Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build: Phase 2

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats why I've been reluctant to put everything on.. not to mention just to busy. I imagine I will ride it hard and start breaking things lol. Nice to have spares around.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, i knew i was going to need a backup, so a picked up a couple when the gettin' was good, one came with the big 16g when i bought it, and the other i picked up, i think i paid 30 or 40 bucks for it...now these turbos were still on 1g DSM prior to buying them, so could very well have 200,000km on them, as long as the shaft play is very minimal or non-existent, the turbo still has life, and is likely still in balance, i may or may not be able to rebuild the one that's in the car.

Heck! a friend of mine blew a brand new FP Green the other day, $1,300 and it lasted a few weeks, the compressor contacted the housing quite violently after likely detroying a bearing...**** happens.

Don't be reluctant, just know it's like any other part, but it operates at extremely high temperatures, and moves faster than anything in or on the engine...it's fun, it's powerful, just know what you're getting into, and keep in mind, i drag race and track/autox quite often.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'm creeping up on 50K mi. so I don't wanna push it too hard before 60k service. Soon enough I'll put in the time to put everything on soon ...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

do the service now...you don't have to wait till 60k
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that's what I was kinda thinking. Going ahead with boosting might as well do everything else too, so I should be good for a bit. :Fingers crossed:
I would like it more if I had the cash to do stock ecu flashing, but someday hopefully.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kayouu
yeah that's what I was kinda thinking. Going ahead with boosting might as well do everything else too, so I should be good for a bit. :Fingers crossed:
I would like it more if I had the cash to do stock ecu flashing, but someday hopefully.
It's like everything else, save some money...from the time i bought a 1g DSM from a friend for $30, (and i think he likely didn't take me seriously) to the time i was experience my first 2nd gear pull with a turbocharged 4G69 was like a year and some...i spent just under 2k when it was all said and done, and it took me a year, that's the beauty of how it came together, it took a fair bit of research, and i took my time with it...by the time i was finished it took me like 8 hours or something to completely install it, a few hours to work out some kinks, and a few hours of fine tuning, hackish made it easy, hard as it is to get a hold of him, what he's doing is exactly what this platform needs, i plan on finding out what it's capable off for myself, i've heard the folklore, but i believe this motor has a lot more potential than people think, and the drivetrain becomes the weakest link.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

So, i ran slicks on the 1/4 mile...good idea? or bad idea...14.6 seconds, good idea...broken transmission? again?...bad idea i guess...

Good news is i thought it was the transmission, but it wasn't cause the axle shaft was broken inside what mitsubishi calls the "dynamic damper" so at first look, the axle looked fine, but upon jacking, once the suspension extended fully, the true cause of the failure was revealed as the broken shaft just sorta fell out...weird thing is it looks super corroded, to the point where the diameter of the shaft was reduced...and the CV joint pooped its grease all over the place...

carnage pictures

So, i'm glad i don't have to take the transmission apart again, but at the same time, i'm still down waiting for the new axle to arrive, and i have my doubts about the longetivity of the passenger side
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super corroded ?
I know someone whose passenger side axle is seized into the hub. He drove for a week with the axle nut off and no joy. He is hoping he can access a press next weekend.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ah, the joy of working and not getting ahead for 3 decades, but now being able to afford a corroding 14 year old Subaru winter car. My RA just lives a life of summertime luxury, seeing no salt fog.

Thank you for sharing, Crans. First time I've seen a CV axle bite it like that.

Turbo power + stupid-Canadian-oversalting-for-Pathetic-Seniors-wearing-Tilley-hats-or-blue-hair = Craziness
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, from the looks of it, the "dynamic damper" is just a salt water trap...similar to how my front stab bar endlinks failed inside the bushing...Nick, my car is too far gone to baby it now, but i sure envy your RA...I hope to someday be in the same boat.

I'm just wiping my brow, that it's not the transmission...so i know for sure our tranny's are good for 220whp on 040 treadwear R compound slicks. Brent is testiment to that at about 250whp. now i'm just waiting for that axle to show up...

George, is the axle being saved? cause a 32oz ball peen should get her out...might mushroom the end, and possibly harm the CV joint though .
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:22 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Ouch crans sorry to hear about your mishap but once the new axle is in you should be able to get some better times. That I look forward to
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

thanks...after some quirky behavior from the car, before and after the transmission overhaul, i'm starting to wonder if the axle wasn't already broken, but in a way that the two halves were sort of like meshing gears, cause i had some unexplained clunks, weird delays in power delivery, and even torque steer, that's why i was blaming the diff, but i'm wondering if it was a broken axle, providing just enough friction so that a "zero load" wasn't "detected" by the diff...the quaife biases torque very well, but when there is "zero load" on either side, it acts like an open diff, but it has to be zero, even a squealing blizzak in the middle of summer is a little bit of friction which will still aloow the diff to BIAS torque...

my goal for this year with a turbo charged motor was to shave a complete second off my best 1/4 ET, and trap 100mph...i was 3/10's away from, and 2mph shy of acheiving that goal.

Also i took the turbo system apart to inpect the turbo i thought i may have blown, and found an obvious boost leak...My BOV flange screws onto the flange, and an o-ring seals it...well the o-ring is MIA, likely ended up in the catalytic converter, lol...and the BOV flange pushed itself off the threads and cross-threaded itself, so it still felt tight, but was leaking like a sieve, so i just applied some sealant directly to the threads for the time being, if it doesn't hold, i'll have to get it welded...so i'm pretty confident the excess noise/whining from the turbo is just just it normally makes but that you wouldn't normally hear because it's a sealed system, this also contributes i'm sure to my wacky AFR's which i was still able to run 14.7's, but i think i could have improved on the 14.6 had these things not come up...

That's it for this season...I'll have some fun this winter, and next season will be the year of the big 16g, and i'll be upping the boost chasing 13's in the 1/4...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK

George, is the axle being saved? cause a 32oz ball peen should get her out...might mushroom the end, and possibly harm the CV joint though .

A 2 lb hammer is my standard technique, then I tried a sledge.
Messed up the axle nut quite well, but the axle didn't care.
I'm trying to change the wheel bearing, so I dont want to damage the axle at all.
If the *&^%$# ABS sensor was not $200 plus I would have already bought an axle and knuckle and said %^&&* it.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

lol, yeah...i actually broke one of my ABS sensors but it's still in there...no bolt though...Did you talk to Nick? If he still has access to the shop, they have a really nice press in there...if not i can borrow my Friend Ghislain's press again, if you wanted to make the trip...i have a wheel bearing/timing belt job to do on my ES, but i'm terrified cause it's 3 years older than my RA, and i haven't had to take the front end apart since i've owned it...so it's probably corrosion central, and i fear i'll be making good use of my cobalt drill bit and tap and die set, as well as the three or four varieties of inside and outside extractors i've acquired...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn that's crazy... On another note I was watching YouTube videos vtech vs mivec and I saw your comment on it thought it was funny all the videos where a Honda lost the race it's like 50% thumbs down.. Back on topic I do have the manifold up for grabs if you want dibs

Quick Reply: CrAnSwIcK's 4G69 Build: Phase 2