Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Maybe going turbo?

Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
don't bother...for 2 g's you could have a fully built block...rather than stock rebuild with rockauto parts...
Old Nov 6, 2014, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
don't bother...for 2 g's you could have a fully built block...rather than stock rebuild with rockauto parts...
Alright but I dont want a fully build block I just want something reliable to run my turbo setup. That also means that it's gona cost me a total of like 3gs with the head rebuild which is really not something I can afford.

Last edited by JTCB; Nov 6, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go to car parts dot com and buy a engine with 70k miles on it for 1k bucks with a one year warranty. You could throw that sucker in there with some ARP head studs and youre set.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

exactly...but even 1k is steep, i've seen them for like 5-600 with a little over 100k miles...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back on track

I was getting a little confused but I'm understanding. My advice is the same. Build the block for turbo and clean the head and slap on your turbo. Or drop ina good 4g63t you get your HP from that engine with ease.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk_Tsi
I was getting a little confused but I'm understanding. My advice is the same. Build the block for turbo and clean the head and slap on your turbo. Or drop ina good 4g63t you get your HP from that engine with ease.
I would love to get a 4g63t swap but it will cost way to much.

Its either

1. Rebuild the head and slam on the turbo. The only thing I'm worried about is that at about 120k km's my fan control module burned out and my car was overheating like crazy it went in the red a few times. I'm scared it burned the rings and when I put the turbo the engine wont last very long and that might also be why my car burns a little oil.

2. Rebuild the engine with oem parts. For everyone saying I should fully build the block, this is my daily I am really not looking to get 300hp out of the thing. I want something I can beat on and that will last with a fully rebuilt engine with oem parts I should have no problem beating on the car at about 6-7 psi on my daily commute and then turn it up to 11-12 when I want to have a little fun. I am also building a 1985 2.3T Merkur which is going to be my boosting machine so I wont get too tempted to always want more out of the RA. Im already very pleased with it just missing the PSHHHHHHHHHH sound .

What you guys thinking?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

12psi with a good tune should put you around the 300hp mark...I think you're over-thinking it...don't bother rebuilding...just overhaul it, replace the main seals, and timing belts, get the head done if you want to, and slap a turbo in there...you're turbocharging an N/A block and then asking for reliability...I can't predict the future, but my guess is, it will be fine, as long as the tune is solid
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

12psi with a good tune should put you around the 300hp mark...I think you're over-thinking it...don't bother rebuilding...just overhaul it, replace the main seals, and timing belts, get the head done if you want to, and slap a turbo in there...you're turbocharging an N/A block and then asking for reliability...I can't predict the future, but my guess is, it will be fine, as long as the tune is solid
I am over-thinking it. I just dont want to have a bad experience. I have been very unlucky with this car so far and I dont need more bad luck. So my logic right now is for 500$ I get pretty much all the parts to rebuild the block + the complete gasket set for the engine, the timing belts and the oil pump which seems like a good deal. I can then give the head a quick overhaul and slam on the turbo and think about it later. If your car has done around 60,000kms turbo'd with you always beating on it and now having the boost turned up to 12 psi on the stock block with my rebuild one I should be able to get at least twice that much mileage no?

Last edited by JTCB; Nov 12, 2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JTCB
I am over-thinking it. I just dont want to have a bad experience. I have been very unlucky with this car so far and I dont need more bad luck. So my logic right now is for 500$ I get pretty much all the parts to rebuild the block + the complete gasket set for the engine, the timing belts and the oil pump which seems like a good deal. I can then give the head a quick overhaul and slam on the turbo and think about it later. If your car has done around 60,000kms turbo'd with you always beating on it and now having the boost turned up to 12 psi on the stock block with my rebuild one I should be able to get at least twice that much mileage no?

14psi now

but yeah...it's not an exact science...it's actually more like shooting in the dark...who knows how much it will take...I'm just letting everyone know my story...I suppose mine could blow up any day...but it doesn't, time after time...I think I've actually had it turbocharged for like 3 years now...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

14psi now

but yeah...it's not an exact science...it's actually more like shooting in the dark...who knows how much it will take...I'm just letting everyone know my story...I suppose mine could blow up any day...but it doesn't, time after time...I think I've actually had it turbocharged for like 3 years now...
That's awesome! I was just watching the accel vid you made for me a while back. God it must be so much quicker now. I wouldnt mind seeing a 14 psi pull . Thats like my motivation to go turbo. I just hope ill be as lucky as you. Who knows I might just slam on a turbo like that and start gathering the rebuild parts for when it blows up. Only money will tell lol
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Crans' car does pull nice. Ill attest to that!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Crans' car does pull nice. Ill attest to that!
that was 10psi (only spiking to 12)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rebuild

Well since you seem to have blow by from burning oil aka bad piston ring maybe you should only resolve the piston rings and install stronger rods.