Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build: Phase 2

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
did you see the manifold? turned out pretty good.

and you'll get your pics, i might have this going before snow starts falling.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So happy your doing this lol. I am definitely being subscribed to this thread. I am still looking into what exactly I need to turbo my RA so this thread is full of useful information. All is looking great and I can't wait to see a video or something when your done.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

oh there will be videos, and lots of pics...

So, a little update:

I'm a retard...I got my triple A-pillar pod, with boost and oil pressure gauges, and also got a box full of random intercooler piping, one of those universal kits everyone sells. However, i forgot to take pictures, y'all will have to wait till next weekend.

Also, the manifold was supposed to be finished this weekend, test fitting, and work was supposed to begin on the downpipe, but then this happened:

Took out the power lines to my house, spent all weekend cleaning up and repairing the damage at my own expense...some one doesn't want me to have a turbo

Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

If you ever need a FMIC, I have the stock one from my Evo that I can give you a sweet deal on. Good luck with the build!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Damn, that is unfortunate. Hopefully it didn't cost to much to clean up. Mother nature is definitely a b!tch.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

That does suck, sorry to here it. Hope all gets back on track asap because i do believe there are quite a few of us that are very anxious to see this car run! Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
If you ever need a FMIC, I have the stock one from my Evo that I can give you a sweet deal on. Good luck with the build!
can you post a pic? i would like to see how the inlet and outlet are oriented, do they fit the base lancer with relative ease? I've been really thinking about front mount, but decided on the sidemount cause it was free...this build IS to show how little can be spent on a turbo set up, if you're willing or able to the work yourself, but the front mount is something that has been nibbling at my brain since i made the decision to pursue a custom turbo set up.

And yes, tree branches are removed, yard cleaned up, damage to the house rectified, inspector scheduled for tuesday morning, and hopefully the power company can hook it up same day or next...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Thats good. Why step away from the SMIC and into a FMIC? Is it awkward to install or does it not perform as good or would you just rather the FMIC, whether it be for cosmic or install purposes?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

More capacity for cooling. The DSM SMIC is very small compared to a FMIC
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i'm really thinking about a FMIC...i'm kinda torn, i might just go with the sidemount to get the kit up and running, and see if it works well, and then switch to a front mount when i drop in a 16g.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the pics i promised.

Got the flange today, sometime this weekend, i'll test fit the turbo, and hopefully finish the manifold soon...It's 3/8 mild steel, i traced and measured the inlet flange on my turbo, and had this one custom cut with a water jet...price = free

Cheaped out on gauges, i didn't feel top notch gauges were totally necessary, but of course the wideband is of a trusted brand..the pod is made by glowshift as well, fitment is a bit off, not sure if it's because it's made for the Evo, but it's not too bad.

And here's the plumbing i have so far, i may need a few pieces here and there, but this should get me started.

Old Sep 3, 2011, 05:37 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looking good bro , keep up the good work and keep those pics coming
Old Sep 3, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Less talk, more building.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 08:15 PM

nice job man, if i had time to do this i would have join you on this build as well.
good luck and hope to hear more
Old Sep 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, so yesterday i did some test fitting in order to take the measurements and angles i need to finish the manifold. What i did was rested the turbo on the stock downpipe, and put a jack under it to hold it in place, then we played around with a few different positions before deciding on a final position. As it stands, i will not have to remove, or replace or reposition the radiator fans, however on the driver side fan, i just had to cut it a bit. Also the stock O2 housing for the 14b appears to fit just fine. It is quite a tight fit, i was surprised, mostly because of the internal wastegate actuator. With an external gate you would have more room to play. That being said, if you got slim fans you would be able to fit quite a large turbo in there.

So here, you can see the compressor housing, and the wastegate actuator how it clears the clutch slave, as well as the front engine mount.

And here is how it will sit as seen from above.

Here you can see there is very little clearance between the O2 housing, and the AC. Also there is a hard aluminum line there, which it just barely clears, but it is not too much trouble to cut and reweld it, or just bend it slightly toward the radiator, i would like to keep my AC.

Here is the bottom view of the O2 housing, as you can see it WILL clear the AC lines, but i think i may modify the line to be on the safe side as at some point i'll probably have a heat shield made to protect the AC compressor, and the alternator.

And here is how i modified the fan, first, to get the turbo to fit where i wanted it to clear the starter heat shield, the AC, motor mount, and clutch slave cylinder, i had to cut one of the fan mounts, which thankfully did not affect the balance of the fan, and also the fan motor is still quite secure. I also had to file down the fan shroud a bit on that side as well, to allow movement of the engine and turbo, to prevent it from banging into the fan shroud.

enjoy, cheers

-Garrett

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 4, 2011 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build: Phase 2