Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Replacing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2004, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing fuel filter

Has anyone replaced their fuel filter yet? I am at the point for a 15k service, and the dealer wants 220 for it, which I find a bit ridiculous. All they are going to do is change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil change, and rotate the tires. The oil change I can account for about 40 of the 220 which makes it about 180 for the remainder. Rotating tires takes about 5 minutes and well as changing the air filter and the spark plugs. But I seem to have a hard time finding an auto parts store that carries a fuel filter. I am away from my car so I can't look in the manual for any clarification because I am at school. If anyone has changed their own fuel filter please let me know where you got a new filter and how difficult it was.

Thanks
Stephen
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

well bro i think that the people at the dealer want to ripe you off , bastards, do it your self but i dont think that to replace the fuel filter is nesesary is up to you bro.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 06:53 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You might have to buy the fuel filter from the dealership. I can't find an aftermarket part number. Or you could take your filter off, take another car to the parts store, and match it. As far as difficulty in changing it, I haven't done it on this car yet, but usually they're pretty easy. Sometimes they require a small, cheap tool to get the quick-fitting thingy apart
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, I have never had a newer car. But it said something online about the fuel filter being in the fuel tank. Which to me, coming from older cars, seems like a pretty stupid place to put a filter, when you are supposed to decide on replacing the filter based partially on what the filter looks likes. And last I checked I can't see into the fuel tank. But I will look into it more, I am not concerned in the least about the rest of the parts.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:07 PM

in tank filters 100,000 miles
non-in tank filters 30,000 miles, not sure what the ra is
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xstephenx
yeah, I have never had a newer car. But it said something online about the fuel filter being in the fuel tank. Which to me, coming from older cars, seems like a pretty stupid place to put a filter, when you are supposed to decide on replacing the filter based partially on what the filter looks likes. And last I checked I can't see into the fuel tank. But I will look into it more, I am not concerned in the least about the rest of the parts.
2 things...

First, you do not change our plugs at 15K. According to my service interval manual, our platinum tipped plugs are replaced at the 60K mark! Dont let them do this and charge you for it. You could let them do it, then when they give you the bill for it, show them your service manual where it shows the plug interval for our cars, and let them swallow the cost. And new plugs for you! That would teach em! I know... abit harsh.

Second, on newer cars, fuel filters can not be check visually. They are usually steel or aluminum cased, located along the frame of the car. Usually near the rear. Just follow the fuel lines coming out of the tank. You will eventually come to it. As far as time intervals for changing, I cant find it in my book, but every 15k is about right.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:39 PM
EvoM Guru

the RA doesn't seem to have a fuel filter. same as the non-RA lancers. it does have, what another person on the board referred to(sorry, don't remember who), a "water sock" that attaches to the fuel pump inlet. apparently keeps water from getting into the pump. there is no routine change for the water sock.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i replaced what was considered the fuel filter on my ES at about 35k miles. it was on the driver side of the engine bay right by the pump (pretty low down. just follow the line). Was a b1tch to get off though. havnt noticed it in the RA but im pretty sure its different. either way, its way to early to be doing most of the stuff ur dealer is suggesting you do. i would find a new dealer to work with.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I was just calling and seeing what they were doing. And the guy at the dealership said (probably shouldn't trust them though) that the plugs were not platinum or iridium and so they required changing at 15k. I am going to look into it a little later, because when I started telling the guy that I was pretty sure we had platinum plugs he seemed to be getting confused. So I think I am going to go grab my service manual and figure out exactly what is going on.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 08:16 PM
EvoM Guru

blk-majik - what did it look like and how much did it cost? i'm a bit confused cuz you said it's next to the pump in the engine bay when the pump is in the tank under the back seats.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm does anyone know what other stuff mitsubishi does on the services I got the free 3 year maintence but I dont really think its going to be worth it to take off all my mods so I would rather do everything my self.

Nick
Old Nov 29, 2004, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

i tried to change the fuel filter in my es a while back, but the service guy at my dealer told me that the filter was part of the pump assembly and id have to change the whole fuel pump. and the fuel pump is located in the tank, but im not sure how different the ralliart is.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wrecked
2 things...

First, you do not change our plugs at 15K. According to my service interval manual, our platinum tipped plugs are replaced at the 60K mark! Dont let them do this and charge you for it. You could let them do it, then when they give you the bill for it, show them your service manual where it shows the plug interval for our cars, and let them swallow the cost. And new plugs for you! That would teach em! I know... abit harsh.

Second, on newer cars, fuel filters can not be check visually. They are usually steel or aluminum cased, located along the frame of the car. Usually near the rear. Just follow the fuel lines coming out of the tank. You will eventually come to it. As far as time intervals for changing, I cant find it in my book, but every 15k is about right.
that won't work. as soon as he oks them to do the work, he is responsible for the cost. doesn't matter what the manual says. the work is done and was delivered in good order, so he is by law responsible for the charges

-joe
Old Nov 30, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
that won't work. as soon as he oks them to do the work, he is responsible for the cost. doesn't matter what the manual says. the work is done and was delivered in good order, so he is by law responsible for the charges

-joe
I dont know. I hear what you are saying, but they are the professionals. If they changed out my plugs, and put in new cheap ones, then after the fact I found out that my car had platinum plugs that shouldnt have been done, I would demand my money back for the plug change and the proper plugs be put back in!
Old Nov 30, 2004, 08:31 PM

ok two things....
1st...filter is in-tank (recommend replacement 100,000 miles)
2nd...plugs are either platinum/iridium (recommend replacemetn 60,000)

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel filter