complete with everything you should need to boost safely. Includes tubular manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, o2 housing for turbo, intercooler, all piping and couplers, RRM piggyback with additional injector controller, all fuel modifying hardware, bigger fuel pump, all hose clamps needed, Intercooler mounting brackets, bov, MAS adapter intake pipe, instructions on the install of kit, and i'm sure i'm forgetting a couple other odds and ends but that's a good list. Basically it comes with everything you need.

3.) Would I have to remove the piggyback when I go for the emissions? Or anything else for that matter?

Shouldn't have to remove the piggy. Basically just disconnect the additional injector harness and wrap it up out of the way. The rest should be undetectable and the car will run fine NA on that setup for smog.

4.) How long can I run the car with parts taken out to pass emissions without damaging the engine or turbo kit?

As long as you remove everything as i stated above and go back to stock you will not hurt anything. However trying to run any part of the turbo kit on the car without everything installed could lead to serious issues. Stock the car will run fine for as long as you want to leave it that way. It'll just be slower

Hope all this info helps...

Old Nov 4, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I'am speechless THANK YOU ..........
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer

If your local laws require visual inspections then you'll need to remove the entire kit. If it doesn't then you'll just want to put a highflow cat in your exhaust system and ask RRM to provide CEL eliminators for you.

The kit comes complete with everything you should need to boost safely. Includes tubular manifold, turbo, wastegate, downpipe, o2 housing for turbo, intercooler, all piping and couplers, RRM piggyback with additional injector controller, all fuel modifying hardware, bigger fuel pump, all hose clamps needed, Intercooler mounting brackets, bov, MAS adapter intake pipe, instructions on the install of kit, and i'm sure i'm forgetting a couple other odds and ends but that's a good list. Basically it comes with everything you need.

Shouldn't have to remove the piggy. Basically just disconnect the additional injector harness and wrap it up out of the way. The rest should be undetectable and the car will run fine NA on that setup for smog.

As long as you remove everything as i stated above and go back to stock you will not hurt anything. However trying to run any part of the turbo kit on the car without everything installed could lead to serious issues. Stock the car will run fine for as long as you want to leave it that way. It'll just be slower

Hope all this info helps...

Nice write up bro, very informative. I was talking to Ciclon(he's my brother) and I was thinking to myself, the kit comes with an ic and all the parts for it, but would any modifications to the bumper support need to be done to mount it? or anything else cut besides the part where the piping goes into the ic ends? and im assuming you need to remove the whole panel with the foglights??? i think RRM did so i dont know.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 04:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the bumper reinforcement beam gets removed... as for cutting you're right. Just the intercooler in and outs should need trimming.

As for the fogs... RRM tossed them and that is what they recommend