Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Those of you with RRM ECU & DOWNPIPE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of you with RRM ECU & DOWNPIPE

For those of you ralliart guys with both of those parts installed on your car, can you write up a post of how both of these parts are and how well they both added power? Now I know the downpipe is loud as crap, i would know, but i know of some people on here that put a resonator on to calm down the noise a little...for those of you who put the resonator on, can you guys let me know WHERE you got it? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put the resonator on the downpipe itself? do you mean a cat? if ur gonna do a res, i suggest just getting the cat. it will give the same resonating effect and make u legal /w no CEL issues.

but the piggy works pertty well. if you are so inclined, i would suggest getting a universal piggy and tuning if you have access to a wideband and a few dyno pulls. for the price of the rrm piggy and the limits it puts on you, i think the alternative is pretty tempting for anyone with the ability to do the work.

dunno about the dp, but I think I am gonna have VRS make one for the RA soon. if i do, ill keep everyone posted =)
Old Jul 16, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
put the resonator on the downpipe itself? do you mean a cat? if ur gonna do a res, i suggest just getting the cat. it will give the same resonating effect and make u legal /w no CEL issues.

but the piggy works pertty well. if you are so inclined, i would suggest getting a universal piggy and tuning if you have access to a wideband and a few dyno pulls. for the price of the rrm piggy and the limits it puts on you, i think the alternative is pretty tempting for anyone with the ability to do the work.

dunno about the dp, but I think I am gonna have VRS make one for the RA soon. if i do, ill keep everyone posted =)
Yeah, i guess i could just take off the cat from my stock exhaust system and weld it on there somehow. Cause hi flow cats are a waste if you ask me. I want the downpipe, but after hearing how crappy it sounds on an RA, but i guess you have to sacrifice sound in order to get performance. As far as a universal piggy and setting it up, i have no clue whatsoever how to work those things. Like the aem ems standalone, that would be like somebody giving me a page written in hieroglyphics and asking me to translate it.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cant tell you about the downpipe, but the piggyback is worth the money. i dont know if its as good as the universal they are talking about up there, but the rrm one is pretty good. You feel a huge boost of power at 3800 rpms
Old Jul 17, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

I know...I have one

I guess what Im asking is how much faster the car is with BOTH of them on there. Most of the people on here either have one or the other, but not BOTH.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

i have both and it's a nice combo. with the piggy-back you have low and mid range with the down-pipe you have top end power! i pull on a rx8 on the freeway slowly with cold-air-intake , piggy-back , and down-pipe. the downpipe is the best bolt on for our cars! BLKRALLIART04 you should buy the downpipe ,you will love it!
Old Jul 17, 2005, 12:32 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You have the axleback, so you'll probably get used to the sound. I have, doesn't bother me anymore.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

i think that you are better off keeping the stock cat since its' all wielded onto the stock pipe and stuff and cost A LOT OF MONEY to buy another one if you ever want to put the car back to stock and sell it

i think the dealer quoted me over $800 CAD for the stock down pipe with cat.. a hi flow cat is much cheaper than that and you don't have to pay somebody to cut up the stock one to salvage a dead cat

-joe
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

I have the piggy-dp combo. They day I drove away with the DP and Piggy I noticed a huge gain, but I did not want to drive the car cause it was too loud. The next day I had a high flow cat and resonator installed. I did feel a slight loss in power, but I had the added comfort of no cops and at least a bearable sound. Its still quite loud. When I go to the auto-x course I'm one of the loudest cars there and many don't have a CAT. I guess I would need a second resonator. OVerall, much improved acceleration, but more in the midrange to high end. A small loss in very low end torque, but that's ok in 1st gear cause you just spin the tires. I guess I'm so used to it now that I can't really compare to a stock RA, but I did drive a stock one the other day and it pulled down low. Hope this helps
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
hi flow cats are a waste if you ask me. I want the downpipe, but after hearing how crappy it sounds on an RA, but i guess you have to sacrifice sound in order to get performance.
Hey, Blk... In all honesty I think in this instance a hi-flow cat ($65.00 almost anywhere on the internet) would be the best bet...
Because you can help the sound a bit and also still pass emissions, and not worry about CEL... Just my $.02... I don't have one YET, so I can't say how much it helps the sound, but I do plan on it...