Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Researching AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the lancer was murdered by a bunch of theives. I got so close to doing this project, but some real profressional theives took my car and a load of Subaru STi's... never seen again although their are many clues that they have all been stripped down.

I've already had to move on, new cars an Evo IX.

The best advice I could give about the whole AWD conversion for the lancer... is to obtain a wrecked Outlander and transfer from that. It would require a fair bit of custom work at the rear though.

I tell you what though, I was drawn into loving my car... wanting to make it better than it was... But after it was stolen, I had to confront the fact it was just a car, and that the important thing was we didnt get hurt, as the theives were apparently armed and willing to fire.

I thought if my lancer ever got stolen or wrecked I'd be incredibly sad, but I've quickly fallen for the Evo IX, and I hate to say it but it would be better upgrading to an Evo rather than upgrading the lancer with an AWD conversion.

I dont regret it though of course... I loved working on that car... It was great fun. My only point is - I lost a lot of money when it got stolen, If my Evo gets stolen, it can be replaced easily.

A custom engine-swapped, turboed, AWD lancer.... could not.

Just imagine... if I'd have installed the turbo, and the AWD conversion... THEN it got stolen!

Thank God they stole it now and I have a chance to recoup the AWD and Turbo money spent - not once i was done leaving me with nothing.

Anyhow - I'll still be around here giving advice. I'll do a proper honest comparison of Evo IX to Lancer Ralliart as well... All the proper details like how it feels on the road, etc

Last edited by Diavlo; Nov 19, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

nooooooooooooooo. im sorry to hear that. but congrats on the new evo. well i guess im the only one doing this now. well since you got most of the know how, you have to help me with mine over msn when i start it. and send me diagrams and info.

p.s. damn that really sux! i was really looking forward to seeing yours done. i need your help now. i know u want to see this project actually get completed.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I'll give any help where I can. I just hope your able to afford it! I'd feel guilty inspiring people to spend a shedload of money on something that has a couple of unknowns attached, like the removal of the stock rear crossmember and installation of the outlander's rear crossmember with Diff support.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Diavlo
Yeah sorry to dissapoint everyone, but the lancer was murdered by a bunch of theives. I got so close to doing this project, but some real profressional theives took my car and a load of Subaru STi's... never seen again although their are many clues that they have all been stripped down.

I've already had to move on, new cars an Evo IX.

The best advice I could give about the whole AWD conversion for the lancer... is to obtain a wrecked Outlander and transfer from that. It would require a fair bit of custom work at the rear though.

I tell you what though, I was drawn into loving my car... wanting to make it better than it was... But after it was stolen, I had to confront the fact it was just a car, and that the important thing was we didnt get hurt, as the theives were apparently armed and willing to fire.

I thought if my lancer ever got stolen or wrecked I'd be incredibly sad, but I've quickly fallen for the Evo IX, and I hate to say it but it would be better upgrading to an Evo rather than upgrading the lancer with an AWD conversion.

I dont regret it though of course... I loved working on that car... It was great fun. My only point is - I lost a lot of money when it got stolen, If my Evo gets stolen, it can be replaced easily.

A custom engine-swapped, turboed, AWD lancer.... could not.

Just imagine... if I'd have installed the turbo, and the AWD conversion... THEN it got stolen!

Thank God they stole it now and I have a chance to recoup the AWD and Turbo money spent - not once i was done leaving me with nothing.

Anyhow - I'll still be around here giving advice. I'll do a proper honest comparison of Evo IX to Lancer Ralliart as well... All the proper details like how it feels on the road, etc
That is terrible news. your project was terribly interesting...

I believed that the lancer could be modified to be comparable to an evo, but I dont believe it...just too much work
Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
effin thieves! what a waste...maybe it just wasnt meant to be. congrats on the evo tho.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear.

At least we'll hear an honest comparison. Diavlo always gives the best/accurate advice.

Glad you moved on to better things
Old Nov 22, 2007, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Pm me if you want to talk about parts. I dont understand fully the rules of selling stuff on here. But I have brand new boxed rear ralliart RRM brake disks, that you guys can make me an offer on, an Evo oil cooler kit that will fit the lancer ralliart, and all the parts I'd collected for the AWD conversion.

I need to get rid of it all now, its just taking up space. I dont think I could ship the transfer case, prop shaft, fuel tank or differential to the USA though!

I have an ebay store here:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jackal-Sans-Spares-and-Repairs

Shame it had to end this way, but it was out of my control of course.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

i'll try to finish what ya started diavlo

Last edited by akira2_03; Nov 26, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 04:49 PM

Very interesting

This might help It's not the same car but it's the same concept

3rd Gen AWD Eclipse
http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-...n-eclipse.html
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:04 PM

diavlo, i am so sorry to hear what had happen to you. i plan in sometime to buy a evo ix my self. but i will never be able to drive here in canada. until it is 15 years old. my i got my ralliart. i guess it will be a big model for me.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

diavlo im very interested in all the AWD conversion. how much do u want to let it all go for? im willing to pick up to conteract shipping issues
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

you may want to pm him, i doubt he still checks these forums....
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

A handful of people converted 2nd gen DSM eclipse spyder GS-T's into "AWD spyders". All of them that did the conversion properly ended up spending more than the car was worth, and relative to the cost of the Lancer vs. Evo, it would end up being cheaper to just go out and buy an Evo. And I imagine that this has already been said before, but I didnt want to sift through 4 pages of this thread.

p.s. damn shame they took your project car diablo
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

^ yeah but when people build cars like this its not because they want to be evo, the RA is a fantastic base car, but with FWD and big TQ its not that easy to get it to the ground, and also its the experiance and fun of building a car of your own

when i get a place of my own and have enought money i want to buy a little 2 door lightweight hatch and drop in a 4G69 becuase it is an excellent motor, and it will be a blast making something like that...
i would have loved to buiild a GT-HO but they are too expensive

to sum up: stop saying "cheaper to get an evo", "buy and evo" etc, its not about having an evo or trying to be an evo, its a custom project ...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

if anyone has followe the threads and pictures of my r/a people know im bout the things people want to do but may not have time,tools, money or knowhow to do i learn as i go and its fun with the end result

Quick Reply: Researching AWD Conversion